Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yosemite 10.10.4 successful install had been working fine for a week, but suddenly Boot stalls half-way during grey Apple screen with "Trace/BPT trap: 5" error

Safe Mode -x produces similar halt

Suggestions appreciated

Attachments

• TraceBPTtrap5.jpg
    TraceBPTtrap5.jpg
    719.4 KB · Views: 251
I still cannot figure out a solution to this halt.

By the way the SSD checks out fine in Disk Utility > Verify Disk.

Any ideas on what to try?

thanks

Yosemite 10.10.4 successful install had been working fine for a week, but suddenly Boot stalls half-way during grey Apple screen with "Trace/BPT trap: 5" error

Safe Mode -x produces similar halt

Suggestions appreciated

Try booting without caches (-f)

Thank you for this idea.
boot still halts about half way with caches disabled -f
Any further suggestions based on these results?

Attachments

• boothalterrors2-f.JPG
    boothalterrors2-f.JPG
    698.4 KB · Views: 220
Thank you for this idea.
boot still halts about half way with caches disabled -f
Any further suggestions based on these results?

Is the booting stuck there?? How long you waited there??

Yes, booting stops there. I've allowed the screen to "continue" there for 30+ minutes, but it never progresses further.

Yes, booting stops there. I've allowed the screen to "continue" there for 30+ minutes, but it never progresses further.

Are you using DSDT/SSDTs??

If Yes, try booting with "dart=0 DSDT=Null -f -v"

Unfortunately this system is not using DSDT/SSDT's.

Hello, Jithin,
Thank you for your several suggestions. Unfortunately booting with "dart=0 -f -v -x" produced similar results. One variant: the final verbose entry is "ucode: no updates in safe mode"

Before I venture down the laborious road of complete reinstallation, I would like to ask about using my last good backup to restore to my problem SSD.

After successfully upgrading from 10.10.3 to 10.10.4 two weeks ago, a Carbon Copy Clone of my main drive CMYos0 SSD above was made to my 1st internal backup drive, an HDD CMYos1.

Using UniBeast USB thumb I can still boot into the clone CMYos1; it is not problematical. I also have another internal CMYos4 which is the same clone, and everything works fine there, too.

Therefore I would like to:

1) boot into CMYos4 in order to allow CMYos0 and CMYos1 to be unmountable & better suited to a clone restore
2) reformat the SSD CMYos0
3) use CCC to clone CMYos1 to the erased SSD CMYos0.

My question if you know: In doing this, are there any files or directories on the clone on CMYos1 that I should NOT allow to be cloned back to the original CMYos0 ?

If you don't have a suggestion on this, could you advise which forum I should choose to ask the question? Still Yosemite support? Or?

thanks for your time & ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back