Contribute
Register

[Success]: ASUS P7P55D-E LX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 [Guide]

Did you find this guide to be helpful?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
10.8.3 update anyone?

gonna update, making back up and just want to check before updating if anybody updated to 10.8.3?

After updating from 10.8.2 to 10.8.3 my machine started to KP at boot due to the VoodooHDA.kext which is known to be problematic at times so its suggested to use at your own risk, I typically don't get issues with it but when I do I tend to figure out a solution. I figured out that by deleting the AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E resolved my KP issue and the machine now boots without any issues.

10.8.3.png

after installing update, before restarting os x, I deleted AppleHDA.kext and restarted then booted normally without KP, thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Just a quick question. I am running a very simliar setup to you, and have things configured very similarly. Been running 10.8 for the past month or so. It has been very stable and I haven't bothered updating for fear of breaking it. Can I run the 10.8.4 combo updater without completely breaking it? Obviously there will probably be issues like sound not working, but will it boot? I have some screenshots of my system in case that helps. They are in an imgur album located here : http://imgur.com/a/mpYIg#0. Any help is greatly appreciated. Your guide was very useful as well. Thank you very much for sharing all this knowledge.

Just a quick question. I am running a very simliar setup to you, and have things configured very similarly. Been running 10.8 for the past month or so. It has been very stable and I haven't bothered updating for fear of breaking it. Can I run the 10.8.4 combo updater without completely breaking it? Obviously there will probably be issues like sound not working, but will it boot? I have some screenshots of my system in case that helps. They are in an imgur album located here : http://imgur.com/a/mpYIg#0. Any help is greatly appreciated. Your guide was very useful as well. Thank you very much for sharing all this knowledge.

I always suggest making a backup or a clone before attempting any updates. And I for one do not use the combo updates and instead just update via AppStore. If you use VoodooHDA.kext for audio, I would first move the kext to the desktop from the S\L\E folder and repair permissions. Also check to see if AppleHDA.kext is being used in S\L\E. If you don't see it, when you update it will put that file back so you will have to remove. Some systems run fine with both the AppleHDA & VoodooHDA kexts in S\L\E but my system causes a KP when using both so I needed to make sure that I deleted AppleHDA.kext from S\L\E after the update...repair permissions...install VoodooHDA.kext...repair permissions...reboot. I hope this helps you. I have successfully updated my system to 10.8.4.
Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 9.34.50 AM.png

I always suggest making a backup or a clone before attempting any updates. And I for one do not use the combo updates and instead just update via AppStore. If you use VoodooHDA.kext for audio, I would first move the kext to the desktop from the S\L\E folder and repair permissions. Also check to see if AppleHDA.kext is being used in S\L\E. If you don't see it, when you update it will put that file back so you will have to remove. Some systems run fine with both the AppleHDA & VoodooHDA kexts in S\L\E but my system causes a KP when using both so I needed to make sure that I deleted AppleHDA.kext from S\L\E after the update...repair permissions...install VoodooHDA.kext...repair permissions...reboot. I hope this helps you. I have successfully updated my system to 10.8.4.
View attachment 58291

Okay thank you. I will definitely clone my disk before trying anything. Another question: I am currently running a soft RAID0, but just for storage. I am booting off an SSD. If it fails, and I restore, will my soft RAID0 still be usable? I really dont feel re copying all 2tb's worth of data. Thanks again.

updated to 10.8.4 via comboupdate. no problem so far with the system in my profle :)

Successfully completed the update. However, a week ago I lost power and now it only boots in verbose mode for some reason. Not a huge deal but something seems strange. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ponton.

Successfully completed the update. However, a week ago I lost power and now it only boots in verbose mode for some reason. Not a huge deal but something seems strange. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ponton.

try booting as ignore caches...or if it gives KP on normal boot, look what it says or take a picture...

try booting as ignore caches...or if it gives KP on normal boot, look what it says or take a picture...
Removed darkboot=1 and PCIRootUID=0 from the boot flags and added npci=0x2000. Seemed to fix it. Boots nice and fast every time. Thanks for the help though. Really nice to have such a great community to ask for help.

Lexone, Thank you for making this the easiest Hackintosh setup ever. I have the same motherboard as you with an Intel i5 760 processor and Nvidia GTX570 graphics card. I followed all your steps to the letter T and got my system fully functional without any issues. The only additions I had to make was to install the Nvidia Fermi and the Realtek RTL LAN drivers via Multibeast. The rest of the steps were directly followed from your guide. Just brilliant. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back