Contribute
Register

Upgrading Laptop screen to 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like a real chump for asking this, because I've always been "that guy" people come to do do this kind of thing, but I'm getting old and need to learn to accept my limitations.

Any one willing to point me to a service that could this 1080p Upgrade for me?
I have a 4530S with that works except for a broken stock screen, a AU OPTRONICS LCD SCREEN B156HW01 V.4 15.6", and even the HP cable needed to do the job.

The problems are:
1. I've been suffering from diabetic retinopathy. Under normal circumstances I can see fine, but lately I've been getting bleeds inside my eye that cloud my vision and make doing detail work real hard.

2. I've been taking care of my disabled mother.

The combination has made is impossible for me to get this done myself. I've had the parts since the end of January.

Anyone willing to help me out will be doing some one a solid during a real hard time.

I'd prefer someone who has actually done it successfully before.

Thanks in advance, and please don't flame me bro?

I feel like a real chump for asking this, because I've always been "that guy" people come to do do this kind of thing, but I'm getting old and need to learn to accept my limitations.

Any one willing to accept like $100 USD to do this 1080p Upgrade for me?
I have a 4530S with that works except for a broken stock screen, a AU OPTRONICS LCD SCREEN B156HW01 V.4 15.6", and even the HP cable needed to do the job.

The problems are:
1. I've been suffering from diabetic retinopathy. Under normal circumstances I can see fine, but lately I've been getting bleeds inside my eye that cloud my vision and make doing detail work real hard.

The combination has made is impossible for me to get this done myself. I've had the parts since the end of January.

Anyone willing to help me out will not only be making a buck, you'll be doing some one a solid during a real hard time.
Money and good Karma. How can you say "no"?

I'm sympathise with your situation but please be mindful of the site rules :

'No member can ask, accept, offer or provide any form of compensation to any other member for any form of assistance.'

Maybe you could see if there is anyone reasonably local you could meet up with to exchange ideas......

Any one willing to accept like $100 USD to do this 1080p Upgrade for me?

The problems are:

Anyone willing to help me out will not only be making a buck, you'll be doing some one a solid during a real hard time.
Money and good Karma. How can you say "no"?

Look for a reputable local computer repair shop. Refer them to this thread.

I'm sympathise with your situation but please be mindful of the site rules :

'No member can ask, accept, offer or provide any form of compensation to any other member for any form of assistance.'

Maybe you could see if there is anyone reasonably local you could meet up with to exchange ideas......

Opps.... sorry. I edited the original post. Hope it's more TOS acceptable.

Well, I found a local guy who did the install, but the screen does not look good.
It says it's 1080p in Windows setting and the icons are smaller like a 1080 screen. (Haven't gotten it Hackintoshed yet.) But it looks really washed out and the image is very dithered. Almost like every other vertical line is missing.

Did I just get a bum screen?

Can any one tell me, is that what happens when you don't use the 4730 video cable? Will an AU OPTRONICS LCD SCREEN B156HW01 V.4 15.6" work at all with the old cable? I have a sneaking suspicion he didn't bother to install the 4730 cable I ordered.

I'm hoping it's just a bum screen because if I don't have to go under the keyboard to replace the cable, I can just get a replacement and swap that myself.

If he didn't change my cable I'll have to go back and threaten his family's lives. :-D

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, I found a local guy who did the install, but the screen does not look good.
It says it's 1080p in Windows setting and the icons are smaller like a 1080 screen. (Haven't gotten it Hackintoshed yet.) But it looks really washed out and the image is very dithered. Almost like every other vertical line is missing.

Did I just get a bum screen?

Can any one tell me, is that what happens when you don't use the 4730 video cable? Will an AU OPTRONICS LCD SCREEN B156HW01 V.4 15.6" work at all with the old cable? I have a sneaking suspicion he didn't bother to install the 4730 cable I ordered.

I'm hoping it's just a bum screen because if I don't have to go under the keyboard to replace the cable, I can just get a replacement and swap that myself.

If he didn't change my cable I'll have to go back and threaten his family's lives. :-D

Any help would be appreciated.

It will not work with the original cable. Not sure what happens if you do that as I never tried...

Replacing the cable requires complete disassembly as per the guide here.

It will not work with the original cable. Not sure what happens if you do that as I never tried...

Replacing the cable requires complete disassembly as per the guide here.

That's what I assumed. Is the connector for the old cable and the new screen even the same? Are they all 40 pin cables?
This screen IS working, but my blacks are a light gray.

He popped in a different 13xx by 786 screen on the cable and it had solid blacks and looked normal, but of course it didn't do 1080.
The screen in there now is Ok. It's mostly readable, and definitely 1080p. Just kind of washed out.

That's what I assumed. Is the connector for the old cable and the new screen even the same? Are they all 40 pin cables?

Same connector, but more pins are active.

This screen IS working, but my blacks are a light gray.

He popped in a different 13xx by 786 screen on the cable and it had solid blacks and looked normal, but of course it didn't do 1080.
The screen in there now is Ok. It's mostly readable, and definitely 1080p. Just kind of washed out.

Sounds like a bad cable, bad screen, poorly seated cable, or wrong cable... The tech should have noticed before handing the computer back to you, double checked his work, and fixed it if possible.

Same connector, but more pins are active.

Sounds like a bad cable, bad screen, poorly seated cable, or wrong cable... The tech should have noticed before handing the computer back to you, double checked his work, and fixed it if possible.

To be fair, he did. The panel was mine and I gave him the cable.
I just didn't sit there while he installed it.

The cable was a 646274-001 ordered directly from HP.

Since I'm having a problem, I'm suspicious. The old screen was cracked really badly, so this option was more usable than what I had.

Should have taken the broken screen and old cable for good measure, but... well, you read about some of my problems lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back