Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Are you able to boot into Sonoma 14.4.1 Recovery disk? If so, you can try reinstalling macOS on the same unbootable drive. This won't damage your data or applications; it will only reinstall the System.
I booted into 14.4.1 Recovery and reinstalled. Afterwards I tried to boot and there was no change. It still freezes 3/4 of the way through. I tried booting in verbose mode, but partway through it blanks, then shows the progress bar again. I also tried resetting NVRAM.

Installing Sonoma requires switching Misc>Security>SecureBootModel to Disabled, otherwise it takes you to an endless boot loop.

Installing Sonoma requires switching Misc>Security>SecureBootModel to Disabled, otherwise it takes you to an endless boot loop.
I booted my hdd backup, mounted the SSD efi and opened the config.plist with OC Configurator. SecureBootModel is already set to "Disabled".

UPDATE: My backup is acting weird. I reentered recovery mode and ran first aid on my hdd, which failed. Maybe I'm having a hard drive failure?

Last edited:
RX 6900 XT should work out of the box. RX 6900 XTXH or RX 6950 XT (which the newer models might be without telling…) require spoofing to a 6900.
Worked right away, better than windows for once.
Do you know if there’s a way to activate resizable bar? Talking about windows, but it seems to be BIOS related. I’m on f9i, CSM disabled and 4G enabled

My HDD with my user folder and data has failed. It also had a partition with a bootable backup. My 500gb sdd has my OS and apps on it. It will boot into recovery. It won't boot with the failed HDD plugged it, but will boot as a different user if the failed drive is unplugged. I also have a separate HDD with a Time Machine backup.

I also have an install thumb drive with Catalina on it.

Please point me to a guide or the protocols for setting up a new hdd to restore my user folder to. Do I use CCC, Migration assistant, Recovery, or what? I've tried some of this but keep hitting roadblocks.

Hey all,

I bought the Fenvi T1919 and placed it in a x1 slot slot on my Z390 DESIGNARE, although I can't seem to get the wifi/bluetooth to work at all.

I've copied the SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml to the CLOVER/ACPI folder on the EFI partition of my Sonoma 14.4.1 NVMe drive and have also added the following kexts (AirportItlwm.kext, BlueToolFixup.kext, IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext, IntelBTPatcher.kext) but not matter if I enable/disable with the OCauxiliaryTools app, it isn't working. I've attached my EFI (SNs removed) below, can someone please help on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    37.3 MB · Views: 5
Hey all,

I bought the Fenvi T1919 and placed it in a x1 slot slot on my Z390 DESIGNARE, although I can't seem to get the wifi/bluetooth to work at all.

I've copied the SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml to the CLOVER/ACPI folder on the EFI partition of my Sonoma 14.4.1 NVMe drive and have also added the following kexts (AirportItlwm.kext, BlueToolFixup.kext, IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext, IntelBTPatcher.kext) but not matter if I enable/disable with the OCauxiliaryTools app, it isn't working. I've attached my EFI (SNs removed) below, can someone please help on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
Hello @DanTechMedia,

Unfortunately Fenvi (Broadcom) WiFi is no longer supported in macOS Sonoma. There is a patch available through OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) that may or may not be ideal. Please see this thread:

My HDD with my user folder and data has failed. It also had a partition with a bootable backup. My 500gb sdd has my OS and apps on it. It will boot into recovery. It won't boot with the failed HDD plugged it, but will boot as a different user if the failed drive is unplugged. I also have a separate HDD with a Time Machine backup.

I also have an install thumb drive with Catalina on it.

Please point me to a guide or the protocols for setting up a new hdd to restore my user folder to. Do I use CCC, Migration assistant, Recovery, or what? I've tried some of this but keep hitting roadblocks.
Hello @pisomojado,

Very sorry to hear that. At the risk of beating the downtrodden ;), this is why we always advise making a bootable backup on a dedicated and external disk that can be disconnected and stored away safely.

At this point your safest option is this:
  • Disconnect and safely store the non-working HDD; whether the data is readable depends on exactly what happened to the HDD
    • When you say the drive has failed, do you know specifically what type of failure that is?
    • In the best case we can mount it via an external SATA-to-USB dock and copy the data to a new drive
    • In the worst case the HDD can be sent to a professional data recovery service that can charge $$$
  • We should first work with the Time Machine backup
I would suggest something like the following, but please keep in mind that I do not fully know your setup and you are still responsible for any steps you take:

If I were in your position, I would do this:
  • Disconnect and store the bad HDD for the time being
  • Purchase and install a new SDD (preferably SDD, not HDD) of the appropriate capacity
    • If your HDD contains far more data than will fit on even the highest capacity SSD, then of course purchase a new replacement HDD
  • Install and format the new SSD (or HDD) as APFS
  • Boot into Recovery and select the option to restore from Time Machine Backup
  • Follow on-screen instructions to restore everything to the new SSD (or HDD)
Nowadays I strongly recommend keeping System and Data on the same physical disk because of compatibility with latest macOS versions.

So if Time Machine gives you an option to restore both System and Data to the same new SSD (or HDD), I would choose that option.

Hello @DanTechMedia,

Unfortunately Fenvi (Broadcom) WiFi is no longer supported in macOS Sonoma. There is a patch available through OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) that may or may not be ideal. Please see this thread:
Hello @CaseySJ!

Thank you for the quick response, much appreciated! I can certainly look into that though I'd like be be able to get a Bluetooth/WiFi card like the Fenvi T1919 that will be supported with future macOS versions for some time to come.

Are there any that you recommend that are fairly straight forward?

I'd like be be able to get a Bluetooth/WiFi card like the Fenvi T1919 that will be supported with future macOS versions for some time to come.
Most likely there won't be one. In two months from today we'll find out whether all Intel Mac support is dropped, forever. I know, not the best scenario but it could happen.

Back