Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I've tried a test to see why you @HackaShaq and @jimmakos01 and others are getting slow results using Geekbench 4 compared to my system.

What I did was slow my RAM down to 2666MHz from 3600MHz.

Results are: SC 5782 & MC 26822 (My original results were 6179 and 28946 respectively @ stock 3.7GHz).

My take on this is GB is more geared to memory throughput than outtright CPU speed.

Cheers.
View attachment 339826
This is a fantastic datapoint in possibly addressing this issue. Thank you for this test @jb007. Great info!

I wonder if I should load in the trail version of Final Cut Pro simply to run a BruceX test instead, and see if BruceX results in closer speed numbers than Geekbench.

My score at 5GHz (30500) with 16GB @ 3000Mhz i believe is ok. Maybe if i had 32GB or ram, the score will be 31.500.

But i am ok with these results. Next step to delid my cpu for better temperatures.
Solid numbers!
Did you run into any stability issues with the overclock and the CPU running at full tilt?

FYI, I gave your build props in the description section of my Hackintosh build video. Thanks again.
OMG I love this! Thanks for the shout out! :)
It really was the easiest build ever, wasn't it? This build is so great and surprisingly easy. Glad you liked it. Cheers!

Fyi it is not the best idea to use y cable to merge two audio outputs, though it might have protection circuit embedded :)

https://www.rane.com/note109.html
I don't see using this Y cable as an issue at all, since it's a two separate connections that cannot possibly be running at the same time since it requires a reboot into the other OS to get one audio port active over the other, but as always, YMMV. :)

This is a fantastic datapoint in possibly addressing this issue. Thank you for this test @jb007. Great info!

I wonder if I should load in the trail version of Final Cut Pro simply to run a BruceX test instead, and see if BruceX results in closer speed numbers than Geekbench.

Funny you should say that; I did some last night and I got 11.5 secs for Pro Res 422 (I think that wat the codec was) and 18 for H246.
I'm just stepping out to work now but will be back in around 7 hours, look forward to your results!
;)

Funny you should say that; I did some last night and I got 11.5 secs for Pro Res 422 (I think that wat the codec was) and 18 for H246.
I'm just stepping out to work now but will be back in around 7 hours, look forward to your results!
;)
This is great info. Ok, I downloaded BruceX and ran the benchmarks in Final Cut Pro. I definitely have slower numbers than your results:

Pro Res 422 (default) - 16.09 secs
H264 - 19.10 secs

Also, as a test, I rebooted into the BIOS and went into the BIOS Advanced Memory Settings and changed Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) off, and geekbench numbers obviously went down as well.

With X.M.P. Geekbench is 25,125
Without X.M.P. Geekbench is 23,797

(These are both with the CPU overclock)

I just wanted to see the performance number hit when turning off X.M.P. and it's fairly significant.

That tells me that a speed bump from 2666MHz RAM to 3600Mhz RAM could be the exact reasons for not only the slower Geekbench numbers, but it actually is slower real-world performance based on the BruceX results as well.

I may do a 3600Mhz RAM swap out to see if that gets similar ~30,000 geekbench numbers, without changing system identifiers, etc. Even thought the aircooler I bought makes updating RAM a pain, it might be worth it for +~5000 in performance in geekbench.

P.S. @jb007, if you can post the exact brand of 3600 RAM you purchased, maybe even with an Amazon link, I'd love to check it out in case I test out a RAM swap. Thanks!

Last edited:
Paul Cato ? Weren't you in some of those movies with Peter Sellers back in the 70s ?

Enjoyed your Hackintosh Garage video, very entertaining.

Ha, My gym teacher called me Cato.

This is great info. Ok, I downloaded BruceX and ran the benchmarks in Final Cut Pro. I definitely have slower numbers than your results:

Pro Res 422 (default) - 16.09 secs
H264 - 19.10 secs

Also, as a test, I rebooted into the BIOS and went into the BIOS Advanced Memory Settings and changed Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) off, and geekbench numbers obviously went down as well.

With X.M.P. Geekbench is 25,125
Without X.M.P. Geekbench is 23,797

(These are both with the CPU overclock)

I just wanted to see the performance number hit when turning off X.M.P. and it's fairly significant.

That tells me that a speed bump from 2666MHz RAM to 3600Mhz RAM could be the exact reasons for not only the slower Geekbench numbers, but it actually is slower real-world performance based on the BruceX results as well.

I may do a 3600Mhz RAM swap out to see if that gets similar ~30,000 geekbench numbers, without changing system identifiers, etc. Even thought the aircooler I bought makes updating RAM a pain, it might be worth it for +~5000 in performance in geekbench.

P.S. @jb007, if you can post the exact brand of 3600 RAM you purchased, maybe even with an Amazon link, I'd love to check it out in case I test out a RAM swap. Thanks!

In bios settings for the overclock, avxoffset and uncore ratio is at auto? If no, could you tick the auto settings and run the geekbench again? You will not have any problem to boot.

Finished my nearly identical build today. Thank you, HackaShaq, for posting and to all who have added their experience. This was the easiest build I've done by far. The only changes I made were to increase the 500Gb M.2 to 1Tb, add a 2Tb Micron SSD as a Final Cut Pro X scratch/work disk and omit the Firewire and WiFi cards. Can anyone address the pros and cons of overclocking this build? I'm most interested in durability but extra speed without temperature drama would be nice with editing very large (1-2 hour) videos that take a lot of processing time.

Last edited:
Finished my nearly identical build to this today. Thank you, HachaShaq for posting your build and to all who have added their experience. This was the easiest build I've done by far. The only changes I made were to increase the 500Gb M.2 to 1Tb, add a 2Tb Micron SSD as a Final Cut Pro X scratch/work disk and omit the Firewire and WiFi cards. Can anyone address the pros and cons of overclocking this build? I'm most interested in durability but extra speed without temperature drama would be nice with editing very large (1-2 hour) videos that take a lot of processing time.

If you do rendering as you said, for sure you will have lower times to export a video. A safe overclock is at 4.9 with good temps.

You can try the profile that Gigabyte have for overclock at 4.9. Your system will be stable and more faster.

Back