EVGA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys, having major issues trying to install windows!

I have El Capitan installed in UEFI with Clover, however I planned to install windows 8.1 as well (on a separate drive).

On my Windows set up: I go to disk utility, erase then set as MS-DOS (FAT) with a GUID Partition Table.

I have tried multiple paths with this, I've burned an ISO directly to the USB which results in UEFI not showing at all (I assume because this is a legacy method), and the main route which has been to simply copy the ISO files within onto the USB to boot.

I have only at one point got to the Windows Installation which has been by formatting the USB to MBR, copying the ISO contents over then booting in UEFI, however it doesn't allow me to install on the target drive (which I formatted in the Windows installer), the error is: "Windows 8 cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GP disks. This makes sense as I did format it in MBR, but I can't seem to boot in any other way.

Now to the actual errors when the USB is formatted as GPT (WININSTALL is the USB).

Boot into UEFI on the USB,
I have four boot options:

1. Boot Options for Windows on Legacy HD2
2. Boot Options for Boot Microsoft EFI mgrboot menu from WININSTALL on WININSTALL
3. Boot Options for Boot Microsoft EFI cdboot menu from WININSTALL on WININSTALL
4. Boot Options for Boot Mac OS X from Hackintosh on Hackintosh

Booting from 1: Results in black screen with a small square gray graphic with a yellow/black diagonal striped icon inside the gray area - this is almost instantly replaced by a blinking cursor.

Booting from 2: Results in no response, still remain on the boot options area.

Booting from 3: (cdboot seems like the correct one) Results in some text being displayed on a black screen: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.....". This stays the same even when I press a key, if I press space bar or esc key it takes me back to the boot options, and re-selecting that drive afterward gives me a black screen.

and 4: Booting into El Capitan.

and to note: I do not have Windows anywhere else, so I can't use any programmes unless they can be run on Mac/Hackintosh.

Thanks guys, hopefully I get to a solution with help and this helps others in the future, it seems my specific issues are rather isolated though - I've searched hundreds of articles, forum posts and youtube videos and I haven't been able to see a fix anywhere. The only thing I can think of as the issue is Disk Utility apparently creating a 'hybrid GPT/MBR' resulting in Clover not booting it properly, no idea if this is valid though!

Hi guys, having major issues trying to install windows!

I have El Capitan installed in UEFI with Clover, however I planned to install windows 8.1 as well (on a separate drive).

On my Windows set up: I go to disk utility, erase then set as MS-DOS (FAT) with a GUID Partition Table.
And this is where you make your mistake. Formatting MSDOS FAT creates a hybrid GPT/MBR partition and Windows will not install UEFI - only legacy.

Instead, format the drive GUID partition tables / OS X Extended (Journaled).
Boot the Windows install media, select the OS X partition, delete it and click continue with the free space hi-lited. Windows installer will create its own partitions.

Hey, thanks I'll try this when I get home! Just a quick question: should I disconnect my Mac Drive with Clover Bootloader on before selecting the windows USB Drive?

Hey, thanks I'll try this when I get home! Just a quick question: should I disconnect my Mac Drive with Clover Bootloader on before selecting the windows USB Drive?

Yes. Do not have any drive connected except the blank drive for Windows and the install media drive (either USB or DVD) when installing Windows. Windows installer wants Windows to be on the first drive the PCH sees when you boot up and will install its boot files on that drive even if it is not your target drive for installing Windows. This is how I wound up with Windows boot files on a Linux drive with the Linux boot messed up one time. Now I disconnect all other drives before installing Windows.

Sorry it doesn't work, I tried as you said, went to disk utility formatted as Mac OS (Journaled) still as GUID Partition, restarted and disconnected all my other drives in the BIOS then set the boot option to UEFI: (MY USB DRIVE) and all I got was a black screen with white text saying:

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: error

I also tried this on the non-UEFI version in boot options and get the same thing, is doesn't make sense that the drive will only get to installation page if it's in MBR? and even then it gets an error. :banghead:

Sorry it doesn't work, I tried as you said, went to disk utility formatted as Mac OS (Journaled) still as GUID Partition, restarted and disconnected all my other drives in the BIOS then set the boot option to UEFI: (MY USB DRIVE) and all I got was a black screen with white text saying:

boot0: error

I also tried this on the non-UEFI version in boot options and get the same thing, is doesn't make sense that the drive will only get to installation page if it's in MBR? and even then it gets an error. :banghead:
You do not have a boot loader installed. Install Clover UEFI mode.

Sorry, install Clover bootloader on the USB or the target Windows drive? I just went through Clover installation process and only my Windows SSD shows up - not the Windows USB, sorry if I sound stupid I haven't really done this sort of stuff much.

If you mean onto the Windows SSD, then when I go to boot do I select Windows SSD on the boot options then hope all my boot options come up with clover bootloader (the windows usb), therefore making the windows USB Installer bootable?

Or if you meant install into the Windows USB, I have no idea how the preparation goes, is there some sort of tutorial if it doesn't come up on the installation process?

Sorry, install Clover bootloader on the USB or the target Windows drive? I just went through Clover installation process and only my Windows SSD shows up - not the Windows USB, sorry if I sound stupid I haven't really done this sort of stuff much.

If you mean onto the Windows SSD, then when I go to boot do I select Windows SSD on the boot options then hope all my boot options come up with clover bootloader (the windows usb), therefore making the windows USB Installer bootable?

Or if you meant install into the Windows USB, I have no idea how the preparation goes, is there some sort of tutorial if it doesn't come up on the installation process?
So you are saying the boot0 error is on the Windows installer USB drive?
If yes, you did not follow proper procedure to create the USB or the USB drive MBR is corrupted.
Use a different USB if possible.

Yes, but I haven't had Clover Bootloader installed on the Windows SSD or the Windows USB is that the issue?

I can use a different USB, but I dont' see what I'm doing wrong, is there any tutorial you may know or proper procedure that I should be following to install Windows? Whenever I refer to Clover it's all about installing Mac and not Windows, and when people have dual booting tutorials on youtube they simply say 'Plug in the Windows USB and install' without specifying the partition details or whether anything needs to be prepared the target drive beforehand.

Yes, but I haven't had Clover Bootloader installed on the Windows SSD or the Windows USB is that the issue?

I can use a different USB, but I dont' see what I'm doing wrong, is there any tutorial you may know or proper procedure that I should be following to install Windows? Whenever I refer to Clover it's all about installing Mac and not Windows, and when people have dual booting tutorials on youtube they simply say 'Plug in the Windows USB and install' without specifying the partition details or whether anything needs to be prepared the target drive beforehand.

For creation of the Windows install USB forget Clover. Clover belongs to the OS X world and you are in the Windows world.
Follow this guide to create your Win10USB:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-usb-flash-drive-create-install-windows-10-a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back