Contribute
Register

Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 work!!! FULL QE/CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tested DVI port and both of them was working also HDMI worked too but not tested the audio!

Hi,

I got my 6870 XFX Dual Fan Black Edition today.

I prepared my system with chimera 1.1, installed ATi gfx drivers extracted from multibeast + OpenGL.framework from the latest MBP update.

I already had graficsenabler = yes in my boot.plist

Just swapped my old 8800GT with the 6870 = Works out of the box! Everything, including steam games and DVD player work fine. I did not even need to specify any framebuffer (like Duckweed). Now I only use DVI, so I dont know if DP or HDMI work.

My only problem is having not native resolution in my boot menu. But thats more of an aesthetic problem really.

Thanks to this forum and all the people that worked hard to make this happen! :D

colorfuel said:
Hi,

I got my 6870 XFX Dual Fan Black Edition today.

I prepared my system with chimera 1.1, installed ATi gfx drivers extracted from multibeast + OpenGL.framework from the latest MBP update.

I already had graficsenabler = yes in my boot.plist

Just swapped my old 8800GT with the 6870 = Works out of the box! Everything, including steam games and DVD player work fine. I did not even need to specify any framebuffer (like Duckweed). Now I only use DVI, so I dont know if DP or HDMI work.

My only problem is having not native resolution in my boot menu. But thats more of an aesthetic problem really.

Thanks to this forum and all the people that worked hard to make this happen! :D

cinebech??

model 6870 XFX Dual Fan Black Edition? dual OC? or normal 900 mHZ?

As I said:

Model: HD-687A-ZDBC

Factory overclocked: 940Mhz core; 1150 Mhz Memory

XFX 6870 Dual Fan Black edition. The one with the two fans. :p

Cinebench Score: 34.99

Xbench (Quartz Graphics; OpenGL; user interface) : 402.69

(Compared to 324.25 on the 8800GT.)

Luxball Ultra (OpenCL Test), 800x600: 27,9 sec

colorfuel said:
bones123 said:
colorfuel said:
The 6870 is about 40% - 90% faster in Games.

so is cinebench limited in how it benches the card vs. real life performance?? Higher score is better in that bench right??

Cinebench in OSX is not a good meter for real gaming performance. If you compare Cinebench results to Windows Cinebench, you get about double the FPS that you get under OSX. EDIT: sorry

The 40%-90% I was talking about are mainly for Gaming in Windows7.

OSX still isnt laid out for gaming (Obviously no Direct 3D support, OpenGL 2.1) so most of the games that exist for OSX (mainly Valve titles, such as Half-Life 2, Portal 2 .. or Call of Duty) still run well enough on the 5770. So if you are not into Gaming under Windows7, the 5770 will be plenty enough, I think.

For Example, I have a 8800GT atm, and its completely able to run any game under OSX that I try. Like Portal 2 f.e. And the 5770 is faster than the 8800GT.

Hope that clears it up a bit. :)

My 5770 benches 40.98fps in OSX and 75.67fps in windows 7.. I'm still not clear on what cinebench is showing me.... is cinebench a valid test or is there something better?? Everyone keeps posting cinebench scores that are lower than my 5770 so there most be more to it than just the score I would think.

Maybe, it's simply because you've got a nicely overclocked and more modern CPU and the Cinebench 11.5 benchmark depends on CPU speed? I really dont know.

I get 59.65 in Windows 7, and 34.99 in OSX, both in Cinebench 11.5 my CPU is fast but it's also aging.

I've benched my 6870 pretty throughly today, and my FPS are on par with what I read in the reviews and online benchmarks about this card.(tested Crysis, Stalker and a few other titles plus Unigine Heaven benchmark). So there is nothing wrong with my card.

Maybe I'll retry tomorrow, just to be sure, there is nothing I overlooked.

Edit: after giving it some thought, it is indeed probable that the cinebench openGL test is heavily CPU dependant. It is very low resolution and does not seem to use many features of modern gfx cards. So I think that may explain the huge differences in our results.

colorfuel said:
Maybe, it's simply because you've got a nicely overclocked and more modern CPU and the Cinebench 11.5 benchmark depends on CPU speed? I really dont know.

I get 59.65 in Windows 7, and 34.99 in OSX, both in Cinebench 11.5 my CPU is fast but it's also aging.

I've benched my 6870 pretty throughly today, and my FPS are on par with what I read in the reviews and online benchmarks about this card.(tested Crysis, Stalker and a few other titles plus Unigine Heaven benchmark). So there is nothing wrong with my card.

Maybe I'll retry tomorrow, just to be sure, there is nothing I overlooked.
hi colofuel
i bought the same card you have, and without oc got the same opengl score you have.
Can you tell me your cpu score?
i think i read somewhere that opengl use much more cpu then directx.
Every high opengl scores i saw posted, always come pair with high cpu scores. Seems like the graphic card have (without making any calculations) 20 or 30 % influence on opengl performance all the rest is pure CPU. I can be wrong but all the evidence i see, show that.
Well, to be honest, is not for playing games that i m using OSX, for that we have to surrender to directx and is inseparable friend... windows :/, maybe the future change that .:D

Here's my cinebench in osx

Attachments

• Screen shot.png
    Screen shot.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 250
freituk said:
hi colofuel
i bought the same card you have, and without oc got the same opengl score you have.
Can you tell me your cpu score?
i think i read somewhere that opengl use much more cpu then directx.
Every high opengl scores i saw posted, always come pair with high cpu scores. Seems like the graphic card have (without making any calculations) 20 or 30 % influence on opengl performance all the rest is pure CPU. I can be wrong but all the evidence i see, show that.
Well, to be honest, is not for playing games that i m using OSX, for that we have to surrender to directx and is inseparable friend... windows :/, maybe the future change that .:D

My CPU score is 4.28

And I repeat, GPU score is 34.99

EDIT: And just to be sure, also benched my card downclocked to 300Mhz (powerplay minimal clock) and it still gives me a GPU score of 41 in Cinebench.

Compared to bones123 results, this shows pretty much what we thought. Cinebench is heavily CPU dependent. Therefore it should not be used to compare gfx-card scores!

@jpa: Every 6870 at the same cores/memory speeds will perform exactly the same. So the "better" card is the one thats more overclocked (although 40Mhz more dont make a noticeable difference. Personally I prefer silence before speed, and the XFX Black Edition ist both silent and fast.

We need to stop using Cinebench 11.5 to compare Gfx cards! Since many people use different processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back