Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Celeri's "Silent Mini Beast" — Z690M-ITX/ax + i5-12600 + RX 6600

Hi @Celeri and many thanks for sharing your build!

I'm thinking about building a mini hack myself...what do you think about this ASRock mobo? Is it the first ASRock you use? Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of this brand, don't think it's the most reliable....
The problem is that it seems to be the ONLY z690 itx with DDR4!
Yep, this is my very first ASRock. I did not have any personal opinion on this brand before diving into this build, but I had already seen quite a few number of other builds using ASRock motherboards or GPUs, so... And, also, like I said in my first post, only ASRock has a IT/X Z690-based motherboard at a reasonable price, so I did not really have a choice.

Anyway, my "Silent Mini Beast" build is now 3 months old, and is still running fast & silent, just as expected. And I do not have any regret with it!

I followed this post @Celeri , along with @CaseySJ and OC Installation Guide, built my 2nd Hackintosh that appears to be running pretty well.

- Z690M-ITX/ac
- Core i5-13600K, all cores and HT enabled, with CPUTopologyRebuild kext.
- Gskill TridentZ 2x16 GB DDR4 3200, XMP enabled
- NZXT H1v2, with 140mm AIO for CPU cooling
- AsRock Challenger RX 6600 8GB
- SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
- BCM94360NG (on its way), for now just using on-board Realtek 8125B 2.5G Ethernet

The only thing I've changed from @Celeri 's config was to add kexts for CPUTopologyRebuild, RestrictEvents, and replaced ALC with ALCU and disabled my onboard audio, since I have a USB DAC and it seems to cause coreaudiod conflicts, results in sleep failures. After disabling the onboard audio in BIOS and replacing ALC with ALCU, sleep works fine now.

Another note to other builders that would like to use @Celeri 's config: This config is generated with OC 0.8.3, BE SURE to use a corresponding configurator should you choose to do so, or you will waste so much time in debugging a bug that isn't there.
Hello friend, I have the same board and the same processor but I have not been able to succeed yet, can you post your EFI please?

Hello friend, I have the same board and the same processor but I have not been able to succeed yet, can you post your EFI please?
Could you specify which step or what error is preventing you from booting successfully?

Could you specify which step or what error is preventing you from booting successfully?
Hello @ddmilkshake After presenting that it reboots, I'm trying to install Monterrey, download the EFI posted by @Celeri and just add the CPUTopologyRebuild and RestrictEvents kexts as you indicated above.

This is my pc
Board: ASRock Z690M Z690M-ITX/ax
CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K
Case: HYTE Revolt 3
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 6600 MECH 2X 8G
RAM : Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Memory Kit 64GB, XMP enabled
SSD: SSD 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 500GB

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2023-01-20 a la(s) 9.14.55 p. m..png
    Captura de pantalla 2023-01-20 a la(s) 9.14.55 p. m..png
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
Hello @ddmilkshake After presenting that it reboots, I'm trying to install Monterrey, download the EFI posted by @Celeri and just add the CPUTopologyRebuild and RestrictEvents kexts as you indicated above.

This is my pc
Board: ASRock Z690M Z690M-ITX/ax
CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K
Case: HYTE Revolt 3
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 6600 MECH 2X 8G
RAM : Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Memory Kit 64GB, XMP enabled
SSD: SSD 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 500GB
Just to make sure: are you installing Monterey 12.1 at least? The 6600 is not supported priori to this version.

Just to make sure: are you installing Monterey 12.1 at least? The 6600 is not supported priori to this version.

Yes, I tried to install Monterey and Ventura.

Following up a little here: I had some spare time this week-end, and I upgraded my "Silent Mini Beast" to Ventura 13.2. The update itself was smooth and I got only few quirks with 3-4 apps that had to be reinstalled, but no big deal. Noting to report, really, the system is doing great! :)

The only matter I have to deal with is the "Memory Modules Misconfigured" notification I get after each reboot. It seems that the RestrictEvents kext can solve this, but I still have to test it.

Note: before I made this upgrade, I also updated OpenCore to 0.8.8. Everything OK here also: no problem or any special difficulty. I will publish my EFI folder soon for those who are interested.

Hi, I hope you are all fine.
This is my second build, and I am struggling a lot. My first build was with a MSI MB and a 10th gen intel i5, and it went so smooth, unlike this one.
Here is my current setup, which I try to get working:

MB: ASRock H670M-ITX/ax / LGA 1700 / H670
CPU: Alder Lake core i5-12600 CPUID 00090675h
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V F4-4400C19D-64GVK / DDR4-3200 64GB (2x32GB) / 1.35V / 16 18 18 36
Video PCIe: XFX RX 6600 XT Speedster Merc 301 (Navi 23)
Storage: WD_BLACK SN850X 1000GB
BIOS version: 10.02
ENABLED: Hyper Threading, Intel Virtualization (Advanced\CPU Config), Above 4G Decoding (Advanced\Chipset Config), SATA mode AHCI (Advanced\Storage), XHCI Hand-Off (Advanced\USB Config), C.A.M [Resizable Bar] (Advanced\Chipset Config), Intel AVX/AVX2
DISABLED: CSM, Fast Boot (Boot), Intel Platform Trust, Secure Boot (Security), Security Device Support TPM (Advanced\Trusted Computing), CFG Lock (Advanced\CPU Config), VT-d, Legacy USB Support

I am trying to install macOS Ventura 13.2 (latest to date, but I have similar issues with Ventura 13.0.1)

After hours of trial I was only able to get rid of the constant reboots afetr I set the security parameter to "Disabled" instead of "Default". While it was set to "Default" the macOS took the liberty to change my BIOS secure boot setting from OFF to ON !!!!
It did the same with the "Intel Platform Trust" BIOS parameter, which was also enabled by the installer!
I never saw such a behavior before.

Now after disabling the "Legacy USB Support" in BIOS, and set the Booter parameter "RebuildAppleMemoryMap" to "True" I am no more stuck at [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START] constant computer restart looping

Now the white Apple logo on a black background is bigger and I see some progress bar. Unfortunately I have a new error message at the end "support.apple.com/mac/startup" with a grey prohibition sign :( weird

May be someone can help me ? I put the logs here and tomorrow I will put all my config files here too.
I put the plist file here too :)

Attachments

• OC_boot_logs.txt
    28.3 KB · Views: 39
  • config_without_serial.plist
    35.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Hi @Stamy,

Sorry to hear that you are so much strugging with this build, which should definitely run on the paper.

Have you tried installing another version of macOS, such as Monterey (12.1 minimum), just to see if this works?

Hi @Stamy,

Sorry to hear that you are so much strugging with this build, which should definitely run on the paper.

Have you tried installing another version of macOS, such as Monterey (12.1 minimum), just to see if this works?
Hi, thank you for your reply. I have the exact same issue at the same place with Monterey. I do not know which version of Monterrey it is, but it is from November 2022.
I did also a BIOS default settings and clear CMOS. In my Win10 live I downloaded all the drivers with the Asrock tool. Recreated the USB map with only 15 devices, and also HET.kext with replacing the ACPI/Patch folder...

I made a long post but it was deleted somehow (moderator ?) with no explanation.
I was asking if you have deleted some parts of your plist file, like Patch sections ?
Also did you use pre-generated version of the ACPI files ? Or did you use SSDTtime to generate you own files, like me ?

I am wondering if my GPU is causing all this trouble, but I have no other compatible AMD GPU on hand.
Also I did not try the CPUFriend.kext yet, may be I should ? My CPU does not have E cores !

Now I have no more Apple prohibiting sign, but the screen goes just dark after around 20% of the white apple logo progress bar ...
I am using debug version of OC. I saw there is newer version out today, may be I will try that one.

Back