Contribute
Register

Minihack’s Build: Haswell i5-4250U NUC BOXD54250WYKH1 - 8GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Thanks for this guide.

However, I am a little bit at a loss with my own build, which seems to be a little bit more complicated than what Minihack exposed.

My hardware is the following :
Intel Haswell NUC D54250WYKH i5 4250U HD 5000

Intel Visual BIOS version 0025
SSD : Crucial mSATA m500 120GB

HDD : WD SATA III 750GB 2.5"
RAM : 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3L
Screen : Iiyama Prolite 1920x1200 connected thru MiniDisplay port

I got 2 partitions on the SSD (disk0) and 4 partitions on the HDD (disk1) exposed on this minimap :

Code:
[SIZE=1]$ diskutil list[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]/dev/disk0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   2:                  Apple_HFS SYSTEMUNIB              85.0 GB    disk0s2        MacOSX 10.9.2 installed thru Unibeast[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   3:       Microsoft Basic Data                         34.7 GB    disk0s3              Empty, formatted NTFS[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]/dev/disk1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   2:                  Apple_HFS SYSTEMCLOV              99.5 GB    disk1s2       MacOSX 10.9.3 installed with Clover[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   3:                  Apple_HFS Reserve                 100.1 GB   disk1s3           MacOSX 10.9.3 installed thru Unibeast[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   4:                  Apple_HFS WDinternal              450.0 GB   disk1s4         Data[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   5:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN7N                   99.4 GB    disk1s5        Empty, Formatted Fat32
[/SIZE]

I tried to install Windows 7 with an ISO file on a UEFI USB stick, to no avail.
- Tried it on disk0s3 (NTFS) or disk1s5 (Fat32) : failure
- Tried to boot on the USB stick thru Clover : failure
- Tried to boot directly from the USB stick : failure with UEFI boot
- Same but with legacy boot : the Install stick begins to boot but rejects any installation on either disk0s3 or disk1s5.

Indeed, I do not want to redo the previous MacOSX installs.

What did I do wrong ? Which reicepe should I follow ? Or, which other Tonymacx86 Build guide is the most appropriate to my use case ?

Thanks in advance for any hint/help, Regards, G.

BTW : How to display the MacOSX recovery partition with diskutil and/or Disk Utility, please ?

Hi,

Thanks for this guide.

However, I am a little bit at a loss with my own build, which seems to be a little bit more complicated than what Minihack exposed.

My hardware is the following :
Intel Haswell NUC D54250WYKH i5 4250U HD 5000

Intel Visual BIOS version 0025
SSD : Crucial mSATA m500 120GB

HDD : WD SATA III 750GB 2.5"
RAM : 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3L
Screen : Iiyama Prolite 1920x1200 connected thru MiniDisplay port

I got 2 partitions on the SSD (disk0) and 4 partitions on the HDD (disk1) exposed on this minimap :

Code:
[SIZE=1]$ diskutil list[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]/dev/disk0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   2:                  Apple_HFS SYSTEMUNIB              85.0 GB    disk0s2        MacOSX 10.9.2 installed thru Unibeast[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   3:       Microsoft Basic Data                         34.7 GB    disk0s3              Empty, formatted NTFS[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]/dev/disk1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   2:                  Apple_HFS SYSTEMCLOV              99.5 GB    disk1s2       MacOSX 10.9.3 installed with Clover[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   3:                  Apple_HFS Reserve                 100.1 GB   disk1s3           MacOSX 10.9.3 installed thru Unibeast[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   4:                  Apple_HFS WDinternal              450.0 GB   disk1s4         Data[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]   5:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN7N                   99.4 GB    disk1s5        Empty, Formatted Fat32
[/SIZE]

I tried to install Windows 7 with an ISO file on a UEFI USB stick, to no avail.
- Tried it on disk0s3 (NTFS) or disk1s5 (Fat32) : failure
- Tried to boot on the USB stick thru Clover : failure
- Tried to boot directly from the USB stick : failure with UEFI boot
- Same but with legacy boot : the Install stick begins to boot but rejects any installation on either disk0s3 or disk1s5.

Indeed, I do not want to redo the previous MacOSX installs.

What did I do wrong ? Which reicepe should I follow ? Or, which other Tonymacx86 Build guide is the most appropriate to my use case ?

Thanks in advance for any hint/help, Regards, G.

BTW : How to display the MacOSX recovery partition with diskutil and/or Disk Utility, please ?

Hi,
Well the hardware you have is basically the same, but obviously you have a lot more partitions!
So to sum up, what you have at the moment is:
1. SSD (mSATA) - 120GB for which you have an EFI partition, then 85GB of Mavericks, and then a windows NTFS partition of 34.7GB
2. Hard Disk - 750GB for which you have EFI then a 99.5GB 10.9.3 installation, then a 100GB 10.9.3 installation, then 450GB Data (formatted Hfs), then 99GB of FAT32 formatted area.

First thing to note is that you should keep the disks pure GUID partition and not have FAT32 if you are wanting to boot OS X with UEFI and Windows on the same disk. So that Hard drive will most likely need to be re-formatted to clear up what is going on there.

I highly recommend you read this as it is a great summary of setting up a multi-boot single disk set up using OS X windows and Clover. It recommends using a Linux distro (gParted) to do the formatting for Win7, and although that does work (I have also done it that way!) I found it easier, as mentioned in my build log, to leave the area where I wanted Windows to be installed simply as free space when doing the initial set up in Disk Utility and then to afterwards let the Windows installer do the formatting for your Windows partition as NTFS. Also note what I said about having to remove/disconnect the mSATA drive when you do an install of windows to the hard drive, because otherwise the install will fail.

(Note: DO NOT try to use Disk Utility to format your Windows partition as it will ruin the pure GUID scheme that you need.)

I am really happy to help you, but I am not sure exactly what you want to have as your finished result. For instance, do you want a Fusion Drive set up as mentioned in the second part of my post or do you want a more simple set up with, for example Mavericks on the SSD and Windows on the whole (or part) of the HD.

Let me know and I'll try to talk you through exactly what you need to do.

Oh, i forgot to mention, I set out the install procedure the way I did in the first post for a very good reason - the normally recommended way of installing using Clover (i.e. to use the terminal commands to make a USB installer and then install Clover on it) does NOT work - i.e. it refused to boot. However, the trick of making a Unibeast install stick and THEN installing the Clover boot loader onto the Unibeast Install stick works a treat, first time, every time.

To be honest, I still do not know why the usual regular Clover installation method (e.g. this one) does not work on this board, but believe me I have now done this (many, many times) and so I know what worked for me and what did not!!! My guide is there to save you the time and frustration I had in getting it all to work.

Hi,

First, let me thank you to take time to help me.
Hi,
Well the hardware you have is basically the same, but obviously you have a lot more partitions!
So to sum up, what you have at the moment is:
1. SSD (mSATA) - 120GB for which you have an EFI partition, then 85GB of Mavericks, and then a windows NTFS partition of 34.7GB
2. Hard Disk - 750GB for which you have EFI then a 99.5GB 10.9.3 installation, then a 100GB 10.9.3 installation, then 450GB Data (formatted Hfs), then 99GB of FAT32 formatted area.
Yep, that's it. Please notice that any recovery "Recovery HD" is gone, and that I don't know why.
First thing to note is that you should keep the disks pure GUID partition and not have FAT32 if you are wanting to boot OS X with UEFI and Windows on the same disk. So that Hard drive will most likely need to be re-formatted to clear up what is going on there.
I formatted WIN7N (disk1s5) with diskutil instead, with no troubles.
Do you really mean reformatting all partitions on HDD (disk1) or only WIN7 one or may be merging disk1s4 & s5 partitions ?
I highly recommend you read this as it is a great summary of setting up a multi-boot single disk set up using OS X windows and Clover. It recommends using a Linux distro (gParted) to do the formatting for Win7,
I'll try to do it that way: it seems elegant to me :)
(Note: DO NOT try to use Disk Utility to format your Windows partition as it will ruin the pure GUID scheme that you need.)
Is diskutil command line tool safer or not ? I thought disk utility was using diskutil under the hood ;)
I am really happy to help you, but I am not sure exactly what you want to have as your finished result.
Thanks a lot. I hope the setup I investigate will also help someone else.
For instance, do you want a Fusion Drive set up as mentioned in the second part of my post or do you want a more simple set up with, for example Mavericks on the SSD and Windows on the whole (or part) of the HD.
No, I don't want to go for a Fusion Drive, although it could be a good move.
For the time being, I'll stick to the SSD being the production stuff, with only one OS on it (10.9.2),
while the HDD will be home for several test partitions (OSX, WIN, Linux). I believe that diversity is a strength, here as well.
Let me know and I'll try to talk you through exactly what you need to do.

Thanks again. Regards, G.

Okay, so for the SSD side, let's assume that one of the systems on there is important to you, so I would suggest you clean it up by cloning from there to your hard drive so you have preserved there your main Mavericks system.
Then start from scratch by using the Unibeast/Clover combination to (a) wipe the SSD and then (b) install Mavericks there from scratch. This install using the USB stick should make a recovery partition for you. Then once done, install the Clover boot loader to the SSD using my files and folders. After that use "migration Assistant" to import all of the stuff you wanted back from the HD. I know it is a pain to do it that way, but at least then you finish with a fully functional UEFI OS X system on your SSD with a recovery partition (which you will see as an option whenever you boot from Clover).
For your HD my recommendation would be to then, use disk utility from your SSD to first completely wipe the HD and then to partition it correctly for UEFI booting. Remember to only use disk utility (or disk util - effectively the same thing really) to make OS X partitions and to leave the part of the disk you want windows on as free space. Using Disk Utility or disk util to format to FAT 32 is not advisable as it changes to a hybrid MBR format instead of GUID and you MUST avoid that for UEFI booting.
If I recall correctly, there are some issues about how many partitions Windows 7 will tolerate on the disk, so read up about that. I think that maybe the most reliable set up would be just to go for one OS X partition on the HD followed by a Windows one. Also look at that link in my earlier post about installing it.
Remember that Windows 7 will not like to install to your HD if your mSATA is connected, so save yourself some grief by disconnecting it by unplugging either the power or the data connection. It took me several failed installs before I finally did that…..
Good luck!

PS I probably should not mention this, but for some reason my NUC never really liked Windows 7. Yes, I installed it and it ran, for a while, but I did experience screen freezes and the need to shut down quite often. I do not know why this happened and never tracked down the exact reason. From what I have read, the NUC seems to work better with Windows 8 than 7. At the moment I am using my own system as a dual boot Fusion Drive OS X system with the Fusion drive being about 1TB (120 GB SSD + 880 HD) and the other OS X version being 120GB of the HD.

Hi There !

I plan to buy the same NUC, and I'm doing some researches before performing the install ...

Thanks a lot for your guide, the Clover method seems more robust and almost as easy as the former chameleon/chimera method i used to perform on my late thinkpad ... (SL 10.6.2 ... that was a LONG time ago !)

I've got one question about AppleHDA.kext : did you try to make a Clover patch for the ALC 283 ? As far as can see (without the nuc to test) you are using a Patched Kext which is not resistant to update (AppleHDA.kext is updated at almost every update ...).

Here is what I found on this subject :

Several people managed to get ALC283 work (Patched Kext, as you use)
Ideapad U430
Del Inspiron 17 7000

RehabMan manage to compile a Kext injector for ALC283 in clover to keep AppleHDA.kext vanilla !

His config.plist (the ALC283 modifications are different from yours) :
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<string>86</string>
		</dict>
		<key>UseIntelHDMI</key>
		<false/>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAAAQAAYAAAAABA2QoAANkKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAACAAAAMAAAAAEFCQAABAAAhwAAAAIECQAABAAAhwAAAP8AAAABAAAAQAAAAA8AAAABAQAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAAAQAAYAAAAABA2QoAANkKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAACAAAAMAAAAAEFCQAABAAAhwAAAAIECQAACAAAhwAAAP8AAAABAAAAQAAAAA8AAAABAQAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>HDMI audio connector patch 10.9.2</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAwAQAAYAAAAABg2QoAANkKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAACAAAAMAAAAAEFCQAABAAAhwAAAAIECQAABAAAhwAAAP8AAAABAAAAQAAAAA8AAAABAQAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAwAQAAYAAAAABg2QoAANkKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAACAAAAMAAAAAEFCQAABAAAhwAAAAIECQAACAAAhwAAAP8AAAABAAAAQAAAAA8AAAABAQAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>HDMI audio connector patch 10.9.3</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>PYQI7BA=</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>PQAAAAA=</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AppleHDA ALC283 patch #1</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>PYUI7BA=</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>PQAAAAA=</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AppleHDA ALC283 patch #2</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>PYQZ1BE=</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>PYMC7BA=</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AppleHDA ALC283 patch #3</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>Detect</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

His patch creates the injector which is the Clover/Kext/ folder (AppleHDA_ALC283.kext available at the end of the post) and the config.plist patch the binaries of AppleHDA.kext as usual ...

This seems very promising, if you want to give a try ! (and if you have the time to do so ;) )

Thread about ALC AppleHDA patching : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293001-mavericks-realtek-alc-applehda-audio/
Git on ALC AppleHDA Clover patching : https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC
Git on HDMI Clover patching : https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverHDMI
Git on Lenovo U430 with ALC283 / ALC AppleHDA Clover patching https://github.com/RehabMan/Lenovo-U430-Touch-DSDT-Patch

Attachments

• AppleHDA_ALC283.kext.zip
    17.6 KB · Views: 239
Hi Sebinhouse,
Thanks for your interest.
I did make a kext injector for ALC283 some time ago but at some point it broke and I failed to fix it! Also, it never really worked on the mic input, but thanks for the link - I will go back and see how well the linked version works for the NUC and then report on it.
AppleHDA.kext was never really a top priority for me as I use the DP and HDMI outputs but it'd be great if there is now a perfect solution.

Later edit:
The binary edits to AppleHDA.kext in the config.plist were effectively the same as I had in my config.plist as a hangover from when I made the previous injector and simply represented a slightly longer string to match and replace, but they actually do the same thing.

The frame buffer edit is different, but simply because it relates to a "mobile" frame buffer for HD4600 whereas we use the "desktop" version, so that is actually not of interest to us.

The "configdata" in the plist inside the injector kext appears to be exactly the same as the configdata we use in our own current patched AppleHDA.kext. However, for me, the kext injector did not work (I haven't checked out the paths and layouts in the zlib files as I don't have time right now to do all the decompressing, checking and recompressing to see the differences but I suspect that this is where the Rehabman version might diverge from our NUC version and maybe that is why it failed for me).

It should be possible for me to go back and re-construct an injector kext again to give us the same functionality as we have in our patched kexts already but I do not expect that it will give any extra function - i.e. mic input. But you never know!!

Reading Rehabmans post though I did at least (I think) discover why my last injector kext stopped working - which was because I had disabled KextCaches in my config.plist when I started experimenting with my system and then never changed it back. So at least I have learnt something. :banghead:

When I get a bit more time I'll go back again and edit my resource pack in the first post, change my config.plist and put as functional a kext injector as I can in there!

I'm more confident about Rehabmans' injector than for (toleda) standard injector : it's not just a .plist embedded in a .kext you have a alias for every component of AppleHDA.kext inside the injector so your don't need to put it in S/L/E (I guess ...).

That a pretty good news if your modifications are the same in config.plist !

I've been digging in the xml to spot obvious differences, but I don't know what I'm looking for ... so I'm stuck here
(Comparaison of your xml files and rehabmans' in the archive.zip file)

Do you have codec dump from linux so I can give a closer look ?

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    50.6 KB · Views: 201
I'm more confident about Rehabmans' injector than for (toleda) standard injector : it's not just a .plist embedded in a .kext you have a alias for every component of AppleHDA.kext inside the injector so your don't need to put it in S/L/E (I guess ...).

That a pretty good news if your modifications are the same in config.plist !

I've been digging in the xml to spot obvious differences, but I don't know what I'm looking for ... so I'm stuck here
(Comparaison of your xml files and rehabmans' in the archive.zip file)

Do you have codec dump from linux so I can give a closer look ?

You can download an untouched codec dump for this from message #213 of this thread. It was done using Mint Linux and not edited or changed in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back