Contribute
Register

UEFI Clover dual boot Windows & OS X El Capitan - Can't Install Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when I do the dd command in terminal to make the thumb drive it results in a drive that doesn't have an efi partition.

HackPro:~ SpOnkey$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Captain 249.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: Windows_NTFS 1.0 TB disk1s1
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
0: *7.8 GB disk2

disk2 is the thumb drive, but there is only one partition, no efi. The iso I got from microsoft is only 4.41gb, so I know there is space. I am doing all i can with reading multiple articles, but I cant seem to find the commands to create a partition for EFI (if necessary)

So I managed to reformat the drive and correctly do the dd command on only disk2s2 instead of just disk2 (oops!). I then mounted the efi and put clover on via 3 different methods. Using the Clover installer linked on the site, was the one that worked. Once I got it to boot, the only boot options I had were for the target drive. No option to boot to the Windows 10 iso I put on the drive. Not sure where to go next. Why is it so hard to make a USB drive that can boot on a Mac? I wish there was an equivalent to Rufus for Mac. I even tried using VirtualBox, VMWare, and Parallels, but each had their own issues that wouldn't let me succeed.
Anyone have any ideas other than finding a friend with a PC to us Rufus or the Windows Media Creation Tool? I just moved and don't really know many people here yet. I'd much prefer to get this done on my Mac.

So I managed to reformat the drive and correctly do the dd command on only disk2s2 instead of just disk2 (oops!). I then mounted the efi and put clover on via 3 different methods. Using the Clover installer linked on the site, was the one that worked. Once I got it to boot, the only boot options I had were for the target drive. No option to boot to the Windows 10 iso I put on the drive. Not sure where to go next. Why is it so hard to make a USB drive that can boot on a Mac? I wish there was an equivalent to Rufus for Mac. I even tried using VirtualBox, VMWare, and Parallels, but each had their own issues that wouldn't let me succeed.
Anyone have any ideas other than finding a friend with a PC to us Rufus or the Windows Media Creation Tool? I just moved and don't really know many people here yet. I'd much prefer to get this done on my Mac.
Have you taken the time to visit any of the local libraries or Universities where you now live? Many of them have areas with several computers available for general use - you may have to schedule a time to use one ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back