Contribute
Register

Sandy Bridge and motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
mistermarkd said:
I don't want to build a new system on the old platform because I would like to be able to upgrade the CPU if need be in 2-3 years.

Frequently Apple makes new product announcements after CES, so we might see some good news in the coming week.

It is very hard to predict Apple's strategy.

Apple announced Mac OS X 10.7 to be out by June. Every April they have a new line of Macbooks out. So, assuming, by that time they will release OS X 10.6.7 which will be also a pilot for 10.7 with support of sandy bridge, which will be included in a new Macbook Pro...

That's a theory. However, as we know Apple (totally unpredictable), they might release new line of Macbook Pros with old line of i3-5-7 and even Core2Duo processors, and we will have to weight for native Sandy Bridge support for another year. Until then, OS X on Sandy Bridge will behave the same way as on AMD architecture.

That is why at this point nobody from TonyMacx86 would advice building a OSx86 on Sandy Bridge.

We all familiar with scientific method, so let's try to prove or disprove the theory :)

thelostswede said:
At the moment I wouldn't recommend going Sandy Bridge at all, as it's too unstable to be used as a proper system. I'm simply just reporting my findings here. And until we get it stable, this is not a good route to go down and we don't know as yet what Apple will or won't support.

So it seems that build a stable SB system will take for long... My MBP died a week ago, and I need an OS X system for working now. I have a pc with the following configuration:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0
EVGA 780i Motherboard
OCZ 2Gb DDR2 RAM
Asus 8800 GTX
OCZ 950W PSU

I know that tonymac86's method only works on boards with Intel's chipset, so my 780i board won't work. I was thinking that until making a SB stable system is possible, maybe I can a compatible system changing the 780i. Is there any board in the market with 775 socket and DDR2 that is fully compatible with tonymacx86 method?

P41 systems are adaptable to the old USB flash drive installation method.

Might be usable with a MultiBeast installation method, too, if specifying USER DSDT.

For this purpose, you would have to grab the DSDT using Ubuntu Desktop.

The required edits are not too dissimilar to those specified for EP45 DSDTs.

The 41 series is so old, you may have to retrofit the AMAC stuff from later DSDTs.

The Google Groups HQ-A Forum has several examples of 41-series builds (and also 31-, 35- and 45-series builds, too).

thelostswede said:
Ok, so far we've tested with Asus, Gigabyte and MSI and all boards work, to an extent. Be aware that the patched Kernel isn't exactly as good as Apple's own and both the Asus and MSI board suffered from what I can only call some kind of a glitch where the USB seemed very laggy and locked up the mouse every few seconds. It's potentially that this was an issue with the systems I had, so I can't say for certain what the problem is and we haven't gotten around to compiling a DSDT, but it's possible to extract one on the UEFI boards.

Have you observed any other quirks with the patched kernel? Specifically with the Gigabyte board?

peterhaas said:
P41 systems are adaptable to the old USB flash drive installation method.

Might be usable with a MultiBeast installation method, too, if specifying USER DSDT.

For this purpose, you would have to grab the DSDT using Ubuntu Desktop.

The required edits are not too dissimilar to those specified for EP45 DSDTs.

The 41 series is so old, you may have to retrofit the AMAC stuff from later DSDTs.

The Google Groups HQ-A Forum has several examples of 41-series builds (and also 31-, 35- and 45-series builds, too).

Maybe it's easier if I use a board with P35/P45? I have found this ones, but they are not Gigabyte boards, is there too much difference in terms of compatibility?

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=U ... templete=2

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P45DE3

Both cards use VIA® VT1708S for audio, Atheros® L1E for Ethernet in Asus' one and RTL8111DL on Asrock's.

Over the weekend a lot of SB motherboards showed up on Newegg, along with the CPU's. What I noticed is that most of the lower priced mobo's lack firewire, probably because they have USB 3.0. My only other bit of wisdom is to get something with good power delivery to the CPU so that SB's mighty over clocking potential can be unlocked. Hardware sites are writing about 4.6 ghz using auto voltage settings and nothing more than a multiplier change. That is about 1.35 volts, and a fairly decent 70C with pretty ordinary air cooling. In other words, I don't think the $129 boards will cut it.

Hi Folks,
Wanted to chime in with some info on USB 3.0 and more recent boards. NEC/Renesas chipsets WILL work on OS X using the binhacked LaCie driver (courtesy modbin). I have set up several boards with this chipset and the driver works. It is not the best driver in the world, and it does not work all the time (still picky about some devices or stops working until reboot) but most of the time it works and you get the great USB3 speeds.

Now about the VLI hub built in to many new boards especially many of the higher end sandy bridge gigabyte boards to give them more usb3 ports... this device actually does NOT work. It has some horrendous conflicts with the hacked LaCie driver. It spits out all sorts of junk to the error log and slows the whole system to an unusable state, if not downright freezing it.

I really hope another driver gets released with better compatibility.

As a point of reference the GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 which has the Renesas chip but no VLI hub (thus only 2 usb3 ports) works fine with the driver. In Contrast both the GA-P67A-UD5-B3 and the step up UD7 variant have one or more VLI hubs and these systems cant use the USB3 in OS X.

Let me know if anyone hears of any workaround for this.

thanks,
g\

New Gigabyte mobos can have:

- 0 USB 3.0 like PH67A-UD3

- 2 Usb 3.0 with x1 Nec-renesas D720200 (like UD2H or some others)

- 4 x USB 3.0 w. 2x Nec-Renesas D720200 (2 on the back panel, 2 via the USB brackets connected to the internal USB headers) like P67A-UD3P or P67A-UD4

- 8 USB 3.0 w. 1 x Nec-Renesas D720200 chip and 2 x VLI VL810 hubs - like P67A-UD5

- 10 USB 3.0 w. 2 x Nec-Renesas D720200 chips and 2 x VLI VL810 hubs - like P67A-UD7

So, MoBos with 2 Nec chips are working? or only those with only one Nec chip onboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back