Contribute
Register

Problems installing Chimera

Status
Not open for further replies.
foopy said:
It's either hard drive, motherboard, or an issue with chameleon causing a problem.

I'm pretty sure it's because of the sectors being 4k instead of 512bytes on the newer hard drives causing the problem. I haven't tried it but apparently one solution (mentioned above in this thread) is mount it via a external enclosure and install the bootloader and then when you move it back to an internal drive it continues to work. I dunno why this work would but apparently it does...

Can anyone else confirm this? I don't want to void my warranty on my laptop just yet..

wescotte said:
foopy said:
It's either hard drive, motherboard, or an issue with chameleon causing a problem.

I'm pretty sure it's because of the sectors being 4k instead of 512bytes on the newer hard drives causing the problem. I haven't tried it but apparently one solution (mentioned above in this thread) is mount it via a external enclosure and install the bootloader and then when you move it back to an internal drive it continues to work. I dunno why this work would but apparently it does...

Can anyone else confirm this? I don't want to void my warranty on my laptop just yet..

I can confirm it. After seeing that post I removed my system drive and connected it to Hackintosh #1 via eSata dock & USB and installed chameleon. Popped the hard drive back into the Customac #2 and it does boot now from HD. Still getting KP's part of the time when booting but once it boots it seems to be stable.

hi, tried ur method but i cant copy the boot file.
i mean this command cp boot /
i get read-only file system.
sudo isnt recognized at all.

wescotte said:
I can confirm it and am happy as hell doing so!!! Thank you to whoever came up with it! Much easier than what the other poster was suggesting.

:clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

All of the problems I've been able to get drive information about involve drives with 4k sectors, so-called 'Advanced Format' drives like the ST500DM002 mentioned earlier in the thread, the large Western Digital Green drives like the EARS series, and a lot of the current large 2.5" 7200RPM laptop drives made by Western Digital (Scorpio Black) and Seagate (Momentus) at least, but perhaps not limited to drives of 500GB and larger.

Since this seems to occur with Chimera and Chameleon, but the installers for operating systems like Windows and Snow Leopard and Lion appear to install fine, it would appear that the problem is with the Chimera/Chameleon installer- I have some Seagate Momentus drives (see my signature below) and have this problem with my CustoMac Mini installs. The Chimera installer reports that it was installed successfully, but it was not, after multiple re-tries.

As drive sizes get larger, all manufacturers are switching to the Advanced Format with 4k sectors... has anyone with a drive with 4k sectors successfully installed Chimera with MultiBeast?? It seems to me that this problem needs to be addressed in the Chimera installer, because everyone will be having the same problem before long...

I am a noob with Terminal commands in OS X and with Chimera, and still have not installed the boot loader on my installation, still running by booting with unibeast 1.1 thumb drive connected to my lion install. I'm not very clear on the details of the installation- I can't find it installed on my UniBeast install, or I don't know where or what to look for. I've read in other threads that Chimera is not installed to the EFI partition, it is installed to the operating system partition; that it is possible to install Chameleon to the EFI partition; I don't know where to find the i386 binaries or if they're found inside the Chimera installer, how to unpack them, or exactly how to install them to the correct areas... can this only be done with Terminal?

I've been reading for the past week trying to get up to speed on this problem... I've read in a number of other threads that the problem is that the partition is not getting marked as 'active'; not knowing exactly what files I'm supposed to see, or where or how to look for them, I'm not sure if they've actually been installed. I've created a ' ' folder on the EFI, mounted the EFI partition, used Terminal to create a filesystem (newts_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1), created a mount point (mkdir /Volumes/EFI), mounted the EFI partition with 'EFI Mounter' and made the hidden files visible with ShowAllFiles in finder. I ran MultiBeast again from the desktop with only the 'boot loader' option selected, but I don't see anything on the mounted EFI except .DS_Store, .fseventsd folder, .Trashes folder (which contains another .DS_Store and an empty 501 folder.

Like I said before, I'm not even sure I'm supposed to be seeing the Chimera files on the EFI partition, because I've read elsewhere that Chimera is not installed on the EFI... if this is the case, where are the files installed?

Is the problem that the files for Chimera are not getting installed when the hard drive is mounted? Or is this a problem that the partition(s) are not getting marked as 'active' after the files are installed???

Any and all help will be appreciated...

JWK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back