Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion: Customizing the Optimized AppleHDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
8. SPDIF Optical Output/Encoded Digital Audio - Not available for 892 or 898

Toleda,

Is this still relevant? Could you please explain why?

Thank you very much!

Is this still relevant? Could you please explain why?
Yes, the statement is current and valid. Go ahead, give a try. The result, no audio devices; complete audio failure. The only native Realtek codec is the ALC885. The 892 and 898 are different from the 885 and don't work. The other supported Realtek codecs are similar enough to work.

I'm hearing the latest VLC supports DD/DTS passthrough over SPDIF making the patch unnecessary for the only case it was needed (not verified).

I'm hearing the latest VLC supports DD/DTS passthrough over SPDIF making the patch unnecessary for the only case it was needed (not verified).
Thank you for reply. I will try this.

Yes, the statement is current and valid. Go ahead, give a try. The result, no audio devices; complete audio failure. The only native Realtek codec is the ALC885. The 892 and 898 are different from the 885 and don't work. The other supported Realtek codecs are similar enough to work.

Hi, it works on my system!I have asrock z68 pro3 with alc892 .I`ve extracted AppleHDA.kext from MultiBeast with Pacifist and replaced AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA with not patched one ,next I`ve patched AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA
perl -pi -e 's|\x84\x19\xd4\x11|\x80\x08\xec\x10|g'
perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x92\x08\xec\x10|g'
Set layout-id 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 in dsdt.aml and installed AppleHDA.kext.
Now I can enjoy surround sound via SPDIF Optical Output with VLC and MPlayerX.Thank you!
Edit:This bin patch also work in Lion

Hi, it works on my system!I have asrock z68 pro3 with alc892 .I`ve extracted AppleHDA.kext from MultiBeast with Pacifist and replaced AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA with not patched one ,next I`ve patched AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA
perl -pi -e 's|\x84\x19\xd4\x11|\x80\x08\xec\x10|g'
perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x92\x08\xec\x10|g'
Set layout-id 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 in dsdt.aml and installed AppleHDA.kext.
Now I can enjoy surround sound via SPDIF Optical Output with VLC and MPlayerX.Thank you!
Edit:This bin patch also work in Lion
Thanks for the info. Interestingly, both MPlayerX and VLC now have SPDIF/Encoded Digital Audio Passthrough selections in Preferences making the patch unnecessary for those players.

I have ALC887, I can't get Encoded Digital Audio. I tried to follow the step 8 for that, it says to use the "885_Lion_AppleHDA" edited kext file but then I lost all my audio.

So I tried with my default .kext (from multibeast) + step 7. Substitute SPDIF-2 Wire Output.
But it stay the same. No Encoded Digital Audio going out. And I'm sure that my source is 5.1 when I play it.

I have ALC887, I can't get Encoded Digital Audio. I tried to follow the step 8 for that, it says to use the "885_Lion_AppleHDA" edited kext file but then I lost all my audio.
The Mountain Lion Customization guide does not say "use the "885_Lion_AppleHDA" edited kext" (The Lion Customization Guide does). Download Customizing the ML Optimized AppleHDA.kext_v0.4 from Post 1 of this thread. Run MultiBeast to install a fresh AppleHDA.kext . Use that AppleHDA for the edits.

So I started from scratch with this correct guide but still no encoded digital out. :crazy:
Not in VLC or MplayerX or Quicktime...
In VLC/Preferences/Audio and MplyerX/Preferences/Audio, set Passthrough. The AppleHDA.kext is edited correctly. How are you checking for encoded digital audio?

In VLC it's checked correctly, in MPlayer if I check "Passthrough" : DTS & AC3, I have weird continuous sound (TV static: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E-MtJBAZvw&noredirect=1). So I only check "detect spdif auto." but still...

On my external controller I should have the light "Decode" on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back