Contribute
Register

Sonoma 14.3.1 Installation on the Dell OptiMac 7020/9020 Desktops

I just tested mine with a 2nd monitor, HP 27es. I tried connecting it after booting up and reaching the desktop and it worked. Booted from a complete shutdown with both connected and it works as well. So if you're using my EFI folder unaltered, the only thing it could be is the cables or the monitors you're connected to. My other monitor is a 24" LG.

Try to connect both with just DP cables and no DVI or VGA adaption. That might be the problem.

"So if you're using my EFI folder unaltered"

Well, I will go back and check that maybe that could be it. I installed OCPatch and it did in fact install and ask to be rebooted.

DP cables are what I am using, I only tested the others as a part of the TS.

here is a screenshot of the current EFI on my local.

1711827819849.png

What is OCPatch ?

I used both these tools after installing and moving the EFI folder to the local SSD.

Step 4. After Sonoma install completes, you'll run the OC Legacy Patcher app and apply the root patches. If you have a Broadcom Wifi/BT card installed, it will install root patches for that as well as Intel HD4600. Note that all kexts required for supported BRCM Wifi/BT cards are already included in the EFI folder. My genuine Apple BRCM94360CD card is fully enabled. BT works perfectly too.

Step 5. Copy over your USB's EFI folder to the EFI partition of your SSD. Reboot after you've ejected your USB installer. Now open up your SSD's EFI config.plist with OCAT. Go to Platform Info (PI tab). Generate all serials, MLB and ROM, SMUUID for an iMacPro1,1. Make sure to save changes by clicking on the diskette icon. Check your System Serial at Apple's website for warranty coverage. https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

OCLP: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases
OCAT: https://github.com/ic005k/OCAuxiliaryTools/releases/tag/20240001

I think I see what I did wrong, I copied the file over 1st then ran the step 4 and 5. I am going to copy the original EFI file back to local and redo step 5 skipping step 4 since I already ran it.

I usually run my OptiMac in dark mode. I switched to light mode and noticed the dock looks opaque.
Has everyone else that has posted in this thread seen the same in light mode ? Let me know.

Screenshot.jpg

Screenshot 1.jpg

Graphics acceleration is working but the dock is still opaque.

Last edited:
Imperfect implementation of the Haswell Framebuffer, would be my first thoughts.

If you let the OCLP devs know about the Dock transparency failure, they may fix the issue. I am fairly sure you won't be the only person with this graphics issue. Someone else with a Haswell iMac/MBP/MBA may have already raised the issue.

Imperfect implementation of the Haswell Framebuffer
It looks like it's something Apple did to the GUI. There are different levels of transparency that you can switch on or off in Settings. Go to Accessibility -> Display and then toggle the switch (Reduce Transparency) to off. It makes mine look somewhat transparent. Not how it used to look in older macOS editions.

Screenshot 1.jpg

It changes it from this:
Screenshot 7.jpg

to this:
Screenshot 2.jpg

Here's a wallpaper in Light mode. Has a frosted glass look.

Screenshot 8.jpg

Last edited:
Never looked in the Accessibility section of System Settings, never really needed to.

Are those transparency options available for other supported GPUs?

I could understand them being present for people who need to turn transparency off, so the icons look sharper against the solid background. I wouldn’t have thought they were provided for a Hack to increase transparency. Or why the default setting would ever be transparency off in macOS.

Are those transparency options available for other supported GPUs?
Yes they are.
Or why the default setting would ever be transparency off in macOS.
The default setting for "Reduce Transparency" is off. I now remember toggling it to on right after installing Sonoma and I left it there while in Dark Mode. It's hard to notice it's on when in Dark Mode.

Next change enable-hdmi20 in the .plist so that it starts with 01 instead of 00. Reboot and see if your HDMI audio works.
Its not working in my pc.
Second problem a black screen in the wallpaper after 1 second from the startup.
Third problem not working the second 2k dell monitor.
I will try the Monterey guide.
I use for years you catalina guide . Its perfect.
My pc is a 9020 Mt with i7 4770 and 24gb ram and nvme Kingston.

Have you make a guide for a newer Dell or hp pc?

Last edited:
Back