Contribute
Register

Success with Ivy CPU and GA-Z77-DS3H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine has been on for about 24 hours now straight .... But I see your using a Sandy bridge ... not Ivy ... you need bridgehelper and prob the SSDT ... and I would try install initially with onboard graphics ... then put in the 550 ti just after multibeast, kext replacement and GraphicsEnabler=No.

An alternative to replacing the Nvidia Kexts may be to roll back the AppleACPIPlatform Kext instead.... I have not yet tested this out tho.

I have followed every step of your guide to the letter, urlord, but when it passes the boot sequence and gets into OS X, my screen just shuts off (probably meaning OS X won't use those kexts or something). Any tips on getting my GTX580 to work instead of the built-in GPU?

My Lion installation was working fine, except for a lack of performance by the GTX580 and no sleep/shutdown.

Z77-DS3H
i7-3930K (Ivy Bridge)

edit — As BobMc below this post says, GraphicsEnabler=Yes works and lets me boot into OS X. Also, I'm finding the same kexts and plugins in those folder as him. Delete them too? Will it make any difference?

Hi ALL,

5. When the installer completes and reboots, select the newly installed ML partition and hit enter.

6. Follow the ML setup when you boot into ML.

7. Navigate to /S/L/E (your ML system folder->libraries->extensions and remove the following 4 nvidia kexts:

NVDAGF100Hal.kext
NVDANV50Hal.kext
NVDAResman.kext
NVSMU.kext

I also removed the NVDAGK100Hal.kext (think its called) ... maybe this was added in the final release but to be safe I removed it as well. You can copy them to another folder older on your desktop as a backup before you send them to the trash. I thought to try them individually but after 4 days of plugging away at this I just couldn't take it anymore.

I also deleted a kext called GeforceGA.plugin .... name could be something similar ... its the only plugin in the Geforce group.

See attached files below

In my /S/L/E I found the 4 kexts above but also found GeForceGLDriver.bundle, GeForceVADriver.bundle, GeForceGA.plugin and GeForce.kext. I deleted all of them and when I rebooted I had to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes to have video. Any idea why I had those files in S/L/E and you didn't?

Not those

No ... I only deleted the plugins that I was replacing plus two others ..... not all the GForce kexts ...

Just to confirm this is what you did....

FIRST - Make sure your BIOS is at version F6!

1. You removed your Nvidia card, use the VGA port on the on board HD4000 if you can - 'cause that was my only option at the time.

2. Make sure you Boot from the Clean and Fresh ML USB install.... not from an old lion partition.... boot option in bios should have the partition starting with a P ... if you have UEFI in front of the name its going to skip it and go to the first bootable one with P in the list.

I also, just to be on the safe side, unpluged all my other drives just to make it easy and safe so that the only 2 things in the boot list was the ML destination and the USB stick.... also only used 1 partition on the disk for ML.

3. Use Disk Utility Prior to install and re-partition the install location and format.

4. Let installer proceed with no boot flags set.

5. After installer finishes and reboots, choose the ML partition and boot.... you should have not done anything at this point other than boot into ML.

At this point you should be at the Mountain Lion configuration stage. If not, something is amiss! Maybe try a different USB stick, USB Port (make sure you do not use USB 3.0 port. I had trouble with an installer once in the port next to the ethernet port and when moved to the one next to the PS2 port it worked fine.

6. If you have made it through the ML config and now sitting at the desktop, then you are halfway done.

7. Delete the Nvidia Kexts that are being replaced, only then use Kext Utility to add the replacement Kexts. The only other two files I removed as well were the GeforceGA.plugin (notice the .plugin and not .kext). The only reason I did this is 'cause the post I read said they did that too and was 'cause of reported graphic glitches. There was one other NVidia kext that there is no replacement kext for from DP3, so I deleted that one as well.. it may be that you don't need to, but I did anyways.

8. Run multibeast using the settings I posted in the screenshot minus the extra ethernet driver ... you only need the last one.

9. Re-edit the plist to turn Graphics enabler OFF. <-- I know this sounds counter intuitive but there is a big discussion on this in the Graphics section of the forum.

10. Run Chimera 1.11.1 <-- this installs the default built-in Native graphics enabler

11. Install latest Cuda drivers!

At this point you are ready to install your NVidia card ... do a shutdown ... not restart!

12. Install the card. and remove the USB Stick.

13. Before the machine boots into ML, go into the Bios and set the ML Partition as the first boot option ... set the one with the P# in front of it (where # is whatever drive number is assigned to it.. prob 0 if no other drives plugged in.)

14. Save and allow the machine to boot ... it should finish and you should be at the ML desktop with QE/CI working. I have been using the VGA port ... but after shutting down again and using the DVI or HDMI port, they worked fine... even multi-monitors.

If you still don't get it working, I will take my 560 Ti out of my sandy bridge and Plop in in my IB and do another (shiver) clean install to see if the procedure still works.

Good luck! I want to hear that FAT LADY SING!

Possible alternative to DP3

I read somewhere that another solution might be add the AppleACPIPlatform Rollback kext when using Multibeast instead of replacing the Nvidia Kexts with DP3 ones... I have not tested this, so I don't know yet if this works. Just thought it worth mentioning in case you want to try this.

Fourth time reinstalling Mountain Lion today :p Anyway, tanks a lot for your extensive guide and help, but the problem still persists. Using GraphicsEnabler=No, it boots all well but my screen shuts off when entering the actual OS X environment. No idea what's causing this, since it seems to work for everyone else.

Hooking up my monitor to the motherboard GPU doesn't work either. Both (motherboard and GTX580) fail to show anything after installing the new kexts (I found them on the insanely-mac forum, those are the good ones, right?). Might try that acpi thing.

edit — Mountain Lion boot on in SafeMode - insanely-mac Forum
edit — Replacing the ACPI kext gives me a kernel panic... Think I'm going to leave it like this. What's the advantage of GraphicsEnabler=No anyway? :p

Update: installing with NVidia installed

Hi Quagh,

Yes .. those are the DS3 Kexts

Have you upgraded your bios to F6?

I just made another successful ML test install to another Hardrive having Native Acceleration QE/CI working with my Nvidia 520, EXCEPT this time I did it with my Graphics Card INSTALLED PRIOR to installation!

On a side note... I have done many many installs since release day finding away to get this working and now it is working 100% with my Mobo Cpu and Gfx combination. What may have contributed this is that I first had followed this install guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...g-hd4000-full-qe-ci-sleep-sound-ethernet.html

Once I had a working mountain Lion install with the HD4000 (no NVidia card installed), I RE-MADE MY USB INSTALLER. I don't know if this has also contributed to my success but may be worth the effort.

My latest trial and error experiment has eliminated the possibility of the AppleACPIPlatform Rollback as a solution ... still gave a KP when trying to boot in to ML.

You can leave the GforceGA.plugin alone ... and the NVDAGK100Hal.kext installed.... it doesn't seem to be a problem, at least with my board.

So, it is just a matter of replacing the 4 Kext files... use Kext Utility so you can be sure the Caches and permissions are rebuilt and applied.

What I did just a little while ago to get a working install WHILE my Nvidia card is installed, was to:

1. Set USB Stick in Boot options in Bios and Boot from USB Installer with boot flag GraphicsEnabler=No, to do this hit the space bar and enter the flag.

2. Run Disk Utility and partition Drive using GUID option and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and name your ML install partition.

3. Continue with the installer. My installer finished then rebooted to the installer chimera screen ... hit the arrow key to select the ML Partition hit space and enter the boot flag -x .... without the -x you will get a kernel panic.... if you forgot to enter it .. just reset and restart and enter it (-x worked on my ZOTAC 520, may not on another brand or model).

4. You should now be at the ML configuration stage and end up at the desktop. If not, I would suspect the USB installer is not right, media or port ... as I have gotten to at least this part with my current USB installer about a dozen times now.

5. What I did was go to /S/L/E and move those 4 NVidia kexts to the trash and empty the trash.

6. Run Kext Utility and install the four DSP3 Nvidia Kexts.

7. Run Multibeast and only select the options I showed in my guide.

8. Run Chimera 1.11.1 standalone Chimera updater.

9. Edit the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in the /Extra folder and change the Yes under GraphicsEnabler to No and Save (see below) .

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>

10. Shut Down and remove the USB Stick

11. Boot back into Bios and set the ML install Partition .... choose entry that has a "P" followed by a number.. like "P0"

12 Save and reboot by hitting F10 function key.

After rebooting you should be in Mountain Lion with Graphics working. Keep in mind that this whole time I have been using the VGA port on my Nvidia card. If I shut down and use the DVI or HDMI it works as well, but maybe using VGA port has initially helped the install process.

Later tonight I will pull my 560 ti card out of my Windows machine and see if that works for installing as well.

Good luck! LET THE FAT LADY SING!

Update 08/01/12 - GTX-560 ti test

Hi Guys n Gals!

Well, I took my working ML install and swapped out my Zotac 520 with my Gigabyte 560 Ti to see if it what would happen.

I have an LG TV I use as my main monitor. I Have the HDMI port connected to the cards DVI connector. For my 15" VGA NEC 15" flat panel I used a DVI to VGA adapter. The HDMI connector on the card is a min too close to the edge of the case for any of my connectors to fit. Additionally, the DVI connectors are too close together to be able to use more than one connector at a time.

When ML booted and the Apple logo comes up, the monitor fails to sync up when the graphics mode switches ... consequently the monitors screen goes black displays a message about lost signal, and shut down to sleep. The computer itself continues booting to the desktop... additional resets and monitor hot plugs failed to establish monitor sync on the NEC. However, I took the HDMI to DVI cable I use on my LG TV and connected it to the top DVI connector(if you were looking at the card in your hand) (left side facing the front of the computer) and continued to poke and prod the computer with resets and hot-plugs... upon the 3rd or 4th boot the system synced with the LG and I had 1080p from my 560 ti on my TV.

I then did some screen shots and benchmarks .... geekbench was same as before 11,666 and cinebench went from 16 on the 520 to 42.79 ... very slightly less than reference 'cause I had some apps running in the background.

So ... one monitor worked (LG TV) and the NEC didn't ... maybe 'cause the 560 Ti doesn't have a VGA port and the adapter interferes with the system polling the display.

I then thru in a old GTX-250 to see if that would work .... No matter how much prodding the display remained dark after switching from boot to desktop.

So I then re-inserted my 520 and restarted. Both displays remained dark on boot to desktop. I had to open the case and disconnect all my drive and verified I could get to bios. Once I did, I rebooted and reconnected my main system drive and rebooted... all went fine, shut down and reconnected drives and I was back to full working order.

A few weeks prior to the release of ML at the start of jumping on the Hackintosh bandwagon, I read a post on graphic cards. I wanted to get one that had the best functionality at a cheap price. I chose the 520 for its low cost, but the Brand (Zotac) was stated as having the most compatibility with Hackintoshes OOB ..... This seems to be the case .... Although slow in comparison, it is extremely functional OOB in ML... more so than the HD4000 built in I find.

Anyways.... I also found on the 560 Ti that the usual boot flags made no difference .. the problem is with the system finding the monitor or determining the parameters needed to sync with it. Given the right Monitor ... you may get a display after forcing a reset like I did with my LG.

Maybe try a clean install with the card in like I did earlier today ... err yesterday .... about 10 hours ago.

I have seen some posts in the Graphic section about putting a device id and efi string in the plist for getting displays and multimonitors working ... I suspect this is whats needed for display cards less compatible than my ZOTAC 520. Given how well Zotac computability is, I will look for a Zotac 6xx board when the time comes.

Screenshots attached...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 12.26.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 12.26.25 AM.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 371
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 12.27.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 12.27.42 AM.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 12.31.15 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 12.31.15 AM.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 339
Thanks for all of your work and your quality posts. I'm up and booting ML just fine on the integrated graphics, but I'm most interested in getting my GTX 560ti working. Otherwise, our system configurations are almost identical.

Native Graphics under Mountain Lion

Here is Tony's thread on Native support and why to use GraphicsEnabler=No...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/80-native-support-mountain-lion-ivy-bridge-hd-4000-geforce-6xx.html

Some quotes...

tonymacx86 - 5 Days Ago said:
As far as my own testing goes, the GT 640 is perfectly native- QE/CI, OpenCL using a new preset in the driver that is only in 10.8 Mountain Lion. So no need for any injection!

gallegos_usa - 5 Days Ago said:
You need to understand what GraphicsEnabler=Yes does , or what is set to No does.

Graphics enabler is a feature of Chimera that will "patch" your graphics card string from a DB.
Essentially MacMan and TonyMac update the list of cards so OSX will then load the native drivers.

YOU WANT TO RUN WITH GRAPHICS ENABLER=NO if you can!!!!

Since this means OSX will simply just work with its own drivers no need to patch a thing .
You can also use graphics enabler=yes but chances are your card isn't in the updated in the DB.
Its like making 3 left turns to go the right way , why waste you or your computers time on extra worthless steps.

Not to mention running graphics enabler when its not needed can cause problems

... If set to Yes then you probably need to install a Graphics Enabler like we did in Lion with multibeast, but not sure if there is one yet that is compatible with ML.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back