Contribute
Register

UEFI Clover dual boot Windows & OS X El Capitan - Can't Install Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Going Bald

If you don't mind. Just a couple quickie questions on the Windows install side. I have OSX running ok save no sound (I'll tackle that a bit later). I will want to do the dual boot Windows on a separate SSD solely for some gaming action. My preference is Windows 7. I have no fondness for 8 and I have not tried 10. What version of windows would you recommend for minimal stress? Cost is an issue as I will have to buy a license. Also would the sub versions of Windows 7 i.e. Home, Pro, Ultimate, 64-bit matter for installation? Can they all do the UEFI install?

Thanks a million.

Hello Going Bald

If you don't mind. Just a couple quickie questions on the Windows install side. I have OSX running ok save no sound (I'll tackle that a bit later). I will want to do the dual boot Windows on a separate SSD solely for some gaming action. My preference is Windows 7. I have no fondness for 8 and I have not tried 10. What version of windows would you recommend for minimal stress? Cost is an issue as I will have to buy a license. Also would the sub versions of Windows 7 i.e. Home, Pro, Ultimate, 64-bit matter for installation? Can they all do the UEFI install?

Thanks a million.

If all you want is Gaming and net surfing Windows 7 Home edition is all you need and yes, they all install UEFI. Just disable CSM in UEFI and it forces UEFI install on most boards, but I would still use the function hot key to select the UEFI install media.

Going Bald,

I was able to create a bootable Windows 10 UEFI USB drive, get Windows 10 installed, and I have Clover working at boot to select Mac OS X or Windows. I do have some weirdness on the Mac OS X side that I need to fix. I'm using the ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark I USB 3.1 MB, and for some reason (I'm guessing kext mis-configuration), I can only use the front USB ports when booting into Mac OS X, and the DVD drive opens on boot every time, with Mac OS X prompt notifying me that a DVD has been inserted, what action do I want to take (btw, it doesn't matter if the drive is empty or not).

I used MultiBeast to build what I thought were the correct kexts according to the MB user guide, but evidently I'm incorrect. I've attached a screenshot of my configuration from MultiBeast.

I have a Intel Core i7-4790K along with that MB. I can provide a complete parts list if needed.

Thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 2.05.02 PM.png

Going Bald,

I was able to create a bootable Windows 10 UEFI USB drive, get Windows 10 installed, and I have Clover working at boot to select Mac OS X or Windows. I do have some weirdness on the Mac OS X side that I need to fix. I'm using the ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark I USB 3.1 MB, and for some reason (I'm guessing kext mis-configuration), I can only use the front USB ports when booting into Mac OS X, and the DVD drive opens on boot every time, with Mac OS X prompt notifying me that a DVD has been inserted, what action do I want to take (btw, it doesn't matter if the drive is empty or not).

I used MultiBeast to build what I thought were the correct kexts according to the MB user guide, but evidently I'm incorrect. I've attached a screenshot of my configuration from MultiBeast.

I have a Intel Core i7-4790K along with that MB. I can provide a complete parts list if needed.

Thanks for your help.

View attachment 175834

Right off the bat I see some things you did wrong. Think about it. Look at your board specs and model.
Whyever did you install a Sandy Bridge SSDT when you have a Haswell build?
What do you want with an eSATA kext when your board has no eSATA ports?
Why are you using the Intel Generic AHCI SATA when the UEFI/BIOS supports AHCI SATA mode?
You need also the AppleIntelE1000e for your Intel NIC - I would rather use the Intel NIC over the Realtek one any day.
Why did you select the Bootloader again when you already had it with the Quickstart selection?
Why did you select the FakeSMC again when you already had it with the Quickstart selection?
Why select Mac Pro3,1? Clover is very bright and will match your hardware against a system definition it is closest to, probably an iMac.

When you first boot with Clover with no system definition, it automatically injects one for you. So look at the System Profile and see what Clover thinks you have. Unless you have major problems with it, select that same definition and add a SMBIOS section with Clover Configurator to your config.plist.

All you really needed was Quick Start-> UEFI mode, LAN, audio and 3rd Party SATA.

Bootloader on the Windows USB requires legacy mode enabled in UEFI. At power on, use F hotkey to select boot device - it will show a legacy mode entry and a UEFI entry for the USB - select the uefi entry

So I am ressurecting this thread a bit because I am having a nightmare of a time getting Windows 10 installed. I followed the directions you linked to get the USB drive created in Terminal, physically unplugged all drives, but the windows target HDD, removed that HDD from boot option/priorities, set the USB as the only boot option, and when it boots I also get the error
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
I have gone into my BIOS settings and set the usb boot options to UEFI only, Legacy only, and disable. Tried all three, but when I got to boot options it only shows the USB Drive as a boot option, none with UEFI in front of it. I only have one option no matter the setting, and they all send me to the same black screen with
Im sure Im missing some basic setting in the BIOS or something, but I have been trying to get this going for a few days with a total of around 12 hours of reformatting, restarting, and head banging. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

So I am ressurecting this thread a bit because I am having a nightmare of a time getting Windows 10 installed. I followed the directions you linked to get the USB drive created in Terminal, physically unplugged all drives, but the windows target HDD, removed that HDD from boot option/priorities, set the USB as the only boot option, and when it boots I also get the error
I have gone into my BIOS settings and set the usb boot options to UEFI only, Legacy only, and disable. Tried all three, but when I got to boot options it only shows the USB Drive as a boot option, none with UEFI in front of it. I only have one option no matter the setting, and they all send me to the same black screen with
Im sure Im missing some basic setting in the BIOS or something, but I have been trying to get this going for a few days with a total of around 12 hours of reformatting, restarting, and head banging. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
What app did you use to create your USB installer? Best way works is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ and download the tool, then follow the clean install directions under the button below the download tool button for clean install.

I dont have access to a functional windows machine. On the previous page (several months ago) you linked to instructions to use the sudo dd if=......of=... command line in the terminal. This is how I made the drive

I dont have access to a functional windows machine. On the previous page (several months ago) you linked to instructions to use the sudo dd if=......of=... command line in the terminal. This is how I made the drive
Copying the ISO to the drive does not make the drive bootable. Have you tried Rufus? https://rufus.akeo.ie

I can't because it is a windows only program. I only have my hackintosh to work with, and I can't seem to find any way anywhere to make a bootable usb drive to install windows. I need a Mac based option for making a bootable Windows USB drive.

I can't because it is a windows only program. I only have my hackintosh to work with, and I can't seem to find any way anywhere to make a bootable usb drive to install windows. I need a Mac based option for making a bootable Windows USB drive.
OK, one thing you might try - mount the EFI partition of the USB and create a folder named boot. Copy bootx64.efi from Clover to the boot folder. Unmount the EFI partition. Shut down, disconnect all drives except the Windows-to-be drive and try to boot with the USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back