Contribute
Register

Suggestions to Replace z77x-UP4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've added a note to the description on the UP4-TH: Contains some USB3 only ports.

I am thinking of components for my first build (started a thread earlier today) and was looking at the UP4, so would you suggest I shell out an extra $50 on my motherboard for the UP5 if that one has 0 problems, or will I be missing out on something or lose some compatibility?

Hi,

I have the same mobo and CPU and it was my first build and it was an easy install.

Few things to consider:

- 4 out of 6 USB´s won´t work. (You can solve it easily with a cheap USB 3.0 hub OR a PCI USB)

- Sleep problems (at least for me) I have seen other users reporting back that it´s working.

- No problem with sound, I installed the (Without DSDT - ALC892).

Good luck further.

Indyfilms17: "
I am thinking of components for my first build (started a thread earlier today) and was looking at the UP4, so would you suggest I shell out an extra $50 on my motherboard for the UP5 if that one has 0 problems, or will I be missing out on something or lose some compatibility?"

Personally , I'd fork out the extra $50 , but if the budget is tight then the UP4 is still an excellent board ; as long as you're up to speed with its slight downsides. :)

tonymacx86
I've added a note to the description on the UP4-TH: Contains some USB3 only ports.

Good work Tony , I think that will save alot of frustration. :thumbup:

Sorry for the confusion this recommended board may have caused. I have this board and am currently working out the kinks. It's super early to know what we can and can't do regarding this board on a permanent basis. Also, as the swede mentioned, we are on an early UEFI, and haven't yet released any DSDT edits for 7-series boards, as they don't require them. Perhaps the USB issue can be sorted other ways. ;)

UP4-TH

• There are no native usb2 ports unless you have a case with usb2 ports in front.
  • There are 6 ports on rear of that board. 2 work with standard usb devices
  • There is a label that says- use keyboard/mouse here.
  • The other usb3 ports don't have hubs on that particular board.

It's a budget version of the UP5 model, which has none of the issues that people have spoken about here. Personally this is not a dealbreaker in my opinion and the board is amazing for OS X, but I can see why people are miffed.

I am reading about the UP4 board for some days now.

Could you confirm that the intel USB 3.0 ports (above the RJ45) work OOTB with USB 3.0 devices?
And for USB 2.0 devices you could pick one of the internal USB 2.0 ports (connected to the case front panel)?

As far as I know the rest of the board is working fine. Because I only use 2 usb 3 ports on my case, I don't bother about the VIA ones ;).

Thanks beforehand for the clarification.

The two rear Intel ports ONLY work with USB 3.0 devices for some reason if xHCI is enabled, this was something we weren't aware of before Mountain Lion launched and we did additional testing. If you disable xHCI, they work like USB 2.0 ports.
As for the pin-headers on the board, the work just like any other USB 2.0 ports with a case or a bracket.

I am reading about the UP4 board for some days now.

Could you confirm that the intel USB 3.0 ports (above the RJ45) work OOTB with USB 3.0 devices?
And for USB 2.0 devices you could pick one of the internal USB 2.0 ports (connected to the case front panel)?

As far as I know the rest of the board is working fine. Because I only use 2 usb 3 ports on my case, I don't bother about the VIA ones ;).

Thanks beforehand for the clarification.

There are three internal USB 2.0 headers, and they all work correctly. I purchased a USB 2.0 PCI bracket (this exact model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SH2BDI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00), and OS X recognizes the usb ports without any issues.

I know Tonymacx86 and MacMan each has a board, but I don't know how much testing they've had time to do, as they've been working really hard on the new site, 10.8, the new Chimera, the new Unibeast and the new Multibeast, but hopefully they'll have time to do some more testing now and we'll see how it goes. I'm sorry if you feel like we've given bad advice, but I can't understand why this board is behaving so differently from the UP5 TH, not counting the lack of USB ports. We only just noticed that the Intel USB 3.0 ports are USB 3.0 only and we're trying to find a solution for that too beyond plugging in a USB 3.0 hub which appears to enable USB 2.0 devices to be attached.
I'm not trying to make excuses here, but it's impossible for us to be on top of everything at once, as we're a small team and we're doing our best to make sound hardware recommendations here.

Not to mention that fact that all the info on this site is presented free of charge. It's not like anyone is paying for customer service. :-S

Not to mention that fact that all the info on this site is presented free of charge. It's not like anyone is paying for customer service. :-S

People should show their appreciation using the "Contribute" link at the top of the page. I can't imagine how much time/money it takes for this team to maintain a good knowledge-base out of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back