Contribute
Register

OS X 10.11.6 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your instructions in post #2 regarding NVMe don't make sense. It appears you're attempting to apply 10.11.6 patches to the 10.11.5 kext.

It is invalid/wrong to run "./patch_nvme.sh 10_11_6" on 10.11.5. You must be running 10.11.6 to run that command. The script does not check. If you ask it to do nonsense, that's exactly what it will do (GIGO). When/if I have some free time, I should probably add some sanity checking to the script to keep people from doing crazy things.
BINGO! I see what your saying, now. (See me slapping my forehead and saying something appropriate.) If I run the 10.11.6 patch while still in 10.11.5, your patch command is actually mod'ing a 10.11.5 kext, not creating a 10.11.6 kext from scratch. Consequently, I've changed the order of my procedure. The good news is that my old method still worked - this time. Thank you for bearing with me to clarify the use of your NVMe patch utility.

Last edited:
Explain yourself more clearly, advise from stork, it would be more useful in these discussions if you explained the PC hardware used and not the MAC G5 case you have.

What part of my response to Stork did you not understand? And, I should note, my profile shows exactly what Intel hardware I'm using and always has. Here was my original statement: "Smooth sailing to 10.11.6 on my son's PowerMac G5 (i3 3225,B75M-D3H, GT640) using App Store, but for the first time ever for me (B85M-D3H, Xeon, GT 740) the update was a functional failure using either the Combo Update or App Store." How that in any way could have led anyone to think I was running El Capitan on an original PowerMac G5 PPC just completely escapes me. Now I am done.

Last edited:
BINGO! I see what your saying, now. (See me slapping my forehead and saying something appropriate.) If I run the 10.11.6 patch while still in 10.11.5, your patch command is actually mod'ing a 10.11.5 kext, not creating a 10.11.6 kext from scratch. Consequently, I've changed the order of my procedure. The good news is that my old method still worked - this time. Thank you for bearing with me to clarify the use of your NVMe patch utility.

Ok, so from what i have read. doing it the wrong way worked, this time by modding the 10.11.5 into a 10.11.6 version. Is there any reason to change the kext if it is working? If so, how would i change it seeing as i don't have a an untouched kext to work with?

Ok, so from what i have read. doing it the wrong way worked, this time by modding the 10.11.5 into a 10.11.6 version. Is there any reason to change the kext if it is working? If so, how would i change it seeing as i don't have a an untouched kext to work with?

Stork got lucky that the 10.11.6 patches are "compatible enough" with the 10.11.5 kext. Result is a patched 10.11.5 kext installed in 10.11.6.

I see a lot of unnecessary risk there.

Ok, so from what i have read. doing it the wrong way worked, this time by modding the 10.11.5 into a 10.11.6 version. Is there any reason to change the kext if it is working?...
Yes, if nothing else to know you've modified the 10.11.6 kext, not a 10.11.5 kext. I just updated my Gene build to make sure I modified the 10.11.6 kext. However, Rehabman is correct. I've been booting using the "old" patched kext for several days w/o a problem.

...If so, how would i change it seeing as i don't have a an untouched kext to work with?
If you're running 10.11.6, you have an "untouched" kext that can be modified. Just follow my steps in Post #2 - they haven't changed, just when you run the patch-nvme script. I mounted the EFI partition, opened the /EFI/.../CLOVER/kext/10.11/ folder, removed the current HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext to the trash, and run the patch_nvme script again. Put the newly created HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext into the .../CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ folder and reboot.

Stork got lucky that the 10.11.6 patches are "compatible enough" with the 10.11.5 kext. Result is a patched 10.11.5 kext installed in 10.11.6.

I see a lot of unnecessary risk there.

I did it the same way Stork did. So i guess my question is. Should i just leave it this way since it is working or fix it? Not sure how i would fix it?

Yes, if nothing else to know you've modified the 10.11.6 kext, not a 10.11.5 kext. I just updated my Gene build to make sure I modified the 10.11.6 kext. However, Rehabman is correct. I've been booting using the "old" patched kext for several days w/o a problem.

If you're running 10.11.6, you have an "untouched" kext that can be modified. Just follow my steps in Post #2 - they haven't changed, just when you run the patch-nvme script. I mounted the EFI partition, opened the /EFI/.../CLOVER/kext/10.11/ folder, removed the current HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext to the trash, and run the patch_nvme script again. Put the newly created HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext into the .../CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ folder and reboot.

Perfect! That's nice and easy!

Updated my GA-B150M-DS3H w/GTX750Ti & sys def 17,1 from 10.11.5 to 10.11.6 using app store.

The Pike R. Alpha Black Screen config patch no longer worked so thanks to Shilohh’s Applescript AGDPfix.v1.3.app the blackscreen issue was resolved again.

All else running fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back