Contribute
Register

[Progress] GA-Z97X-UD7 TH / i7 4790K / 32GB / GTX 770 / 10.9.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danny, I would try using the MacPro3,1 SM Bios instead of iMac14,2 - nVidia's CUDA driver + web drivers specify MacPro3,1, 4,1 and 5,1 systems only. That might make a difference.

I would also try this: go into the BIOS once again and set the memory profile to default rather than profile 1. This might reduce memory speed to 1,333mhz or perhaps 1,600mhz, but I found that doing so on a GA-Z97-HD3 mobo stopped the kernel panics while installing OS X.

I would also try using the -x and maxmem boot flags and not the nVidia disable/npci flags to get to the desktop. Once there during the initial boot, install the MultiBeast drivers as I outlined in my previous post, delete the T-bolt MHI kext and install nVidia CUDA drivers + the f03 web drivers. Then reboot without any nVidia flags except possibly the nVidia web driver enable flag, which shouldn't, however, be necessary, since the installation of the f03 nVidia web drivers automatically installs this nVidia option that allows you to choose between nVidia web drivers and native Mac OS ones.

If worse comes to worse, try substituting temporarily an older nVidia GTX 6xx or 7xx video card, which would be natively supported in Yosemite. The newest UniBeast installer, like many preceding it, comes with the GraphicsEnabler=No flag already included, so adding that flag wouldn't be necessary, unless you wanted to substitute a much older video card like the 9500GT(GraphicsEnabler=Yes required), which works natively with most any Mac OS install from Snow Leopard up to Mavericks and Yosemite.

I have put Yosemite in some odd devices, like a Dell XPS 1530, a really old Core2Duo laptop, and although I got some intermittent KPs initially, they seem to disappear as my use continued, as if Yosemite was getting accustomed to its new peculiar and unfamiliar environment. I know that sounds a little weird, but there is something quite different and unusual about Yosemite that I have never seen in previous Mac OS installs, Mavericks and before. Not sure why - I am not an expert - but that is my impression of my limited experience with Yosemite to date.

hey borbo,
thank you very much - your posting gave me the hint that I needed. I was able to install the system correct and could also delete the TB-kext (which wasn´t possible before).

Afterwards I installed my AJA-driver for the AJA-video-I/O-card that I would like to use within the computer. the next time I started the computer the system-boot hang with: pci168c,30 cannot assert wake from D3cold

I could start the system again with -x and deinstalled the driver, but the problem still exist. it doesn´t make any difference if I turned of the TB-I/O within the BIOS or not.

might you have any idea how this could be fixed?

note: I also have a TP-link TL-WDN4800 WIFI-card in the system, which has been working before, I also rejected card, but this couldn´t solve the problem, too.

Danny, I have no idea of how to fix that 'pci168c,30 cannot assert wake from D3cold' problem with your AJA I/O video card. Perhaps running DPCI manager would help clear the trouble out after you removed the AJA drivers/extensions from S/L/E. If the AJA card(or any other) didn't come with Yosemite drivers or specifically drivers for Yosemite 10.10.3, I would be very wary of installing it. Considering how many flavors there are of the nVidia web drivers, this indicates to me that there is a lot of tinkering going on under the hood, so to speak, with those manufacturers, like nVidia, who are trying to make their products work in Yosemite that otherwise would lack native support. I get the feeling that Yosemite is particularly unforgiving when it comes to installing and using unsupported third party hardware - not a very scientific observation, however, just an impression that I have from my limited experience of working with 10.10.3. Sorry not to be more helpful - good luck!

Hey borbo,
thanx again for your information.

as I´m a newbaby on the hackintosh-scene with no programming-experience, so I need to look for all these informations could be given.

mainly I´m working in the professional broadcast (video/audio-postproduction) so I would be happy to use my prof. hardware with the hackintosh.

I´ll see how I can solve the problem and go further - just did a backup of my system on another SSD, so I have one system to play with and another to be productive.

by the way: AJA-drivers are YZ-compatible.

keep you up-to-date...

danny

Hi borbo - here´s my follow-up,
GOTCHA - AJA and also blackmagic devices are working! with PCI and Thunderbolt :)

I forgot that AJA KONA 3G is a 4x lane-product and previously put it into 1x lane slot, so this killed the the regular boot. a friend of mine reminded me that it´s not a 1x lane-device. I switched to the 4x lane-slot - e voilá - working :)

now I got a nice and quick system working

thanx again for your input.

danny

As this is the only thread with that main board :?: I want to report about my very first hackintosh going straight for Yosemite but for now without an extra graphics card. Actually this is right now the only issue: screen stays black during boot, however I can see a running system from my "real" Mac when file sharing is initialised.
Now with this chameleon boot settings the system is now booting fine :lol:

Code:
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>HDAEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
    <string>01000000</string>
    <key>IGPEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>2</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
</dict>

Audio works, just forgot to reinstall drivers with Multibeast after updating to 10.10.3
still to test: thunderbolt. Nothing seems to be installed yet.

Last edited:
This thread has been super helpful! Thanks Stork for the tips on the freezes. I applied all of it. I have one issue that has me baffled. A lot of times when I boot I will get through to the point where log in should show up and it goes grey with a frozen mouse. When I go to try to boot again and do -v it goes right through with no issues. Not really sure how to trouble shoot this. A graphics thing?

I'm wondering if this is related to your black screen apfelwurm

M

it might be a problem with the nvidia-web-driver.

as has been mentioned before do NOT use the f04-web-driver, it will freeze your mouse after a few minutes. use the f03-driver. I got the f03-driver installed without any issue!

it appears nvidia-webdriver are "more" beta than real driver.

danny

drumoman,
composertek does not need the nVidia Web drivers as the GTX 740 card does not use the Maxwell chipset, and, thus, is supported by the native Apple OS X drivers. (IIRC, it's a "rebadged" GTX 640.)

composertek,
Try rebooting with -v UseKernelCache=No. If that doesn't fix the problem, then you will have to use -v all the time...at least until the next Yosemite update. Some systems can't boot properly with the -v, strange as it sounds.

BTW, this thread is devoted to misosoup7's build description with a GTX 770. Please, if you have different graphics cards, etc., than described in misosoup7's build description, open a thread for your problem in Yosemite Desktop Support or Graphics or another appropriate forum section. :thumbup: TIA.

Thank you drumoman and Stork for your responses.
Sorry for the mispost!

Stork,
-v in my boot list seems to be the way to go. Thanks!

Edit: Let the computer sit shutdown for a while and now -v isn't getting me through. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back