Contribute
Register

MacTester57's HemiMac G4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still wondering if it is possible to build STABLE mod with GA-H77-N-WiFi and i3-3225. http://blugray.tistory.com/5 <- Looks like Mini-ITX mobo can be fitted inside the iMac G4. What concerns me most is the amount of heat (that one is based on nVidia ION). What do you think?
I have 17" USB2.0 version and I would love to make something with it.

I think if you mount a top fan, heat will be no problem. A MiniITX will only fit, if you don't have an internal optical drive. A problem would be, that there is almost no space to plug a HDMI or USB connector to the board.

MacTester

I've just ordered the following components: :D
iMac G4 Hardware.jpg

Hope, that this NUC model (i5, USB 3.0 on the front) will be "Hackintosh-friendly"...

MacTester

Last edited:
The NUC is up and running. :D It works fine in combination with the iMac screen.
iMac G4 NUC Test.jpg

Installation process:
-BIOS all default (updated to the newest 0023 version)
-Boot from Unibeast 2.0.1 Stick with "-X"
-Install 10.8.4
-Reboot
-Apply Multibeast 5.4.3 with:
--Intel 1000E Network
--User DSDT (no DSDT installed @ the moment)
--NullCPUPowermanagement.kext
--USB3.0 Driver
--Trim Enabler
--Macmini 6,1 definition
-Chameleon Wizard:
--"dart=0" entry due to VT-d
-Reboot...

Works:
-Sleep / Rewake :thumbup:
-LAN
-WiFi (oob with the Dell card)
-USB 3.0
-USB 2.0 on the USB 3.0 Front port (with Multibeast USB 3.0 driver)

Does not work:
-Turbo states higher than 1.7GHz
-SSDT, generated from ssdtPRGen (due to the needed NullCPUPowermanagement.kext??)
-Patching the BIOS with PMPatch (as I did it for my DQ77KB MOBO's) is not possible at the moment. Any thoughts / suggestions??

HDMI Audio was not tested, because it is not necessary for this build.

Conclusion for the moment: This board will work fine for this build, but I'm a bit disappointed that it's not possible at the moment to use the turbo states.

MacTester

Last edited:
Sure feels great when it first boots the NUC, doesn't it, MacTester? :headbang:

Probably that NullCPUPowerManagment kext thats preventing the turbo. I'd be really interested to see the GeekBench Scores with the i5. My 64 bit score is about 4700 with the i3. Sleep is an issue with this one though, whereas my Cube PSU build (with the same hardware) sleeps fine. Odd...

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    536.6 KB · Views: 302
Hi!

sorry in weak english...
i make own imac G4 17" USB2 with G75B -i5-3570K etc...
TMDS to DVI... terrible !
I make contact all pin, i measuring -OK!
But, the orange-yellow and purple -5v is hot! and no picture. Backlight Ok.

Any idea?

or please can you make this cable for me?
Xedos from Hungary

Sure feels great when it first boots the NUC, doesn't it, MacTester?

Probably that NullCPUPowerManagment kext thats preventing the turbo. I'd be really interested to see the GeekBench Scores with the i5. My 64 bit score is about 4700 with the i3. Sleep is an issue with this one though, whereas my Cube PSU build (with the same hardware) sleeps fine. Odd...

Cheers!

Ersterhernd,

Yes, It's cool! The Geekbench 32 bit score is only 4068... The additional power of the i5 CPU is not accessible, if turbo does not work. I hope, that it later will be possible to patch the bios.

Today, I've mounted the Noctua case fan and wired the Pico PSU to the internal 19V header of the NUC.

The original IDE DVD drive was connected to an USB 2.0 header with this adapter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-USB-2...RW-/281070988710?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CH:3160 Apple DVD does not work, but VLC plays the disc flawless!

To check, if the NUC PSU has enough power, I've measured the power consumption (on the wall outlet) in different states:
-Idle, NUC only = 11W
-Idle, NUC & iMac screen @ full brightness = 35W
-Prime95, NUC & iMac screen @ full brightness = 49W
-Prime95, NUC, Case Fan @1000RPM, DVD reading @ full RPM & iMac screen @ full brightness = 65W
-Prime95, NUC, Case Fan @1000RPM, accelerate DVD to full RPM & iMac screen @ full brightness = 72W

72W is a bit high, but if the PSU has an efficiency of 90%, then the Wattage on the 19V side would be 64,8W... The PSU has 65W, so it will be OK. And who will spin up the DVD drive while Prime95 is running and the screen is set to full brightness? ;)

Great work MacTester57
I've a question about pinout of original display connector. I'm thinking about making a pcb board with hdmi socket and a header for iMac G4 display connector. I don't have access to my G4 now, so I can't check it by myself.
How pins from this table ( http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ydx11p3RpU...I+pinout+A.jpg ) are located on this picture (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-L...0/IMG_0067.JPG)
BR
Mateusz

Mateusz,

I'm sorry, but I have no idea, how the pinout of the original connector was...

Hi!

sorry in weak english...
i make own imac G4 17" USB2 with G75B -i5-3570K etc...
TMDS to DVI... terrible !
I make contact all pin, i measuring -OK!
But, the orange-yellow and purple -5v is hot! and no picture. Backlight Ok.

Any idea?

or please can you make this cable for me?
Xedos from Hungary

Xedos,

I'm afraid, that your LCD unit already died, if your wires are hot. Orange, yellow & purple must be connected to 3.3V - NOT 5V! Good luck. I've already killed enough nerves with my own TMDS to DVI conversion. ;)

MacTester

Thanks!
Bad news :banghead:
All webpage write 5V :( just now read 3.3V...

Today, I've installed the NUC PSU and secured the touch sensor wiring

Here you can see the black bracket for the PSU. It was made out of a 3mm foamed PVC plate. Later, I've applied velcro to the bracket to secure the PSU:
iMac G4 bracket for PSU.jpg

The PSU is secured with velcro:
iMac G4 NUC PSU installed.jpg

The original PSU metal cover and the DVD drive door are re-installed. To hold the PSU securely in place, I've applied velcro between the cover and the PSU:
iMac G4 NUC PSU installed with drive door.jpg

On the bottom, you can see the finished TMDS to HDMI adapter. It was completely wrapped with black PVC tape. To protect the thin wires, I've applied a piece of cardboard under the tape.

The NUC innards will be placed left of the PSU, between the fan and the DVD drive. It will be TIGHT! The next step will be to remove the former HDD brackets from the DVD cage.

MacTester

Last edited:
Looks great MacTester! That is the perfect location for the PSU. I searched all over for a higher wattage 19V PSU of the same small dimensions as the NUC PSU, but no luck. 65W is likely enough anyway, as you stated. Without the DVD drive, the highest I've ever seen mine go is 45W. You mentioned in your initial post on this thread that you were going to implement the native 2.5mm audio jack, will that draw additional power as well? Just curious, I can hardly wait to see how you do it.

I cut my NUC PSU wires just a few inches off the body of the PSU, then spliced from there using male/female round jacks to both the NUC and the Pico. Plugging the pico directly to the NUC wasn't an option due to the height of the plug itself and the upside-down configuration of the NUC board. There was barely enough height under there to even get the USB and Front Panel Header wires inserted. It works great as is, as leaves the Pico completely isolated from the NUC.

Your TMDS-HDMI cable looks well protected, good work. I have had zero interference whatsoever in the signalling to the LCD on both my iMacs. No pixelation, flashes or any other artifacting. I'm very thankful for that, as troubleshooting that connection would be a bear to complete. Its a sigh of relief to see OSX on the LCD for the first time. :thumbup:

Looking forward to more posts about your progress.

Ersterhernd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back