Contribute
Register

ultrazone's Master Audio Build: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - Core i7-3770k - 32GB RAM - Gigabyte GTX 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hej Ultrazone,
My son is making "music" and is happy.
We haven't overclocked yet and all projects are being processed better than his macbook pro.

However, did y have problems with having the system power down?
He has to take the mains power before the system powers down.

I read somewhere about NullCPUPowerManagment in connection with this small problem but cannot see it at the moment when reading yr build notes

br Owen

Glad to hear that your son is working...

Regarding your shutdown problem, there can be several reasons. In my experience, I had problems with my Axiom Pro 49 USB-MIDI controller, since it prevented sleep. I also had problems with a Firewire controller which prevented shutdown (the computer seemed to be shutting down but after three or four seconds it booted back again by itself).

First I would start by disconnecting USB peripherals and trying to shut down the computer. Do this one by one, so you can know which is responsible of the odd behavior. Yes, it's a little trial and error, but there's no other way afaik.

If none of your USB devices seems to be causing the issue then you would have to check other components in the system, mainly PCI cards and/or Firewire devices. Also make sure the Marvell disk controllers are disabled in BIOS, they are known to be problematic sometimes.

Please give us the details of your build (regarding components and peripherals) since it seems like the problem comes from one of them.

Hope to hear from you soon oxo ! Good luck !

Hi, I just built my 1st hackintosh, lovingly named, my "jagintosh" I used the ga z77x-ud5h, 3770K and the GTX 680, I just wanted to say, for my first hackintosh, everything couldn't have went smoother! My USB3 ports are reading my usb3 card readers CF and SD cards (videos from my canon 5D mark iii) at 70mbs! that is faster than I can get from windows. It downloaded 14gb's from the CF card in 2 mins 30 secs!

You won't be disappointed with the z77x ud5h, but make sure to get rev 1.1 (that's what I have anyway) I also have a mackie Onyx Blackjack (usb external audio recording interface), and it picked it up ootb! np with protools 10HD either...
Good luck.

Please give us the details of your build (regarding components and peripherals) since it seems like the problem comes from one of them.

Hope to hear from you soon oxo ! Good luck !
Will do :)
For the sake of completeness, I have not found anyone with the board using NullCPUPowerManagment

You won't be disappointed with the z77x ud5h, but make sure to get rev 1.1 (that's what I have anyway) I also have a mackie Onyx Blackjack (usb external audio recording interface), and it picked it up ootb! np with protools 10HD either...
Good luck.

Hi !

Good to know that revision 1.1 works, but many of us (including me) own revision 1.0, so we will have to live with it.

Thanks and good luck !

Thanks much for the detailed guide. My system is very much like yours, with the exception that I use the GTX660.

The only issue I have is with power management... I can get the system to go to sleep, but I cannot bring it back. I have the same BIOS setting as you (using F14) for PM.

Did you have to do anything special to get power management working?

Thanks again.

The only issue I have is with power management... I can get the system to go to sleep, but I cannot bring it back. I have the same BIOS setting as you (using F14) for PM.

Did you have to do anything special to get power management working?

Hi and thanks !

My board is revision 1.0 and I'll assume you have the same. If your board is revision 1.1 then you'll have to find out if your revision is different from 1.0 regarding power management.

Once mentioned this point, I can tell you that there are some hardware which prevents power management from working as expected. Here you have some examples:

- My USB Axiom49 MIDI controller (more info in the OP) doesn't allow the system to sleep. Once I manually click on "Sleep" the system sleeps, but it automatically wakes up by itself four or five seconds later. The solution (once discovered this USB controller was the root of the problem) was easy: just switching it off is enough to avoid this problem (it is not necessary to disconnect it from the computer, just switching it off via its control).

- Regarding graphic adapters, I can tell you that I have used this board with a Gigabyte Nvidia GT640, Sapphire Radeon 6670, MSI Radeon 5770 and the one I use now, the Gigabyte Nvidia GTX650. Regarding power management, I've had no issues with any of these models.

BIOS settings are another critical aspect. I can't remember the nightmare of finding out the right settings, but anyway you've got them in the OP. What's more, recently I have downgraded BIOS to F14 since more recent versions (which are beta) add some annoyances regarding USB behavior at boot.

So first you should check your BIOS settings and your peripherals (especially USB and Firewire ones), since maybe any of them is causing your problem. If none of these points seems to be the root of your problem, then you would have to find more information about your graphic adapter and its behavior regarding power management.

Hope it helps and waiting for your comments... good luck !

Hi and thanks !

My board is revision 1.0 and I'll assume you have the same. If your board is revision 1.1 then you'll have to find out if your revision is different from 1.0 regarding power management.

Once mentioned this point, I can tell you that there are some hardware which prevents power management from working as expected. Here you have some examples:

- My USB Axiom49 MIDI controller (more info in the OP) doesn't allow the system to sleep. Once I manually click on "Sleep" the system sleeps, but it automatically wakes up by itself four or five seconds later. The solution (once discovered this USB controller was the root of the problem) was easy: just switching it off is enough to avoid this problem (it is not necessary to disconnect it from the computer, just switching it off via its control).

- Regarding graphic adapters, I can tell you that I have used this board with a Gigabyte Nvidia GT640, Sapphire Radeon 6670, MSI Radeon 5770 and the one I use now, the Gigabyte Nvidia GTX650. Regarding power management, I've had no issues with any of these models.

BIOS settings are another critical aspect. I can't remember the nightmare of finding out the right settings, but anyway you've got them in the OP. What's more, recently I have downgraded BIOS to F14 since more recent versions (which are beta) add some annoyances regarding USB behavior at boot.

So first you should check your BIOS settings and your peripherals (especially USB and Firewire ones), since maybe any of them is causing your problem. If none of these points seems to be the root of your problem, then you would have to find more information about your graphic adapter and its behavior regarding power management.

Hope it helps and waiting for your comments... good luck !

Hey ultrazone I have your same build and just updated to mountain lion 10.8.3 and audio doesn't work. What steps did you take to update and still have audio working?

After every combo update, rerun MultiBeast checking off only the appropriate Realtek audio. That's it.

Oh, yeah...use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions. :thumbup:

Hey ultrazone I have your same build and just updated to mountain lion 10.8.3 and audio doesn't work. What steps did you take to update and still have audio working?

Hi !

I didn't update yet... My last install was in December (10.8.2) and since then my system has been working without any issues. So I prefer staying in the "safe zone" by now. Any way 10.8.3 doesn't seem to be offering anything interesting for me since all my hardware is supported in 10.8.2 and works like a charm.

Regarding your audio problem you should follow Stork's suggestion. Please tell us if you fixed it this way.

Thanks and good luck !

Hi ultrazone

I read your guide and love it.By the way i am an xfx hd 6850 user and it didnt work with mac os x any version so i decided to buy Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 OC 2GB.
And if possible i want to ask you a fev question.How is gtx 650's gaming performance under mountain lion ? Do you try games ? I usually play World of warcraft and Diablo 3.

Thanks for your time.Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back