Contribute
Register

Recording Studio 2.0: Core i7 3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5 TH | 32GB | HD4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recording Studio 2.0: Core i7 3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5 TH | 16GB | HD4000

I wish to make people aware of this firewire controller card!

That card got burnt and burned my sound card whilst doing so!
Now I have no sound card and no sound.

I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune with this FW card. While this is no consolation to you, I suspect yours is a rare & isolated incident. There are many many people in the Tonymacx86 forum who are using this card successfully for quite some time - this is the first report of such an issue with this card (of which I'm aware).

please update more pics of this one. Thanks

please update more pics of this one. Thanks

Try the link at the top of the thread to the G5 Case Mod "companion post" --tons of pics over there, including an illustrated pic of the mobo & components inside!!
:thumbup:

BoomR why did you install the eSata 3rd party (kext) in multibeast? Have you tested esata both with and without this installed?

hello we share the exactly the same configuration

what type of external sound-card do you use?

did you managed to work with usb3.0 and thunderbolt?

on my hack the usb 3.0 is very very slow..and thunderbolt is not working.

thanks!

BoomR why did you install the eSata 3rd party (kext) in multibeast? Have you tested esata both with and without this installed?

I did not test eSATA without 3rd party eSATA installed. An earlier post from DBP also queried why I chose both - and was kind enough to explain the function of each kext. Shortly thereafter, I re-imaged my build, then ran MultiBeast. This time I only selected "3rd party SATA." While I didn't seem to have any problems with SATA or eSATA performance with both installed, I chose not to risk any problems further down the road.

I have just now updated my original post, showing the current & working MB settings in the screen shots.
:thumbup:

hello we share the exactly the same configuration

what type of external sound-card do you use?

did you managed to work with usb3.0 and thunderbolt?

on my hack the usb 3.0 is very very slow..and thunderbolt is not working.

thanks!

USB3 not working (or working poorly) is a current/known issue with this mobo/build for many people - please refer to Stork's Thunderbolt Golden Build for more info on this.

As noted in my original post, yes - TB is working for me. I've just made some updates to clarify that point - please review my initial post for more information and a new screen shot.

Just FYI, in the Mac world, we don't use "sound cards" like you would in a PC. We use audio interfaces that connect via USB, Firewire, or break-out boxes that connect to your Mac via PCIe card. For more information on my audio interface (and other studio hardware), please use the link in my signature to the original Recording Studio Rig v1.0. THANKS!

Thanks for the response @BoomR

I recently did a clean install of ML. When I ran Multibeast, I can't remember whether I enabled both the SATA and the eSata Kext or whether it was just the SATA. I really really don't want to do a whole new install since I've put on a whole bunch of applications, customizations, etc.

So... is there anyway I can check to see if I have both enabled? And if so, is there a way to remove the eSata kext without doing a fresh new, from scratch install? And, finally, I think I understand @DBP's exaplnation of what each kext does. But if I don't have the eSata kext, I should still be able to use eSata drives yes? It's just that they will not be hot-swappable and show up as orange drives or??

So... is there anyway I can check to see if I have both enabled?
Go to /System/Library/Extensions/
In my case there's a file AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext
If there's a similar "SATA" kext there, there's your answer.

And if so, is there a way to remove the eSata kext without doing a fresh new, from scratch install?
Just remove the one you don't want, and reboot.
If you removed the wrong one you could always reinstall through MultiBeast, so I wouldn't bother saving it anywhere.
Unlinking (removing) the file should automatically update the modification time on the Extensions folder, so the next reboot should rebuild the kernel cache.

And, finally, I think I understand @DBP's exaplnation of what each kext does. But if I don't have the eSata kext, I should still be able to use eSata drives yes? It's just that they will not be hot-swappable and show up as orange drives or??
This is all about the drives on the Marvell controller (or some PCIe cards) and not the Intel SATA ports.

Yes if you have the SATA kext they'll show up as "internal" drives, if you have the eSATA kext they'll show up as "externals". Without either kext the controllers and thus the drives would not be accessible (drives on your Intel ports would be of course). The thing I didn't know was what would happen if you have both kexts. One would presumably take precedence, but I don't know which.

Does that help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back