Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K @4.2-4.4GHz
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Ok, so far we've tested with Asus, Gigabyte and MSI and all boards work, to an extent. Be aware that the patched Kernel isn't exactly as good as Apple's own and both the Asus and MSI board suffered from what I can only call some kind of a glitch where the USB seemed very laggy and locked up the mouse every few seconds. It's potentially that this was an issue with the systems I had, so I can't say for certain what the problem is and we haven't gotten around to compiling a DSDT, but it's possible to extract one on the UEFI boards.

Update: One thing I forgot about, the Asus board I was testing would not boot with 8GB of RAM installed, not sure why, but it would just reset as soon as OSX tried to load. Not sure if this is specific to this Asus board or not, but considering this is not a common model and I haven't had any of the regular boards, I really couldn't say.

The UEFI boards still requires a boot loader to be installed and even if you select GPT boot, you won't get into OSX without it. It's possible that the boot loaders can be simplified in the future, but currently this is an unknown factor. Hopefully some of the really good hackers will get their hands on Sandy Bridge hardware soon and can delve deeper into this. Please not that UEFI is not the same as the EFI that Apple uses, although Apple is likely to move to UEFI at some stage in the future.

And no, I haven't bothered testing the integrated graphics, as currently there's no form of support by OSX, so it would just be a waste of my time doing so.

I just want to point out one important thing that I've forgotten to mention so far, USB 3.0. You'll end up seeing a lot of boards with non NEC/Renesas chips on them and it's highly unlikely that these controllers will work with OSX as there are no drivers for them. Boards with VLI USB 3.0 hubs are fine though, as the hubs are transparent to the OS.

Other USB 3.0 host controllers will be on Asus, ECS and ASRock boards so far that I'm aware of and they either use Asmedia (Asus subsidiary) or Etron, although there's also VIA and Fresco Logic out there and presumably also Texas Instruments at some point. Until there's an OS USB 3.0 stack from Apple, this is going to continue to be an issue and to a degree, this is even an issue in Windows.

I just want to point out one important thing that I've forgotten to mention so far, USB 3.0. You'll end up seeing a lot of boards with non NEC/Renesas chips on them and it's highly unlikely that these controllers will work with OSX as there are no drivers for them. Boards with VLI USB 3.0 hubs are fine though, as the hubs are transparent to the OS.

NEC and Renesas chips use the same drivers?

Yoru said:

NEC and Renesas chips use the same drivers?
NEC == Renesas.

Are you saying the NEC/renesas chips do or don't work? The board I am looking at, Asus P8P67-M PRO, has an NEC USB 3 chip and a supported audio chipset.

ok, what mobo do you recommend ?

At the moment I wouldn't recommend going Sandy Bridge at all, as it's too unstable to be used as a proper system. I'm simply just reporting my findings here. And until we get it stable, this is not a good route to go down and we don't know as yet what Apple will or won't support.

I don't want to build a new system on the old platform because I would like to be able to upgrade the CPU if need be in 2-3 years.

Frequently Apple makes new product announcements after CES, so we might see some good news in the coming week.

Where do you go to even buy this stuff? I can't seem to find it. Photography is CPU intensive, and a faster CPU would be nice.

As for Apple, so far the rumors indicate the next Macbook Pro's will use a mobile SB chip and the integrated graphics. Whether those mods to the kernel will allow the use of desktop SP CPU's is anyone's guess. Apple has generally been keen to adopt new Intel technologies, so there is hope.

Hi to all, this is my first post here .. :)

I am working for longer time time with a 775 System (EP35 DS4, Q6600 OC, 10.6 ) performing cinebench 11 of 3.8, so sandy bridge is the first reason to upgrade for years.
Currently I would like to go with ASUS P8P67 PRO + 2600K@~4.8 because it seems to be very attractive and good priced.
Do you think it is possible to get proper USB2, Firewire and basic S-ATA on this board ?
Missing USB3 is no problem for me.
For me its important to get great Cinema 4D Performance, Firewire for my MOTU Audio Setup and Parallels 6 for Win7 to get some special Audio Software.

Does anybody know if parallels desktop 6 working fine on a Sandy (Virtualisation) ?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back