Contribute
Register

Unibeast USB stick not booting (Lenovo B5400)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo B5400
CPU
Intel Core i5 4200M, Intel Haswell Rev.06 Chipset
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4600, 1366x768
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello guys!

This is my first post here, and I'm kinda embarrassed that it's a call for help..

After reading the Unibeast Guide for Mavericks, I tried to apply it on my Lenovo B5400 (i5 4200M, 2.5GHz), which I understand is Hackintosh-compatible (Haswell CPU, Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics, and a TP-LINK compatible WiFi adapter).

I prepared the USB drive (I tried with both a 64GB USB 3.0 drive, and a 16GB USB 2.0 drive), and changed the BIOS settings (AHCI mode, Optimized Defaults, and Virtualisation Tech. off), but the USB won't boot, and Windows 8.1 boot instead.

I tried disabling a BIOS feature called "Secure Boot", and even excluded the Windows 8.1 drive from the boot order, in order to "force" the laptop to boot from the USB, but no luck. I also tried making a bootable USB using Clover, but the result is the same. Google-ing didn't help either..

Any help to a noob like me is really appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Konstantinos

Hello guys!

This is my first post here, and I'm kinda embarrassed that it's a call for help..

After reading the Unibeast Guide for Mavericks, I tried to apply it on my Lenovo B5400 (i5 4200M, 2.5GHz), which I understand is Hackintosh-compatible (Haswell CPU, Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics, and a TP-LINK compatible WiFi adapter).

I prepared the USB drive (I tried with both a 64GB USB 3.0 drive, and a 16GB USB 2.0 drive), and changed the BIOS settings (AHCI mode, Optimized Defaults, and Virtualisation Tech. off), but the USB won't boot, and Windows 8.1 boot instead.

I tried disabling a BIOS feature called "Secure Boot", and even excluded the Windows 8.1 drive from the boot order, in order to "force" the laptop to boot from the USB, but no luck. I also tried making a bootable USB using Clover, but the result is the same. Google-ing didn't help either..

Any help to a noob like me is really appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Konstantinos

Use whatever mechanism the laptop provides for selecting a boot device. Newer Lenovos come with a special button to be used instead of the normal power button.

For Unibeast, you must disable secure boot and enable legacy boot.

Note: You will also need to patch the kernel.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-locked-msrs-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq.html

Use whatever mechanism the laptop provides for selecting a boot device. Newer Lenovos come with a special button to be used instead of the normal power button.

For Unibeast, you must disable secure boot and enable legacy boot.

Note: You will also need to patch the kernel.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-locked-msrs-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq.html

Thank you very much for the quick response!!

There is no special mechanism, just the F12 button. I disabled Secure Boot, and in the Boot option, there is a drop-down menu (UEFI only, Legacy Only, Both), where I selected Legacy Only. Then, I rebooted, and the same thing happened, it booted Windows.

Now, regarding the kernel patching, if I understood correctly, I should patch the kernel after the installation, right?

Thank you very much for the quick response!!

There is no special mechanism, just the F12 button. I disabled Secure Boot, and in the Boot option, there is a drop-down menu (UEFI only, Legacy Only, Both), where I selected Legacy Only. Then, I rebooted, and the same thing happened, it booted Windows.

Now, regarding the kernel patching, if I understood correctly, I should patch the kernel after the installation, right?

You have to press whatever key is used to select boot device. Refer to your user manual. It is not the same key used to enter BIOS settings.

As far as patching the kernel, read carefully.

You have to press whatever key is used to select boot device. Refer to your user manual. It is not the same key used to enter BIOS settings.

As far as patching the kernel, read carefully.

Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous message. The F12 is indeed used for the BIOS menu. The ENTER was the one that brings up the menu to choose a temporary boot device. That's the one that doesn't work well, changing the boot device priority in the BIOS was not a problem at all (USB HDD is #1), but selecting the USB as a boot device doesn't work.

I read the post about the kernel patching. I am ready to patch the mach_kernel of the USB, which of the two patches do I use, the xpcm, or the Local APIC one?

Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous message. The F12 is indeed used for the BIOS menu. The ENTER was the one that brings up the menu to choose a temporary boot device. That's the one that doesn't work well, changing the boot device priority in the BIOS was not a problem at all (USB HDD is #1), but selecting the USB as a boot device doesn't work.

I read the post about the kernel patching. I am ready to patch the mach_kernel of the USB, which of the two patches do I use, the xpcm, or the Local APIC one?

Make sure you created the USB correctly. Perhaps you used GPT partitioning instead of MBR as stated in the guide.

Use both patches if you're unsure.

Make sure you created the USB correctly. Perhaps you used GPT partitioning instead of MBR as stated in the guide.

Use both patches if you're unsure.

I patched the kernel, and now I was able to enter the Unibeast menu!!! :D I didn't know how to select the Mavericks Installer, since there was no highlighting on the icons. I just pressed the Down arrow from the keyboard, selected boot, and I am in the grey screen with the Apple logo and the black loader below it (Not the beach ball, but the one that is shown when the Mac OS X starts up. Is it normal to be in that screen for like 10 minutes now (also the LED of the USB stick, indicating that it's being read, is not turning on and off after I enter this grey screen)?

I patched the kernel, and now I was able to enter the Unibeast menu!!! :D I didn't know how to select the Mavericks Installer, since there was no highlighting on the icons. I just pressed the Down arrow from the keyboard, selected boot, and I am in the grey screen with the Apple logo and the black loader below it (Not the beach ball, but the one that is shown when the Mac OS X starts up. Is it normal to be in that screen for like 10 minutes now (also the LED of the USB stick, indicating that it's being read, is not turning on and off after I enter this grey screen)?

Boot using flags:
dart=0 nv_disable=1 -v

Also,

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx). For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Boot using flags:
dart=0 nv_disable=1 -v

Also,

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx). For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

I used the boot flag, and, instead of the grey screen, the pc started reading MANY HFS+ files from the USB, and finally it stuck at the lines:

"ApplePS2Controller: set CommandByte for mouse interrupt install
ApplePS2Controller: oldCommandByte = 45
ApplePS2Controller: newCommandByte = 47"

I used the boot flag, and, instead of the grey screen, the pc started reading MANY HFS+ files from the USB, and finally it stuck at the lines:

"ApplePS2Controller: set CommandByte for mouse interrupt install
ApplePS2Controller: oldCommandByte = 45
ApplePS2Controller: newCommandByte = 47"

Unibeast has an old version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext inside.

Place newer version at /Extra/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back