Contribute
Register

Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 work!!! FULL QE/CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
guspase said:
htan86 said:
guspase, nice work
just quick question on your dashboard you have ATI Package installer, is that needed?
and where to get from?

is it included in the New Multibeast 3.6? can any one confirm this?

i just upgrade my card to Radeon HD6970 and waiting for the driver, still run with 1240x800 :problem: :banghead:

Thank you
ATI Package isn't need it in fact it's included in Multibeast 3.5.2 as Nosthy told me!!! And in Multibeast 3.6.0 you can find new iMac ATI kexts (1.6.34.13) as it said in this guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15798&start=0

ATI Package installer from Andy: http://www.mediafire.com/?r52bv1otbovc9ci

Greetings

@htan86 - Please do read around the forums - the 6970 is not supported at the moment. Lots of people have tried with no luck but they are still trying. Right now - you won't have much luck with them

Yes - the iMac ATI kexts are in MultiBeast.

@Notshy (or any other gurus),

Can you please post a definitive step-by-step? I'm confused at what the final steps should be between Guspase's post and your suggested edits. He says Duckweed, others say no? When I go home tonight I'll try it his way, but a definitive answer would be awesome.

I have a brand new Hackintosh build with Asus P7P55D-E LX and Core i7-875K and PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 card which works fine (except Geekbench) with GraphicsEnabler=no, but I get a black screen at the end of the boot process if GE=yes. It's frustrating, and I need finish this and move on to my other build, the EVGA SR-2 with dual Xeon X5680s and dual Sapphire Radeon HD 6870s. (Yes, I expect even more challenges with that build. LOL)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

David

davidahn said:
@Notshy (or any other gurus),

Can you please post a definitive step-by-step? I'm confused at what the final steps should be between Guspase's post and your suggested edits. He says Duckweed, others say no? When I go home tonight I'll try it his way, but a definitive answer would be awesome.

I have a brand new Hackintosh build with Asus P7P55D-E LX and Core i7-875K and PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 card which works fine (except Geekbench) with GraphicsEnabler=no, but I get a black screen at the end of the boot process if GE=yes. It's frustrating, and I need finish this and move on to my other build, the EVGA SR-2 with dual Xeon X5680s and dual Sapphire Radeon HD 6870s. (Yes, I expect even more challenges with that build. LOL)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

David
The PowerColor 6870 should work and yeah the framebuffer should be Duckweed, as it is with most of the 6870's.
Did you do the install with the new MUltibeast and iBoot? and choose ATI and Chimera?
That's all I did to get my card working just fine.

eelhead said:
The PowerColor 6870 should work and yeah the framebuffer should be Duckweed, as it is with most of the 6870's.
Did you do the install with the new MUltibeast and iBoot? and choose ATI and Chimera?

@eelhead, thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I used the newest iBoot 3.0.2 and Multibeast 3.6. I chose Chimera and the ATI driver. I guess I just need to add the Duckweed line. I'll try that tonight!

Thanks again.

David

davidahn said:
eelhead said:

@eelhead, thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I used the newest iBoot 3.0.2 and Multibeast 3.6. I chose Chimera and the ATI driver. I guess I just need to add the Duckweed line. I'll try that tonight!

Thanks again.

David
Your welcome, if you could get your card info Device ID and what not and hit up Notshy's ATI thread. I think he is looking for card info on ones that don't have the framebuffers load automatically.
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=19330

eelhead said:
Your welcome, if you could get your card info Device ID and what not and hit up Notshy's ATI thread. I think he is looking for card info on ones that don't have the framebuffers load automatically.
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=19330

I will do that tonight. I was trying to do it last night, but it wouldn't successfully boot with GE=yes, meaning I couldn't get the info I needed from it.

OK, tried GraphicsEnabler=yes, AtiConfig=Duckweed. I got terrible benchmark results compared to my initial Xbench, so I tried disabling GE, and still the same terrible benchmarks (CPU score went from 220 to 66, thread from 1014 to 341, memory from 374 to 168, Quartz from 326 to 102, etc). So I got rid of my Extensions.mkext and FakeSMC.kext and reinstalled Multibeast. (Back story: I loaded too many kexts after a successful OS X 10.6.3 install and it failed to boot, so I had gotten rid of all kexts except FakeSMC. I think I read that NullCPUPowerManagement has some performance enhancing properties.)

Anyway, once I did a clean Multibeast install, everything is working and my performance is back. The performance is marginally slower than before (I think my RAM went down from 1666 to 1333). But the bottom line is everything is working swimmingly, PowerColor 6870 and all. The interesting thing is that with GE=yes, I get no additional performance, but my desktop switches to the DVI 2 slot as the desktop loads if I start plugged into DVI 1. If I start out plugged into DVI 2, it stays on DVI 2. So I guess I'm going to use the DVI 2 slot. :) Correction: I think that was slot 1 all along, as the HDMI and MDP slots are there too. I think I gave myself a lot of headaches by plugging into the wrong slot this whole time, and did a whole lot of troubleshooting and config changes for nothing.

So hard lesson learned, guys, if anyone seems to be booting fine but gets a black screen, make sure you're plugged into the primary DVI port. :) I'm very impressed with Multibeast indeed.

I'm going to add the PowerColor info to Notshy's database. Peace out, dudes.

I'm so close...but MultiBeast gives me the "Installation Failed" screen any time I try to install the new ATI driver set. Is there any other way to get what I need in my system? I want this card in there! (6870)

FIXED: The User folder (including the Desktop) must be on the same drive as your OS installation in order to do this. This was an example of a problem pretty specific to how I have mine set up.

I have the exact same card and I can't get it to boot with GE=Yes. I don't have another card to swap back and forth with though some mine is the one being used from start to finish. I've heard of a lot of people getting them working through these steps but I've yet to crack the code with my card to get it to work with GE.

brickerz said:
I have the exact same card and I can't get it to boot with GE=Yes. I don't have another card to swap back and forth with though some mine is the one being used from start to finish. I've heard of a lot of people getting them working through these steps but I've yet to crack the code with my card to get it to work with GE.

Are you sure you're using the primary DVI out port? That was my biggest problem. I plugged my monitor into the top DVI port assuming it was the primary output, but the bottom DVI port has all the other ports next to it (HDMI, Mini Displayport) indicating it's actually the primary DVI port. It initially started out using the output I was plugged into, but as it finished booting, it switched to the other port and gave me a black screen. I finally tried plugging into the other port after it seemed to be done booting, an lo and behold, glorious desktop on the other port. Oddly, GE=no allowed it to boot to the desktop on the secondary port. I did not have any problems with Chimera 1.3, Duckweed or not, as long as I used the correct video port.

Also, make sure you're not installing too many kexts right off the bat. I made that mistake, then when I couldn't boot without safe mode, I removed ALL my kexts from the Extensions folder except Fake SMC, and found my overall performance down 70-80% from my initial testing (across the board: CPU, memory, video, etc.). I removed FakeSMC and the Extensions.kext, re-ran Multibeast with OS X Tools (clear cache, etc.) and Chimera and voila, everything's working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back