Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.6 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Software update method for the first time and everything went well, did not have to fix anything, it seams that there were no major changes except that the Appstore was added.

The same as for most of the people, used Software Update with no problems.

Well I am sure this post will get lost among the others but for anyone who is doing the combined update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6 like I did here is what I experience. When I went to restart it froze on a light blue screen. I power cycled my computer it installed and works great no additional patching from multibeast. I did lose my background image though I reset it from the system preferences menu.

Updated software with no problems.

will it make any difference that i'm going from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6 and just skipping over 10.6.5?

gce said:
will it make any difference that i'm going from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6 and just skipping over 10.6.5?

Most likely will break your audio.

tivolife said:
Well I am sure this post will get lost among the others but for anyone who is doing the combined update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6 like I did here is what I experience. When I went to restart it froze on a light blue screen. I power cycled my computer it installed and works great no additional patching from multibeast. I did lose my background image though I reset it from the system preferences menu.

Mine has the same problem right now. Its sitting there with the blue screen. I went from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6 with the combo update. I don't know what power cycling means...Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Run 10.6.6 update from SW Update. Reboot -everything is fine. No need to run AppleHDA Rollback- original AppleHDA kext (1.7.9) is undisturbed in S/L/E
Appstore download & install works fine.
:thumbup: .

Hi All

Success (mostly)!

Built my (first) CustoMac according to the most recent LifeHacker build using Retail DVD, iBoot & Multibeast on Saturday 1-1-11. Had 10.6.4 running nicely within 2 hours. Not really sure if I had sound at the time because I was just so damn happy I had Mac OS again after several years. Sleepmode worked brilliantly from first day. Tonight I bit the bullet and upgraded from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6 using software update. I read on the LifeHacker guide to updating to 10.6.6 to delete sleepenabler kext, so I did (it's still in my trash so I'll drag it to a folder incase I need it.) I used Multibeast again as on initial install. It took a long time to restart (well longer that pre-update anyway.) It took a while for the top menu bar to appear but when the screen loaded I saw the App Store Icon. Success. I tried sleep again, but it fans stayed on even though it looked like it was asleep. Would not awake by keystroke or mouse movement. Restarted and things loaded faster on second restart.

So basically, I really don't know if I ever had sound (need to hook up somethings), but I'm somewhat inconvenienced by losing the nice sleep mode I had on 10.6.4. I'll keep watching for a fix as I'm sure I messed something up.

Thank you all for all the awesome info. My new favorite forum.

Kind Regards,
DM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back