Contribute
Register

UtterDisbelief's B760 and i5-14600K CPU Build

Update no.1

macOS Sonoma incoming:

about-sonoma.png

So far I haven’t sorted wireless but everything else seems to be working including Bluetooth.

I’ll test some more before posting an EFI, but basically the original will boot and install Sonoma.

I installed to a fresh SSD from a USB installer made as per our Sonoma Guide.

:)

Last edited:
Update no.2

macOS Sonoma has now been added as an option in the first post. Also included is a new EFI folder.

Is there an ITX motherboard you'd recommend for a 14th gen build?

Related:
Do all the options require a flash first do you know?

Is there an ITX motherboard you'd recommend for a 14th gen build?

Related:
Do all the options require a flash first do you know?

Hi there.

Personally I would choose Gigabyte or Asus. Which exact model you find in your local area might dictate which. As for chipset, I think the B760 is a sweet spot and a lot cheaper than the Z790. So I would look at Gigabyte B760I AORUS PRO DDR4 for example.

I am aware of the ASRock ITX models and have used them in the past but they often have unique little issues which make Hackintoshing them trickier.

As for 14th Gen compatibility for a Gigabyte model you would need BIOS version F8 or newer for that. So any need for flashing will depend on what is shipped to you. I have built 2x Gigabyte B760 based Hackintoshes and both motherboards needed flashing before I could use the 14th gen CPU.

Hope that helps.

Hi there.

Personally I would choose Gigabyte or Asus. Which exact model you find in your local area might dictate which. As for chipset, I think the B760 is a sweet spot and a lot cheaper than the Z790. So I would look at Gigabyte B760I AORUS PRO DDR4 for example.

I am aware of the ASRock ITX models and have used them in the past but they often have unique little issues which make Hackintoshing them trickier.

As for 14th Gen compatibility for a Gigabyte model you would need BIOS version F8 or newer for that. So any need for flashing will depend on what is shipped to you. I have built 2x Gigabyte B760 based Hackintoshes and both motherboards needed flashing before I could use the 14th gen CPU.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! Super helpful

Is there anything off the top of your head you'd say to me, as a z370 user with a FULLY functional Hack on Monterey, to warn me?

Is going 14th gen a bad idea on any compatibility or "issues with macOS" front, etc?

I'd thought of going with the newest ITX MoBo (like that B760I) but going 12th gen for now (since pricing is so good) -- but also content going right to 14th gen if there's no real compatibility/frustration/issue difference between 12th/14th for Hack usage

Ultimately I'd like to end up on an i5 14600K or KF I think -- I like the bang for the buck

Last edited:
Thank you! Super helpful

Is there anything off the top of your head you'd say to me, as a z370 user with a FULLY functional Hack on Monterey, to warn me?

Is going 14th gen a bad idea on any compatibility or "issues with macOS" front, etc?

I'd thought of going with the newest ITX MoBo (like that B760I) but going 12th gen for now (since pricing is so good) -- but also content going right to 14th gen if there's no real compatibility/frustration/issue difference between 12th/14th for Hack usage

Ultimately I'd like to end up on an i5 14600K or KF I think -- I like the bang for the buck

I agree. The i5-14600k is a great CPU and I was as worried as you when I set out, having jumped from fully sorted 10th gen machines.

However I did my research (here obviously! :D ) and recommend @CaseySJ and @Stork 's 12th gen builds as great ways to learn what is needed. Basically we still need to spoof a 10th gen CPU but add detail of the new topologies by way of kexts.

In general there are no difficulties when running macOS. Power-management is taken care of with bespoke SSDTTime SSDTs, just like any other hack'. No crazy temperatures or lack of power when needed.

Bear in mind, building any new hackintosh on new technology can always be potentially frustrating at times. Things go wrong or get missed. I can only think wake/sleep could be a something you'll need to pay attention to. I found this build's power-management was spot-on, however my (as yet unpublished) b760M build has been more finickerty. Probably down to BIOS differences.

Back