Contribute
Register

Trace/BPT trap: 5 error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Jithin,
Thank you for your several suggestions. Unfortunately booting with "dart=0 -f -v -x" produced similar results. One variant: the final verbose entry is "ucode: no updates in safe mode"

Before I venture down the laborious road of complete reinstallation, I would like to ask about using my last good backup to restore to my problem SSD.

After successfully upgrading from 10.10.3 to 10.10.4 two weeks ago, a Carbon Copy Clone of my main drive CMYos0 SSD above was made to my 1st internal backup drive, an HDD CMYos1.

Using UniBeast USB thumb I can still boot into the clone CMYos1; it is not problematical. I also have another internal CMYos4 which is the same clone, and everything works fine there, too.

Therefore I would like to:

1) boot into CMYos4 in order to allow CMYos0 and CMYos1 to be unmountable & better suited to a clone restore
2) reformat the SSD CMYos0
3) use CCC to clone CMYos1 to the erased SSD CMYos0.

My question if you know: In doing this, are there any files or directories on the clone on CMYos1 that I should NOT allow to be cloned back to the original CMYos0 ?

If you don't have a suggestion on this, could you advise which forum I should choose to ask the question? Still Yosemite support? Or?

thanks for your time & ideas

You can try restoring of the CCC backup. After resoring you may have to reinstall Chimera for successful bootup.

It is always better to keep clone on another HDD/SSD.

It is always better to keep clone on another HDD/SSD.

Yes, of course. My clones are on separate HDD's. For me this is one of the chief reasons to build a CustoMac. Because Apple no longer produces a PC with additional internal bays, it is no longer possible to buy a Mac Pro tower and add extra internal drives to assure that backups and clones can be made on the fastest bus, and are always ready, no delays.

While it's true that external USB and Thunderbolt drives can be used with the current Mac Pro model, I already have enough clutter on my desk!

Thanks for your inputs.

Jithin,
The restore of the clone was successful. As you correctly anticipated, reinstall of Chimera was necessary to enable boot into that drive.

Thanks again for your assistance. Several questions were clarified by your help.

Jithin,
The restore of the clone was successful. As you correctly anticipated, reinstall of Chimera was necessary to enable boot into that drive.

Thanks again for your assistance. Several questions were clarified by your help.

Good to hear from you....!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back