Contribute
Register

Stork's HTPC Old School P55M-UD2 But Cool HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merci, Stork ! (I'm in Paris, France)

I like Handbrake a lot, it's a really great work.
I have two questions about this build and alternatives but similar ones, based on an HTPC case.

1) is it too much asking for this kind of cases to put a i5 2500 K in it ? (in terms of heat/noise).
2) if somebody has build such a configuration (i5 2500 K) and used Handbrake with a HTPC case, how much time does it take to convert a DVD to MKV on Handbrake ? (on my late 2006 MacBook Pro, it takes 2 hours...)

Thanks to everyone, have a nice day : here in Paris the spring is beautiful...
i-Moi

1. An i5-2500K will work. I have an i5-760 in the HacHTPC. But, do your homework for a good, slim (low height) heatsink.

2. I can't tell you the exact time. But, my conversions don't take long. Certainly much shorter than your 2006 MBP. :thumbup: However, I'd ask that question on the Handbrake forum. There has to be some benchmarks there.

Spring came very early in the USA Midwest, and, it, too, is beautiful. Unfortunately, tornado season also started early.

Thanks a lot !
I'd love to see those landscapes someday : for the moment, the ones I'm about to discover are the inner ones of the Lian Li PC-C50 : I was thinking about a Scythe Rasetsu (2 hours of homework for that conclusion...) to go with the i5 2500 K. Or, as everybody else, wait for the new Ivy Bridge CPUs...
You're right, I'll check in the Handbrake forums about the benchmarks.

Bye and thanks again, your advice really helps, I appreciate, always difficult when one begins.

i-Moi

Hello Stork,

would you be so kind and post your DSDT for this set-up here? I've the same hardware and want to use it as HTPC with HDMI-audio. I've no idea what exactly to change in the original DSDT for this mobo.
That would be perfect.

Thanks in advance

Huberer

Huberer,
My apologies to you and others for not posting the DSDT along with the /Extra folder which are not on the forum elsewhere. I know the mod's are described, but a full up, drag and drop is what's needed. So, the original post has been updated. Thank you for calling this omission to my attention. :thumbup:

Thank you very much Stork. In the meantime I had a look around how to mod the dsdt and found the way but couldn't get hdmi audio working. With your dsdt (which looks quite the same like mine) and the AppleHDA I was able to get audio over hdmi to work.
Don't know what I did wrong with my dsdt but anyway it works.

So thank you again for your quick reply and keep up that good work :clap:

Hello Stork,

I am currently trying to build a HTPC because the computer is in the same room as the TV so I would use it as a computer in Dualview and htpc but I find it hard to choose the components to make this hackintosh with the difficulty activation of the audio by HDMI.

Your htpc with the GT430 is enough to make the film in 1080p without lag?
Do you have any advice for the components ? Or I can try to find the same build as you in occasion perhaps if ti work well ...

Thanks in advance.

boolinou,
tonymacx86 and I both converted our P55M-UD2 systems to HTPCs; tonymacx86 recommended the card to me, too. The system is overkill for a HTPC. I also have a early 2009 Mac Mini 2.3GHz Core Duo that I use as an HTPC. It, too, easily serves HTPC in 1080p.

A couple of the moderators are using their Apple G4 Cube mod project as HTPCs using the H67N-USB3 mobo and an i3-2125 which supports HD3000. Reports are they're driving 1080p from the mobo's HDMI connecter.

So, you don't need a rip roaring system (no pun intended) to have an HTPC.

BTW, there's several ways to set up a HTPC. I've got a 2TB WD Green HDD in both my HTPCs for media. My HacHTPC also uses files stored on one of my NAS units.

Bottom line is make sure your HTPC runs cool and silent. My Mac Mini HTPC is silent and was my first HTPC. So, when I made the HacHTPC, I looked for a case that would look like my A/V components in the A/V tower and be silent. After all you want to hear the media, not your HTPC fans. :thumbup:

Thank you very much for the reply Stork,
What you use to read your files: Plex or XBMC or another?

About my current config: MSI H61MA-E35 - Core i3-2100 - Nvidia G210
I unfortunately did not manage to run the audio through HDMI and after reading the tutorial, I do not feel qualified to do especially as the G210 does not allow it I think!

So I was thinking of finding a config efficient enjoying a DSDT functional. That is how I came across to your build!
I could possibly try to find a the same CM as yours in occasion but is it interesting today?

If the other idea was to take a graphics card with an optical output and connect the PC to the receiver via the optical output.

Any advice ? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back