Graphics
NVIDIA GTX660-DC2O-2GD5
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Lisa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone! I recently began the journey into OSX86 installation. My first try was with my desktop, using a well known distro... It was so slow and awful, although functioned. I found this site and really wanted to go the "legit" way, purchasing lion and using it with UniBeast. It worked perfectly thanks to this site after installing some kexts, normal post-install stuff, and is very fast and stable as a rock.

Then I moved to my G570 laptop... Oh boy :think: :lolno:

Upon installing using Unibeast to install Lion, the machine boots with perfectly working graphics (Intel HD3000) The next step, was to try to get wireless working, or even ethernet. Big trouble. It has the AR9285 wireless card... I know a LOT of people have trouble with it. I've searched high and low for kexts, and found many, with 20 or more posts apiece saying they all worked great for the AR9285. They don't here! Someone said I need to manually edit the kexts to add my hardware. I wondered if this is worth the effort to learn and try, or is the AR9285 more often than not a complete lost cause and I should move back to Windows on the laptop? Thanks!

Lenovo G570
1TB HDD
8GB RAM
Intel HD3000
Atheros AR9285 wireless
OS X 10.7.3

Re: An issue with my Lenovo G570 i3 series laptop & Lion 10.7.3

Its probably best to purchase an aftermarket wireless card...

My laptop came with an Intel wireless card that was 100% incompatible. Now, I purchased an Atheros AR5B93 card when Snow Leopard was still the current build and it ran perfectly.

After Lion was released, each .1 update broke the functionality but with 10.7.4 it still works.

The AR5B93 is wicked cheap online just google it.

However, try this kext for your card: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1785

Re: Network issue with Lenovo G570 i3 laptop & Lion 10.7.3

Thank you for replying!

Well, I have tried the kext you linked, thank you though!

I didn't realize it was possible to change the wireless cards in a laptop. I will probably try going that route. Thank you! :thumb up:

Edit: Ordered the AR5B93 and we'll see how it goes! :D

OneBlueSky said:
Thank you for replying!

Well, I have tried the kext you linked, thank you though!

I didn't realize it was possible to change the wireless cards in a laptop. I will probably try going that route. Thank you! :thumb up:

Edit: Ordered the AR5B93 and we'll see how it goes! :D

Let me know if you need any kexts for the AR5B93 wireless card.

Now replacing wireless cards is wicked easy. If you've ever replaced your RAM or HDD of your laptop you will be right at home. Now, my laptop, the Lenovo Y550P, would not allow a 3rd party wireless adapter. So when I tried booting my laptop with the AR5b93 installed, I would get a BIOS error!

I had no idea I had to download a tool and flash my BIOS in Windows 7. But after doing so, it worked flawlessly.

Google is your friend here.

I feel like a dick because I didn't tell you everything also. I just ordered a different wireless card because I am worried Mountain Lion will be a pain in the ass with it. I just ordered this card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GD ... 00_s00_i00

Now this is a dual band card that was in a lot of Macbook Pros earlier, and should be mostly plug and play like the AR5B93 was with Snow Leopard.

Don't feel like you should cancel your order. The AR5B9X series is heavily supported for the Hackintosh community and I am mostly confident it will work with ML.

If you google search how to get the AR5B93 working, you will see a lot of posts by me trying to figure it out (all the threads are solved!)

10.7.3 kext for AR5B93: http://www.osx86.net/view/921-io80211family.kext.html

10.7.4 kext for AR5B93: http://www.osx86.net/view/2311-ar5b195_ ... _size.html

I will update this post if I continue using this card for 10.7.5 and 10.8.X

I appreciate it man! It will arrive in 3-5 business days so I'll post back here if it arrives and I have any trouble with it!

I'm fairly tech-savvy. It's just the whole switch to OS X that is unknown to me. I really wanted to use OS X after working with Macs at my workplace. But I wasn't about to pay thousands for a machine that my desktop already dwarfed spec for spec, or thousands more for one just marginally better! So any kind of money I have to spend on Lion, Mountain Lion, or parts to make them work, I am happy to do so. If I run into issues with this new wireless adapter and need to order the other you just posted, not a problem, so don't feel like a dick, lol :D

Thanks again man! I'll certainly let you know if I have any trouble. Appreciate the help!

I'll let you know how this 'newer' wireless adapter holds up. They are always a pain in the ass with OS X which just confuses me.

But good luck! Don't let it get too frustrating. I've had to do so many reinstalls/wipes on this laptop just to get it all working.

Remember to do a time machine backup after a perfect setup!

Appreciate it! If it's better at all, I'll probably go ahead and order it in the future. I only paid 5 bucks for the AR5B93 plus 2.50 for shipping, lol.

Well, I expected a laptop to be much more troublesome than my desktop. I had a lot of problems at first with my desktop using a distro that shall not be named. It worked, but it was SO slow, performance sucked, would kernel panic relatively often especially when booting or shutting down… Trying to update OS X COMPLETELY broke the installation… I was about to throw the towel in on the whole OSX86 thing, then I stumbled on this forum and bought a legit copy, and used the instructions here… I had to reinstall/wipe 3 or 4 times but after that, I had a perfect install, everything works, it performs just like it should, updates perfectly, loving it!

The laptop works well so far aside from networking. I haven't even started trying with the sleep/lid closing stuff yet, but I seldom do that anyway. It's usually either on, or off so I'm not too concerned there. Sound works fine after kext installation, graphics were perfect even during installation. If I can get wireless going, it's all good for me!

Lid sleep is very sketchy on my Y550P. It works about 75% of the time and since I got an SSD, I usually just shut down since booting up is so fast.

But here is what I used on my Lenovo laptop and it works for a variety of systems.
http://www.osx86.net/view/2710-sleepena ... n4050.html

The AR5B93 has served me well, but I had to do all the work myself in finding a Kext that worked for each Lion update which I just no longer have the patience for. I'm sure I helped at least a few people.

Well, I got the card in the mail today! We'll see how it goes! So far after installing the new card, I've been sitting at the Apple logo with the spinning wheel for about 15 minutes trying to install via USB. Hopefully it will go on through from there and let me install... With the old wireless card it would go in within 2 minutes so it's kind of not looking good! :confused: Maybe the BIOS flash to allow the new adapter did something?

Yeah, I've heard lots of nightmare stories about lid sleep on Hackintosh laptops, I'm not worried about that :) I either shut it off, or it's on and open, so it's not an issue for me really.

Edit: Booted with verbose, it seemed to hang on "transcript offline - buffer pool allocate [181000] failed" then had a message about atheros ethernet ip (it went to a blank light blue screen before I could read exactly what it said) and now it's hung at the light blue screen. Any idea what might cause it? Was working perfectly before changing the wireless adapter. I did have to flash the BIOS, but none of the settings changed, it only changed the whitelist so the adapter would work.

Edit 2: Yayy!! Got it to boot into installation by using -v -x ! Now installing Lion, will update how things go and work after install. It seems somehow changing the wireless adapter (the only thing that was changed!) Made it so my Intel HD3000 graphics card no longer works right, but I am sure I can fix that with a next post install :)

Re: Issues with Lenovo G570 i3 laptop & Lion 10.7.3

AWESOME! Wifi works as of right now on 10.7.3. I know it will break after updating to 10.7.4 but it's so awesome to have it! lol.

Now to get everything else working properly. Never went further because it wasn't worth bothering if it didn't have internet! :)

Thank you so much again Tricky! If I run into any further issues I'll let you know :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back