Contribute
Register

MSI H81I/Pentium G3258/PNY Geforce GT 430/10.8.5 *NO DSDT!* Fully working! everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Stork
I looked at the recommended buyer's list for a couple of days before.

But it's really easy to get frustrated, because I don't know which VGA card can work with my MSi motherboard.
I just saw the Gigabyte motherboard are recommended.
Then Apple haven't support the 9 series Intel chipset.

With 2 reasons above, I decided to wait (and saving money). Until I found this thread.

@newhacker1746
I prefer the GeForce.
I think I will get the MSI GTX 650 Ti as you recommended.
I'm now using Corsair VS 450. It support 4-pin and 6-pin for PCI-E.
After I install my hack, I will report my problems and ask you guys for solutions. Because I think it will not work at the first try
:mrgreen:

My full part:
CPU: Intel Pentium G3420
Mainboard: MSi H97 Gaming 3
Case: Mid tower Ares G1
Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB - 1600Mhz
PSU: Corsair VS 450
HDD: Samsung 320GB - 16MB Cache - 7200rpm

It's pretty weak, compares to the Golden built or User built (always with Gigabyte Mobo and Core i7 4790K). Can I using XCode on my system? Will it run smoothly. If not, which should I have to buy?

Finally, I want to say thank you for you both. For supporting a newbie like me. Great work! Keep it up.

@Stork
I looked at the recommended buyer's list for a couple of days before.

But it's really easy to get frustrated, because I don't know which VGA card can work with my MSi motherboard.
I just saw the Gigabyte motherboard are recommended.
Then Apple haven't support the 9 series Intel chipset.

With 2 reasons above, I decided to wait (and saving money). Until I found this thread.
You can wait which will bring lower prices, and there are newer models graphics cards coming out this Fall. However, your reasoning is not quite correct. Graphics card support is 1% hardware (motherboard / graphics card compatibility) and 99% operating system compatibility. (This might be an exaggeration, but it's close.) Any one of the graphics cards in recommend in the Buyer's Guide will work OOB with Mavericks. The single slot 740 graphics card's advantage is that it doesn't require the 6-pin PCIe power connection. However, the 650 Ti will require the 6-pin power connection; the 650 Ti probably needs a 500 watt PSU, too. So, do your homework (research) before making your decision. :thumbup:

The Gigabyte motherboards have traditionally been easily to adopt to Apple's OS X. However, you are correct that the 9-series motherboards are for early adopters only, IMO. Most early adopters are finding that the installation of Mavericks is less "painful" when using a graphics card than using the on-board graphics capability (see my H/Z97N installation guide - link in signature block). So, if you're not in a hurry, sit back and watch the state-of-the-art develop.

newhacker1746, thank you for reporting, hard to find threads on the G3258 which I am considering as a stopgap until the Broadwell K-series. The i3 4150 is a better stopgap for less glitchy gaming and could later form the part of a subsequent backup build, using the HD4600 graphics. I am finding this a hard call to make. Saving money = good, as long as time spent troubleshooting isn't too long because time is precious. Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97 gaming 5 or Gigabyte Z97MX gaming 5, as the ASUS boards that appealed lack SATA Express, future proofing wise. Money saved on the CPU goes toward a silent PSU, silent up to 40% load. I want to overclock the G3258, tribooting with Ubuntu and Windows 8.1 for games.

With regard to perhaps opting for the i3 4150 instead, my question is, since your original post, have you encountered any stability issues with the G3258 with any applications, or is all still running well? Thanks! I enjoyed reading your about your build. :)

It has been absolutely rock stable (After a UEFI update, I forgot to mention, that my cpu was actually never supported until a week ago, which update enabled me to overclock the chip, and allow my 1866 mhz ram to run full speed from the memory controller over clock, and the CPU is bumped from 3.2GHZ to now 3.7GHZ, and you can go further, but I used the stock cooler.) Can run everything, nothing failed yet. And my system scored in GEEKBENCH 2 the equivalent of a 2011-era Sandy Bridge i7 iMac, which is fast, even in today's standards. And, I'm Sorry to say, the G3258 has no Hyper-Threading support (Where a dual core cpu has 4 threads instead of 2)But it features 24 or 16 PCI-e lanes, meaning that in 3-4 years when the GTX Titan Z is old, you can stick one in there and squeeze couple more years out of it. Oh and by that time in the 2017 Mac Pro Apple will have stuck a titan z so you will have full acceleration.

Thank you for thoughts. In many ways I would prefer the easier path of an i3 4150/4160 which at least would mean I wouldn't be stuck, until upgrading the CPU at a later date, with being limited to using Mountain Lion. But the money saved can be put in the Broadwell savings jar, with fingers crossed that said as-yet unsupported CPU will, at some point, work. Haswell-E is another thing I didn't expect to be distracted by. I will hold off a few weeks more.

hi
sorry for my question
but i tried tu install mavericks 10.9 "bootloader chimera"
with my intel g3258 and gigabyte z87x-ud3h
test with intel integrated graphics or nvidia 6600
same result

i have xcpm registered a the last line of installer

thx by advance

Reason it does not work is because Intel Core is probably a different stepping or modified high-performance core. I have not tried 10.9 with it's XCPM-free kernel, or with 10.8.5
's kernel. I am stuck at XCPM-Registered as well with mavericks but in the following week I will report back with Mavericks Golden Master.

I have uploaded a video showing my cube hackintosh booting, with a non- stretched apple boot screen. It is not stretched on a widescreen monitor thanks to nvidia debs that included ONE widescreen VESA resolution: 1280x800. So I edit org.chameleon.boot.plist in /Extra and wham! I got a 16:9 boot screen unstretched and high quality, even though my display's native resolution is 1920x1080. Don't be fooled, but it's running 10.8.5, just background changed to Mavericks to make it resemble said version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back