Contribute
Register

Stork's Son-of-Zorro Build: Core i7-2700K - GA-Z68X-UD3H - HD 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I suspect I've got one or more bad memory sticks, I run memtext86 for 24 hours.

Wow boots from USB, haven't looked at that in a long time.

Update:
I'm not confident that various sticks are good or bad yet - seems to intermittent to be definitive.

I got into the BIOS setting for a few minutes before it would crash and saved the settings after not changing anything. I tried to reduce the clock speed to 35X100, but it still goes to 36X100 when it boots.

Suddenly, it rebooted fine with the one stick of ram on the f12.
Did work all day on the machine before shutting down.

Added all the rest of the ram and everything is fine now.

I'll look into ram tests I guess, but the whole thing is a little enigmatic.

Hi Stork!
I've read a few months ago, in some other thread, that you planned to update your Z68 builds to Sierra, have you tried it?
I'd like to test Sierra on my Z68 build to see if all my old apps & drivers are still running correctly, before maybe a new Skylake build... ;-)
My old software/hardware includes: Digidesign MBox II/ProTools 8.0.5 and an old Kensington Expert Mouse USB 1.0 trackball which 32 bit driver has been successfully replaced by USB Overdrive. The tricky thing is that PT 8.0.5 is not supposed to work in Mavericks but it does — while I've read more recent versions wouldn't even install on it! :-D — so it's crucial for me to keep it working on my possible new build...
I'm wondering if it would be easier/safer and more compatible to update to El Capitan instead — I'm still on Mavericks. What do you think?

First, I, too, am on Mavericks on my 2011 17" MBP. I like the interface. Since I've used all the OS X/macOS builds since 10.0.0 Beta, I've grown to like Mavericks, and I will use it on my MBP until they stop giving it security updates. So, if you don't need to update, I recommend you don't. The olde saying comes to mind - "if it's not broke, don't fix it." :lol:

I've not got around to do a final Sierra installation on my P55Ms and Z68s. I did quick tests to see if the tonymacx86 software could install Sierra back before the September (2016) release. I've not had the time to devote to install on those systems including Zorro, SoZ and Little Zorro (Z68M). However, we're suppose to have some inclement weather this week, so it will be a good time to try a fresh install.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll report back within a week.

I installed Sierra successfully by doing a fresh install on a unused SSD, and I have updated the Post #1 installation and benchmarks to reflect the Sierra 10.12.1 installation.

Basically, I did the following:
:ch: Create the UniBeast (Legacy) USB installation thumb drive and put MultiBeast for Sierra on it. I used a USB 2.0 thumb drive and inserted into the USB 2 plug in the stack with the PS/2 plug.

:ch: Booted into the BIOS and set the thumb drive to be the boot drive. Saved the BIOS change and rebooted into the installer.

:ch: After the installer complete, the system rebooted and selected the Sierra installation (still using the thumb drive as the boot drive).

:ch: During the second part installation of the installation, it will ask you to log into your iCloud - don't - do it later.

:ch: Next, the installer asked if you want to use Migration Assistant to recover you previous installation applications, user information, etc. I chose to bring over my El Capitan installation applications, etc., but don't check the Other Files box.

:ch: Copied MultiBeast from the thumb drive to the Desktop and ran MultiBeast with the following configuration choices:
Quick Start > Legacy Boot Mode
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC889
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
Drivers > Misc > Fake SMC HWMonitor Application
Drivers > Network > Realtek > RealtekTRL8111 (latest version)
Customize SSDT > Options > Sandy Bridge Core i7 <---You will need this for an i7 K processor (there is also an option for the i5 K processor).​
full
:ch: After MultiBeast completed, reboot into the BIOS and change the boot drive to the Sierra installation.

Done! Everything should work OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back