Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stork's Sandy Bridge Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - Lion

Run MultiBeast and use my MultiBeast screen snapshot in this thread's original post as your template so you will not need iBoot. If you still can't log in to the MAS, then follow this trick: viewtopic.php?p=211349#p211349 But run MultiBeast first.

The Cliff Notes version of my (albeit short) hackintosh experience to date... I deploy Snow Leopard without issues and can boot via iBoot and surf the web (at low resolution via internal HD3000). I run MultiBeast and my config is dead unable to boot at all.

So I was up to 10.6.8 with a combo update. I ran MultiBeast using the same settings as your build Stork. I deviated in one place - I did not include the tonymacx86 remixed theme. I was worried there may be some incompatibility with the fact athat my graphics resolutions are low. Other than that is was the standard DSDT for my board plus the MB settings in your build.

When I boot either directly into Snow Leopard or via iBoot, I get the Apple logo screen with the small spinning wheel for about 30-60 seconds, then my screen flips to an all grey screen and never moves again...

Feels like I am throwing too many changes out there all at once. Is there a better way to add in the chages one at a time in order to see what is locking up the system?

Not sure what to do next... Ideas?

Thanks,

Jay

The are two MultiBeast programs - one for Snow Leopard and one for Lion. Did you use the Snow Leopard MultiBeast version 3.10.1? The Lion version is 4.3.2.

If you did use the Lion MB, boot use iBoot and run the SL MB, checking only UserDSDT and System Utilities item boxes. This should get you to boot w/o iBoot. (You are using the F10 DSDT for the Z68X-UD3H, aren't you?!)

BTW, I've found there's no difference in my MB choices for either SL or Lion. It's all under the hood, so to speak. :lol:

Make sure you read page 3 in the MB Features document as it defines the default loads. This is a good reference for each time you run MB.

Thanks Stork.

I'm sure I am using the right MB for SL and the right DSDT for my motherboard. I tried it Friday with only UserDST and System Utilities. Tried other versions as well. I can only assume this is a graphics related issue. I give up! So close - was at 10.6.8 but just could not get into the Apple Store! I just ordered an EVGA 8400 GS for $32 and Tuesday delivery frmo Amazon. Will let you know what happens Tuesday night.

Looking forward to enjoying the rig a little instead of watching it install SL. ;-) When I load an Ubuntu ISO it is amazing how fast the hardware is compared with my old PC...

Jay

I don't know why you can't do it, and I was successful.

The Mac App Store is a common problem. viewtopic.php?p=211349#p211349

i have you exact system but with a core i3 with hd 3000
what would be the cheapest oob graphics card that would work better than hd 3000
i cant stand the artifacts and the hdcp error in itunes.

Not sure about oob, but I have the EVGA 8400GS w/ 1GB RAM on order arriving tomorrow. It was $33 on Amazon. Let you know how it goes.

Stork said:
I don't know why you can't do it, and I was successful.

The Mac App Store is a common problem. viewtopic.php?p=211349#p211349

Stork, you were successful w/ exact same scenario? Snow Leopard booting on HD3000? Or did you go straight to Lion?

Thanks,

Jay

grantnlee,
After I wrote my original post, I was involved in beta testing the UniBeast installation. (I was Beta testing a noob install.) I decided to do a clean install starting with the Snow Leopard Installation DVD. I reloaded the BIOS with a clean Optimize settings and set up the BIOS via my build description, and I used the tonymacx86 Sandy Bridge method to load Snow Leopard (see last link in my signature block). This got me to SL 10.6.8, but only had low resolution - 1024x768, IIRC. :p

I then re-downloaded the Install Lion app from the MAS. I created the UniBeast USB stick using check list version of the tonymacx86 UniBeast installation guide and installed Lion. I then had the correct resolution for my monitor (1920x1200). :clap:

Since that time, I have not had the occasion to do a clean SL installation. BTW, I have a backup of the last SL 10.6.8 for each system. (Probably, horribly out of date by now, app update wise.)

BTW, I've only had to reset my network via the previous posted link since 10.7.2 (again, IIRC).

As I've said in my build description and in this series of posts, it's easy as falling off a log. I recommend you sacrifice a chicken and try again. :lol:

Another thought. I disconnected all harddrives except the installation drive, using only the DVD and SSD. I also have the BIOS setup to boot from the SSD. Then I don't have to worry about which drive is connected to what SATA connector.

but is the EVGA 8400GS w/ 1GB RAM better than hd 3000 graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back