Contribute
Register

My experience with Gigabyte's beta UEFI on Z68 and how to flash back to BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: My experience with Gigabyte's beta UEFI on Z68 and how to flash back to BIOS

You can get speedstep to work when OC'ing. You just have to set one of the cores to a different clock.

IE: 47, 46, 46, 46 or 46, 46, 46, 45
Which SMBios should I use in order to get speedstep work?

You are a genius. I have been trying to flash back my bios for some time now and this is the only way I have been able to do it. Thank you so much for putting this guide up.

where is the file attached ? it's driving me crazy

Article: My experience with Gigabyte's beta UEFI on Z68 and how to flash back to BIOS

I have the same board, am on u1h, and speed step is working for me, according to the forum anyway.
Strange.

Oh well, good to know you can always go back.
I tried the same with that utility ..it went back to F12 but after a while the UEFI BIOS popped out totally corrupt just by itself so I re-flashed the bios in UEFI again and now all INTEL SATA ports are out not way to recognize any device at all no HD no optical nothing... one of my drives connected to Marvel the only ports working after a while start malfunctioning...fixed the drive with HD regenerator lots of bad sectors ... so I think Gigabyte did a mess with this new BIOS and is no way to get back to F12 I tried different times it works for a while in F12 but switch automatically to UEFI after restarting several times by itself. Do not try to switch to F12 from UEFI because u're going to screw up your MB as I did ML 10.8.2 now running from external Drive in e-SATA... there no way for me to make it recognize any HD /optical in SATA internal connection in Windows or Mac doesn't matter
so be careful
1- DO NOT UPGRADE TO UEFI BIOS they are crap
2- IF U UPGRADED DO NOT TRY TO GO BACK TO THE OLD F12 OR ANY OTHER VERSION IT WON'T WORK AND WILL CORRUPT YOUR BIOS AND SCREW UP YOUR MB
Specs:
Z68X-UD3H-B3
24 GB MEMORY
ATI RADEON 5670 1GB
ML 10.8.2
Everything else works fine
My computer boot in ML, sleeps and wake from external e-SATA.

now I have no choice but to wait if ever Gigabyte will release a new not beta version of UEFI hopefully will work...

You are a genius. I have been trying to flash back my bios for some time now and this is the only way I have been able to do it. Thank you so much for putting this guide up.

i dosen't worked for me I'm surprised how it is working for you... it screwed up my Intel SATA controllers no HD is anymore recognizable in Internal INTEL SATA PORTS... (what is strange is that it flashed back by itself in UEFI .. and corrupted all the HD I had connected to these ports) don't know what to do at this point...just waiting for Gigabyte to release a new version of UEFI hopping it will work

Speed check is very easy as long as you are not too serious about it. First, CPU heat in a stress test. If it goes up after Bios and/or Mbeast changes the CPU is running harder. That is your first clue.

I just use Cinebench. It has a couple of bench mark tests - match the i5 or i7 sample results means you have no altered pstates. If you do not match the i5 or i7 speed, then you have no pstates - and a slow computer. Exceed the i5 or i7 examples then you are over-clocked by the amount in the SSDT and machine config u are using.

Then get a copy of Handbrake and convert some movies to MP4. That will show you 1) how hot you get and 2) how many frames per second you are running. There are references to frames per second and CPU cores and speed on the web in Handbrake tests.

These are all relative measures, which is good enough. Get back to work!

This didn't work, sorry

THE SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE PATH SPECIFIED

CMD doesn't acknowledge anything, and I've tried extracting many ways since the folders aren't specified.

thanks anyways

View attachment 115939

A few months ago, Gigabyte released several UEFI updates for it's line of 6-series based Z68 and P67 motherboards. There are some slight differences, such as only having the 2D-based interface, rather than also having the option of a 3D clickable interface of the newer 7-series motherboards. We soon found out that like their newer brethren, these new UEFIs offered DSDT-free solutions for running OS X. However, there are a few drawbacks, so I eventually flashed my Z68 motherboard to the Award BIOS.

I decided to test a beta version U1h (UEFI BIOS) for my Z68X-UD3H-B3 ver. 1.0 motherboard, released to the public on 21st of June, to see how my system would perform. One difference between what Gigabyte refers to as its "Hybrid EFI BIOS" (a modified traditional BIOS which offers support for 3TB+ SATA drives etc) and UEFI was that audio in System Profiler showed up as "built-in". I also noticed a decrease in boot time with my SSD, related to the UEFI having native AHCI support whereas the BIOS doesn't and as such requires a third party boot ROM for AHCI.

One drawback was that speedstep no longer worked correctly for some reason, with or without a SSDT since I'm running an i5-2500K CPU. I didn't have any steps between the low and high power states; it was either 16x or 34x. My system was updated to UEFI in June, but a few days ago I decided that I wanted to switch back to the Award BIOS for the time being, as in the end, the UEFI on this motherboard wasn't cutting it with the beta version.

Luckily, I found a short video over at TweakTown showing in simple steps how to flash back to BIOS; it confirmed that flashing back from UEFI to Award BIOS was possible. Flashing back to BIOS was as simple as flashing to UEFI.

How to flash back to Award BIOS from AMI UEFI on 6-Series Motherboards:

1. You'll need to have a partition or hard drive currently running a 64-bit version of Windows.
  2. Once you've confirmed that you do have one running, you'll need to go to your UAC (User Account Control) settings, lower it to the lowest setting, and restart.
  3. Once you boot to desktop, download "BACK_2_AWARD" which is attached to this article.
  4. Create a folder on the root of your Windows C: drive called "Win64".
  5. Extract the contents of the zip that you downloaded to the "Win64" folder that you just created.
  6. Download the Award BIOS update that you want to flash back to from Gigabyte, I used version F12 for my Z68X-UDH3-B3 motherboard.
  7. The bios update is in a compressed file format and will show amb_bios_ga-z68x-ud3h-b3_f12. Double-click on it and extract it to the "Win64" folder that you created. Rename the extracted bios file from "Z68X-UDH3-B3-F12" to "z68.rom". Once you have put all of the files in to the Win64 folder, it should look like this:
  8. View attachment 115940
  9. Open a command prompt (Start, run, CMD) and type in cd.. two times. That should take you to the root directory on your C: drive.
  10. Enter the following command and hit enter - cd Win64. It will then point you to the Win64 directory. You should see C:\Win64>
  11. Next, type in fptw64 -f Z68.rom and hit enter. It should look like this: C:\Win64>fptw64 -f Z68.rom

At this point, you should see the Intel Flash Programming Tool work its magic. This is what it should look like as it processes the flash back.

View attachment 115941

Restart your computer and you should see the old BIOS splash screen. You'll need to enter the BIOS and set the IDE mode back to AHCI and HPET back to 64-bit, as any customization would have been reset. Keep in mind this is only for the 6-series Gigabyte motherboards. It appears that 5-series motherboards won't get this type of BIOS update as they are considered legacy hardware at this point.

In closing, I want to be clear that I'm not saying that updating to the UEFI doesn't work, as there are a lot of users stating that they are happy with the update. In my case, I wasn't as lucky. It could be the way that I have my system set up but I was experiencing too many little inconveniences which convinced me to switch back for the time being. Hopefully the non-beta UEFI release fairs a little better.

Related:
How to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte's 6-series
How to make your "BIOS" based system shut down properly

Thanks so much for posting this. Foolishly I updated my Z68 bios and just got lots of crashes. Going back is not easy, but this way does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back