Contribute
Register

MacTester57's HemiMac G4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CCFL Brightness control is installed into the base and works like a charm!

Video: Installed Brightness control It's magic! :D

Drilling the faraday cage:
iMac G4 drilling Faraday Cage.jpg

Deburr the faraday cage with the good old Dremel:
iMac G4 deburr Faraday Cage.jpg

Finished faraday cage:
iMac G4 Drilled Faraday Cage.jpg

The prepared touch sensors. I've used 25 x 0.5mm copper plates from a G4 Cube PSU shield plate. The thickness of the doublesided tape is 1.5mm:
iMac G4 prepared Touch Sensors.jpg

The base prior to the copper plate installation:
iMac G4 prior to Toch Sensor installation.jpg

And with the installed touch sensor plates:
iMac G4 Touch Sensors installed.jpg

MacTester

Last edited:
Yikes! That metal casing looks tough to cut. Stellar results though, MacTester. I've learned to expect no less from your projects. My picaxe will be several days yet to get here, but I'll post the results as I get them.

One question, this 08M2 controller operates at 3 to 5.5 volts. I'm considering powering it with 3.3 from the pico, which could still allow the range to dim the screen without resistors in the line.

Your thoughts?

Ersterhernd

Yikes! That metal casing looks tough to cut.
It's not that wild, because it's only aluminum. You should pre-drill and then enlarge the holes with a conical sheet metal drill. Use some oil. The distance between the holes is 60mm.

One question, this 08M2 controller operates at 3 to 5.5 volts. I'm considering powering it with 3.3 from the pico, which could still allow the range to dim the screen without resistors in the line.

Your thoughts?
Yes, that should work too. Maybe you will not quite reach 3.15V (which I've measured in original condition). It could be, that you will have to modify the minimum brightness level in your program. Note, that you will have to calibrate the "switch-on limit" for each sensor, after they are mounted to the base (or whatever). Open the "debug" window and see, what the sensor readings are, if you don't touch them. The limits in your program must be between the "not touched" and "touched" reading.

MacTester

Cool, Rick!

Do you already know, what you will do with this thing? I think you will have a lot fun with it.

Remember the trick with the "Fleckenradierer". It's perfect to clean dirty iMacs!

MacTester

In the US there's something called a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser which looks similar… they work really well for getting scuffs off of textured drywall.

I've just found this NUC: http://ark.intel.com/products/74483/Intel-NUC-Kit-DC53427HYE It seems to be new on the market, has one USB 3.0, but is still Ivy Bridge generation (i5)

Pros:
-Available in Switzerland: http://www.brack.ch/intel-barebone-nuc-dc53427hye-254376
-One USB 3.0 (enough for an external Time Machine drive)
-i5 CPU (more power)
-Ivy Bridge = should work with 10.8.4

Cons:
-Not the newest generation
-No SATA (DVD-drive could be connected with an SATA to USB adapter)
-Expensive

Does anyone have this NUC in his Hackintosh? Will it be "Hackintosh-friendly"? What do you think?

MacTester

I haven't seen anyone successfully hack that one yet, MacTester, but it can likely be done. You're right about expensive. 40% more money than the i3 here in Canada. I bought the same i3 today as I bought for the 1st iMac. It worked so well and I really don't need the USB3 or the added speed of the i5 in this machine. Putting 8GB of RAM and a 256 mSATA in it, along with a BroadCom wifi card.

Good luck in your decision.

Ersterhernd

I'm still wondering if it is possible to build STABLE mod with GA-H77-N-WiFi and i3-3225. http://blugray.tistory.com/5 <- Looks like Mini-ITX mobo can be fitted inside the iMac G4. What concerns me most is the amount of heat (that one is based on nVidia ION). What do you think?
I have 17" USB2.0 version and I would love to make something with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back