Contribute
Register

Upgrading Laptop screen to 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to decide if its worth it to upgrade. And if so what size I should get. I don't want too small.

What do you guys think?

blueking said:
I'm trying to decide if its worth it to upgrade. And if so what size I should get. I don't want too small.

What do you guys think?

Personally I have never seen in my life 15.6 fhd screen. The best I had was a 15.4 1680x1050 and it was an LG ccf, and was quite perfect. I am going to fhd cause I have plenty of videos taken with my camera at this res. I am also an avid photographer and that's why I need a as high res screen as possible. Also hd+ compared to fhd screens' prices are almost the same.
My opinion is that the higher the res the better.
Today OS are way ahead than they were a few years back and you can define everything including letter size and icon size. So I don't think too small would be a problem.

BigDonkey said:
liposuction said:
Hehe beat you to the punch! I'm guessing you'll have yours in before me though. :)
Can't beat corporate perks :)

I'm happy that we have what it looks like a winner: 646274-001

Yeah I don't think I got the same p/n as you though. The 4430s top cover comes off easily enough though. Fortunately I bought a set of hinge covers as well. Those things were a PITA to get off on the 4430s.

EDIT - New cable is in. Here's the hidden ground that you have to replace. I pulled a bunch of stuff off but really the power connector slides right out and the grounding screw is right there. Now to try and get it all back together.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    704.2 KB · Views: 178
Okay. Either I screwed up, or the cable doesn't matter. New HD+ cable. Same issue in windows. It acts like there's a problem with the screen. It's legible but slightly screwball.

This is in Win7 with the original factory install and HD.

Windows shows that 1600x900 is the optimum resolution but it's not working properly.

No this is bigger than that. I just went into the bios and got a slight reddish hue to the background in the post and bios.

Eff.

liposuction said:
No this is bigger than that. I just went into the bios and got a slight reddish hue to the background in the post and bios.

Eff.
I read somewhere that some laptops check monitor's EDID against BIOS whitelist. Let's hope that's not the case here.

BigDonkey said:
liposuction said:

Eff.
I read somewhere that some laptops check monitor's EDID against BIOS whitelist. Let's hope that's not the case here.

Yeah not sure what's going on. It looks really bad though. Gotta do some digging.

EDIT - It's the exact same issue with the other cable. So either:

- The cable is wrong
- The notebook is rejecting the screen
- I installed it incorrectly

Hmmmm....

Blarg. I can't get anything to work right with the 1600x900 screen. Checked my connections. Checked my cable. Pretty frustrated. I'm going to switch screens back but leave the new cable and see if I can just get my 4430s functioning again so I can work this weekend. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back