Contribute
Register

Sonoma 14.3.1 Installation on the Dell OptiMac 7020/9020 Desktops

Its not working in my pc.
Second problem a black screen in the wallpaper after 1 second from the startup.
Third problem not working the second 2k dell monitor.
I said in post #1 that Sonoma is not natively supported on this hardware. Don't upgrade unless there's a really good and valid reason that you must have Sonoma installed.
I use for years you catalina guide . Its perfect.
Yes, it should be as Catalina is fully supported.
Have you make a guide for a newer Dell or hp pc?
Not planning on it right now. I have a 10th gen Gigabyte system that's working fine
so I plan on using that for the longer term.

Last edited:
The IGPU for the i7-4770 is not supported in Sonoma. So unless you have a discrete GPU in your system, that you have not listed, you are not going to be able to run Sonoma.

Monterey was the last release of macOS to natively support the Haswell HD4600 IGPU. A Discrete GPU is required for Ventura and Sonoma. As you have a MT Dell system you should be able to find a supported AMD GPU (secondhand or new). You will need to disable the IGPU in the BIOS and just use the discrete GPU if you are set on running Sonoma.

See the link below for supported AMD GPUs.

So unless you have a discrete GPU in your system, that you have not listed, you are not going to be able to run Sonoma.
Sonoma does work with OCLP patches applied for HD4600. As you know, there are drawbacks to disabling SIP etc.

Yeah, I know but I am never going to point people to that solution.

Yeah, I know but I am never going to point people to that solution.
I posted this guide because people always eventually ask for one to run the latest macOS. Some people possibly need it if they develop apps with Xcode and don't have an Apple Silicon Mac yet. Or they just can't afford an AMD dGPU yet.

Last edited:
I said in post #1 that Sonoma is not natively supported on this hardware. Don't upgrade unless there's a really good and valid reason that you must have Sonoma installed.

Yes, it should be as Catalina is fully supported.

Not planning on it right now. I have a 10th gen Gigabyte system that's working fine
so I plan on using that for the longer term.
Have you a guide in tonymacx for this 10th system?

Follow the Dortania 10th gen Comet Lake guide. Super easy because it has native support.
UHD 630 works OOB in Sonoma so no patches required. You could also use an AMD card like a RX 6600.

Thanks for the answers.
I will install Monterey.
I have another second dell 9020 Mt . It not have any amt_dash_vpro sticker. How found if the pc is OK for Monterey with hd4600 installation?

Back