Contribute
Register

OS X 10.11.6 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confused by your above statement. I don't see how you can boot from the NVMe drive after updating to 10.11.6 without first creating both the 10_11_6.kext and replacing the 10_11_5.kext in the /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ folder as I outlined in Post #2 in this thread unless the 10_11_5.kext works with 10.11.6.

The 10.11.5 kext works on 10.11.6. You can create the 10.11.6 patched kext at your leisure after upgrading the system.

The 10.11.5 kext works on 10.11.6. You can create the 10.11.6 patched kext at your leisure after upgrading the system.
Ah, that was not clear, so it seemed appropriate to create it before running the update. Thank you for that information.

Ah, that was not clear, so it seemed appropriate to create it before running the update. Thank you for that information.

You could also create it before the update, but:
- would need to create it on a computer that is already updated to 10.11.6
- would not be able to use it on the target computer until it was updated to 10.11.6, since I'm not certain the 10.11.6 kext works on 10.11.5

I think it is better to run the 10.11.5 kext and update to the 10.11.6 kext after the update.
Obviously, if the 10.11.5 kext did not work on 10.11.6, other procedures would be needed.

In this thread, you're updating from 10.11.5 to 10.11.6. So, you have a computer already running 10.11.5 with either NVMeGeneric.kext or HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_5.kext. Since your going to update from 10.11.5 to 10.11.6, you should logically create the HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext, replace the other NVMe kext with the one for 10.11.6, and (not rebooting yet) run the update. The update will reboot to finish and you will have HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext running already. I did that way without any problem. Additionally, I wanted to set a procedure order precedent for the next update for those of us that will probably update from 10.11.6 to 10.12.

Anywho, the good news is that you can update to 10.11.6 from .5 using the HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_5.kext.

using combo update, and run audio_realtekALC-110_v1.0o1.command to patch ALC1150... and I got strange font on device name but the sound working properly.

Asrock Z97 Extreme4
Xeon 1220 V3
32GB Ram
MSI GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB
INTEL SSDSC2BW240A4 system drive

Attachments

• Screen Shot.jpg
    Screen Shot.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 172
In this thread, you're updating from 10.11.5 to 10.11.6. So, you have a computer already running 10.11.5 with either NVMeGeneric.kext or HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_5.kext. Since your going to update from 10.11.5 to 10.11.6, you should logically create the HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext, replace the other NVMe kext with the one for 10.11.6, and (not rebooting yet) run the update. The update will reboot to finish and you will have HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext running already. I did that way without any problem. Additionally, I wanted to set a procedure order precedent for the next update for those of us that will probably update from 10.11.6 to 10.12.

Anywho, the good news is that you can update to 10.11.6 from .5 using the HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_5.kext.

Stork. I just updated this way without incident and it went perfect, thanks. It is good to know that you can use an old (HackrNVMeFamily) kext after an O/S update and then update the HackrNVMeFamily.kext after. So both ways will work so no need to worry.!

Keep in mind you need two computers (one NOT using NVMe, or a genuine Mac) in order to do that procedure.

Last edited:
Keep in mind you need two computers (one NOT using NVMe) in order to do that procedure.
Agree...if you're doing an initial installation, not if you're updating as we're doing in this thread.

Matter of fact, when you create the UniBeast installation USB thumb drive, you need either the NVMeGeneric.kext or the appropriate OS X version of the HackrNVMeFamily.kext in the thumb drive's EFI/.../CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ folder before installing on a M.2 NVMe SSD. This does require a running Hack or Mac as per the UniBeast OS X installation guide.

So, to bring this discussion to a close, your instructions are appropriate for creating an initial installation while my instructions are appropriate for those updating from 10.11.5 to 10.11.6 on their M.2 NVMe SSD per the subject of this thread and the result of my update on my Gene build with a Samsung 950 M.2 NVMe SSD.

Agree...if you're doing an initial installation, not if you're updating as we're doing in this thread.

Matter of fact, when you create the UniBeast installation USB thumb drive, you need either the NVMeGeneric.kext or the appropriate OS X version of the HackrNVMeFamily.kext in the thumb drive's EFI/.../CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ folder before installing on a M.2 NVMe SSD. This does require a running Hack or Mac as per the UniBeast OS X installation guide.

So, to bring this discussion to a close, your instructions are appropriate for creating an initial installation while my instructions are appropriate for those updating from 10.11.5 to 10.11.6 on their M.2 NVMe SSD per the subject of this thread and the result of my update on my Gene build with a Samsung 950 M.2 NVMe SSD.

Your instructions in post #2 regarding NVMe don't make sense. It appears you're attempting to apply 10.11.6 patches to the 10.11.5 kext.

It is invalid/wrong to run "./patch_nvme.sh 10_11_6" on 10.11.5. You must be running 10.11.6 to run that command. The script does not check. If you ask it to do nonsense, that's exactly what it will do (GIGO). When/if I have some free time, I should probably add some sanity checking to the script to keep people from doing crazy things.

I will bow to your gentle request in the future. :) And I would agree with you if this were the MacRumors Forum, but the whole point of this website is that it's all about OS X on the PC platform. Okay, I'm done. :)
I will bow to your gentle request in the future. :) And I would agree with you if this were the MacRumors Forum, but the whole point of this website is that it's all about OS X on the PC platform. Okay, I'm done. :)
Explain yourself more clearly, advise from stork, it would be more useful in these discussions if you explained the PC hardware used and not the MAC G5 case you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back