Contribute
Register

KNNSpeed's Build: DZ77RE-75K - Core i7-2600k - XFX 5670

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetooth 2.1 EDR + Wifi 802.11b/g/n Combo - Internal USB Adapter (MS-3871)
eBay Link
Only the bluetooth module works. There's no driver for the wifi card for OS X, only Windows and Linux... :(

Hey, I just built a similar Ivy Bridge version of this build on the same motherboard, excellent tips and nice build! I have also found a way to get the WiFi module for this board working as well! It uses an Ralink chipset and there are drivers for it available at the Ralink website http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?sn=502 It's the top USB driver (USB(RT2870/RT2770/RT3X7X/RT537X)) and the only one that supports Mountain Lion. It asks for a name and e-mail before downloading but it will take anything in the field. :) Install the downloaded driver and utility, then restart.

If your build is like mine, then the System Information on OSX will list the WiFi + Bluetooth Module under the USB devices. It showed the 802.11 N WLAN but it wasn't working or recognized in the System Preferences -> Network pane. If you click on it, it shows the Product and Vendor (in this case MSI) ID's. After conversion of these ID's from hex to decimal, we get this:
Product ID: 0x3871 -> 14449
Vendor ID: 0xdb0 -> 3504

Open the RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext in System -> Library -> Extensions and find the MSI entries with vendor ID 3504 and change the first listing Product ID to "14449". No need to change the Vendor ID as it should be the same, please double check this or it will not work. Reinstall the kext with your preferred program, (I like Kext Utility or Kext Wizard) and make sure that you repair permissions and rebuild kext caches then shutdown, NOT restart. While shutdown, unplug the WiFi + Bluetooth module (I find it easiest to do this at the module itself rather than at the motherboard) then turn on and boot back into ML. Check to make sure your modified kext has been installed properly and then shutdown again. Plug the module back in and boot the computer back up. Your System Preferences -> Network should show a WLAN device now and the System Information will have a BSD name listed in the description as well. You can now use the Ralink Utility that installed with the driver to connect using WiFi!

Hope this works as well for others like it is for me. WiFi isn't necessary, but it's nice to have working. Also, unplugging the module after installing the kext, boot and shutdown, then plugging the module back in was crucial to get this to work for me. It didn't seem to want to just recognize it the way it did with the bluetooth. Please let me know if this works for others.

Hey! It worked! Sweet! :headbang:
Only one thing, though: My system would not update the kernel cache properly, so I had to boot into safe mode to force it to load the driver after following all of your instructions to the letter ( I suppose I could have just used the flag "UseKernelCache=No", but I just wanted to be safe). After that, I just rebooted normally and it worked! :D

Thanks! Would you mind if I stuck that into my main guide (with all due credit, of course)?

Hey! It worked! Sweet! :headbang:
Only thing though: My system would not update the kernel cache properly, so I had to boot into safe mood to force it to load the driver after following all of your instructions to the letter ( I suppose I could have just used the flag "UseKernelCache=No", but I just wanted to be safe). After that, I just rebooted normally and it worked! :D

Thanks! Would you mind if I stuck that into my main guide (with all due credit, of course)?

Absolutely you can use it in the guide. Just looking to make things as close to 100% working as possible and I love this motherboard. I was happy to come across your build and guide, especially the SATA port kext edit. Glad to hear that it worked for you, even with the kernel cache difficulty.

Updated the main guide. Thanks!

I'm really fond of this board, too--I can't wait for more thunderbolt stuff to come out, especially with the addition of a whole slew of new Windows-compatible devices. I feel like the devices that are certified as both Windows and Mac compatible work best with this board, as I've had some issues with certain Mac-only things. I'm under the impression that the addition of Windows certification alleviates issues that could otherwise come up from this being a PC motherboard.

Anyways, I'm glad we could help each other out! :thumbup:

I guess all that really leaves now is "OS X-hot swappable" thunderbolt support, HDMI audio, and the wacky sleep issue to fix. I think the most important of those 3 is the last one, though, but I just can't seem to figure out what the heck is going on...

I think the sleep issue is the next step for me too. It's kinda strange but I think it's definitely fixable, probably with a few edits. I'm headed out of town for a few weeks for the holidays, but I'll get back to work on the build after that. I'll let you know if I actually get it to work. Thanks again for all your prior work as well, definitely a Golden Build and happy to see one that isn't a Gigabyte. This one requires a little bit more effort, but it's worth it in my opinion. Well done!

So I got an i7-3770k (YAY!) and some new RAM, and everything's going swimmingly so far except for one thing, and it's preventing me from updating the main guide with the new info: The HD 4000.

It looks like it should be working as I can view the boot screen and -v just fine on it, and it even shows up properly in About this Mac (so it looks like the driver is loading), but when I get to the login screen it just looks like it's moving in hyperespace or something. The Radeon 5670 is fine, as are my 2 monitors that are hooked up to it, but my 3rd monitor on the 4000 just isn't making sense.

Also according to About this Mac, the device ID for my 4000 is 0166, but that's for the MOBILE 4000; the desktop's ID should actually be 0162! (Chimera shows this properly in verbose boot at the very beginning of its loading.)

I'm checking out here http://blog.stuffedcow.net/2012/07/intel-hd4000-qeci-acceleration/ because it looks promising, so I'm gonna try that and see what happens...

Edit: Ok, so Chimera is purposefully setting the device ID to 0166, because apparently the driver itself doesn't care whether it's being used for mobile or desktop. The important thing is the "platform ID," which is at the end of a hex string, and can be from 0-B (i.e. 0-9 or a-b). Chimera, by default, injects the hex string 0x0166000a, as this works with most things by default. Read more here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/60010-official-hd-4000-support.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61216-10-8-how-enable-hd4000.html

Anyways, I've found so far that the "hyperspace screen" glitch goes away when the resolution is set to 1024x768, so at least that's one headache down. Supposedly the fix is to add a "Graphics Mode" key to org.chameleon.Boot.plist to force the proper resolution, but I think that was designed with only 1 monitor in mind, and I have 3 monitors connected to 2 cards. I have no idea what could happen, but I guess I'll try it and see.

Edit 2: Hmm, well that worked--no EFI string injection needed! :thumbup:
I just added:
Code:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<script>1280x1024x32</script>
And the "hyperspacing" went away. Before I restarted, I forgot to return the screen's resolution under the "Displays" preferences to 1280x1024 from 1024x768, so the "hyperspacing" did happen, sort of. I just went back into the displays preferences and clicked "Gather Windows" to get everything on my main screen (hooked to my Radeon 5670), changed it to "Best for Display," and voila! it works! The one caveat is I can't change the resolution to anything other than 1280x960 or else my display freaks out. Ah well, I won't ever really need to change it, anyways. ;)

So all I needed to do, really, to upgrade from an i7-2600k to an i7-3770k was to remove the "AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFBInjector.kext" kext from /System/Library/Extensions/, remove the SSDT.aml file from /Extra/, reinstall FakeSMC (from MultiBeast 5.2.1) for whatever reason, change the "Minimum IGD RAM" in the BIOS to 64MB, and do the "Graphics Mode" edit above.
Surprisingly easy!

I also changed my SMBios to Macmini6,2 using Chameleon Wizard, but in hindsight that wasn't really necessary. I probably could have gone with the 6,1 from MultiBeast 5.2.1 or even stuck with the 5,1 I've been using. I'll probably go back to the 6,1 for simplicity's sake.

I'll update the main guide tomorrow with this and the new RAM; I need to sleep first!

I don't mean to double post, but I can't add any more edits, including the all-important Edit 14 detailing the upgrade process from my i7-2600k to an i7-3770k.

I get a "Your post is 25xxx characters long, please shorten it to 25000" message, and I don't have a second post that I could use as a continuation of the first.

So, starting with Edit 11, I'm going to have to keep all my bigger-than-a-sentence edits here, then...

KNNSpeed's Edit 11 said:
EDIT 11:
I used the updated MultiBeast 5.1.3 to install only the new audio kexts and the updated FakeSMC. One thing to note is that you need to use something like AppZapper to uninstall the old HWMonitor app before updating FakeSMC or else you get an incomplete menu. Apparently the new version of HWMonitor bundled with MultiBeast 5.1.3 still uses some assets from the old version if they are present, so, again, you need to completely uninstall the old HWMonitor before updating. Otherwise, no stability problems have arisen from the update (Yay!).

KNNSpeed's Edit 12 said:
EDIT 12:
So it's been a while since I wrote anything about my hardware, namely because I forgot to (sorry). As of November 16th, 2012, I removed my PCI IDE card because I wasn't using the Zip drive at all. It still works, though, so I'm leaving it in the build description. My PC currently is also running with 16GB RAM, as I added two of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JO10RU. Yes, the timings on them are 9-9-9-27 while my 2 Crucial sticks are 9-9-9-24, but so far I've had ZERO problems with this tiny mismatch. Also, I changed my mouse and keyboard to a Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 and an old Gateway-branded Logitech M-UR69 USB mouse that I've had lying around. I updated the main guide to reflect these changes.
KNNSpeed's Edit 13 said:
EDIT 13:
Wi-Fi now works! I've updated the main guide thanks to gldnbrwncouches on page 20! Woohoo!
KNNSpeed's Edit 14 said:
EDIT 14:
New CPU & RAM! WOOO! Best of all, the upgrade was pretty smooth, except for the HD 4000. But I figured out why, so I updated the main guide, and anyone else who has a problem with the HD 4000 should check out my post on page 20 for a detailed explanation or just read below for the "just works" version:

The upgrade is surprisingly easy, just follow these steps:

• Remove the "AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFBInjector.kext" kext from /System/Library/Extensions/
  • Remove the SSDT.aml file from /Extra/
  • Reinstall FakeSMC from MultiBeast 5.2.1 (for whatever reason the upgrade screwed up the hardware plugins)
  • Change the "IGD Minimum Memory" in the UEFI to 64MB
  • Add the following to org.chameleon.Boot.plist, substituting your monitor's native resolution for "AAAAxBBBBx32:"
Code:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>[I]AAAA[/I]x[I]BBBB[/I]x32</string>
What this does is force the monitor to run at the resolution specified, and this is necessary or else you'll get screen seizure-like issue at any resolution other than 1024x768. Unfortunately, this also basically locks your resolution to whatever you set it as, as if you try to change it from within OS X, almost all, if not all, other resolutions look like your screen is having a seizure.

And that's basically it!

On another note, I got faster RAM, but it's the same amount as before and there's nothing special to report about it.
I also updated to MultiBeast 5.2.1, and I've added images that show what should be selected. As part of the proces I changed my system definition to Macmini6,1 simply because it uses Ivy Bridge parts and I wanted the platform of my real system and the OS X system to match.
KNNSpeed's Edit 15 said:
EDIT 15:
Got a nifty new power supply, the 850W PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III (what a name!). As its name implies, it's pretty quiet, and it's even 80 Plus Gold Certified!

Anyways, the bigger news is that I've upgraded to 10.8.3. Firstly, AppleHDA.kext needed to be reinstalled from MultiBeast. Otherwise, it was a smooth upgrade.

After I upgraded, though, was when the fun part came in. I got a sweet new graphics card and I've been [im]patiently awaiting 10.8.3 to get it to work under OS X! (OK, confession time: I got the card in December and it's been out since January 2012, so it's not "new"--but it's still awesome and reportedly an AMD flagship card throughout 2013! :D)

It's the MSI 2PMD3GD5/OC, a reference design 7970 overclocked to 1010MHz Core and 1375MHz memory. The best part is, it works NATIVELY under OS X. Isn't that something? I wrote up my big revelation (in addition to some important tidbits) about it below.

KNNSpeed said:
Taken from: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...xxx-graphics-testing-thread-4.html#post569359

YES!!!!!!! Alright! WOO! :headbang:

So I got an MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC, and it works without the sleep trick if I have my HD 4000 set as primary in my UEFI settings.

I'm using the HDMI, DVI, and one of the MiniDisplayPorts with an Active MDP-->DVI converter on my 7970, by the way, so with GE=Yes I can report my outputs are working fine. :thumbup:

DVD Player doesn't crash, either, so I'm guessing that it's almost got full Quartz Extreme/Core Image support. I say "almost" because it comes up as a "Radeon HD 7xxx Series" card under System Profiler instead of a bona fide Radeon HD 7970 Series card.

This is a reference design 7970 stock overclocked to 1010MHz Core and 1375MHz memory, so I'm glad that's at least working, though. :D

------------------------------------------------
So, I tried it with GraphicsEnabler=No and I got a Kernel Panic about Ethernet. But I reset my system (on a DZ77RE-75K) and it boot properly. Since Chimera doesn't have 7xxx support yet, it makes sense that it works just like when I set GE to Yes. Since I need both, I'm currently taking advantage of a not-yet-feature of Chimera and setting GE=Yes.

Next I set my 7970 as default in the UEFI, and I don't quite get why people are saying the boot screen doesn't show up. It does, but you just get that annoying white screen issue. And since my hack can't sleep, that could be a problem.

But, when my Intel HD Graphics 4000 is set as my primary display device in my UEFI settings, I do have a monitor on which I can see the login screen. As I stated before, there is no white screen issue when I have my HD 4000 doing the dirty work during boot time. It 'just works' in that case--"dirty linen" and everything.

-------------------------------------------------
Hopefully that all made sense. If not, here's a summary:

1. MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC works.
2. Booting with Intel HD 4000 set as the primary video device in my UEFI settings "just works," i.e. there's no white screen/sleep issue on any of the displays connected to my 7970.
3. GraphicsEnabler=Yes is needed for my HD 4000 to work, and since Chimera has no impact on the Radeon HD 7xxx series currently, this doesn't break anything (in fact it works better this way).

Case and point: Try setting the integrated graphics as the primary video device in your UEFI/BIOS settings, and the white screen issue may go away. :thumbup:

Hi.

I have read your build. Congratulations that you got it up and running. I am currently building one on my own. Mainboard: GA-H77-DS3H, i5-3570 and XFX Radeon 5670.

Everything worked quote OOB (installation worked fine, ethernet is working, onboard sound is working etc). The only thing which bothers me is that my graphics card is not recognized properly.

I have edited ATI5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonAccellerator.kext so that both have my model and vendor ID in it. I am also able to boot into MountainLion with GE=Yes.

But the resolution is 1024x768 and within the systeminformation the card is recognized as 3MB graphics card.

Can you give me a hint how you managed to get full support for our card? (you have written that you have edited Langur. Where and how do i do that if that is necessary?) Currently my monitor is using DVI but I plan to use Displayport.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Seaker

Ok, so firstly you don't need to touch AMDRadeonAccellerator.kext, or add your vendor ID to anything, really, so it would be best to undo whatever you did.

Next, you can either hex edit the AMD5000Controller as I described in my original post, or you can just use mine and try and see if it works. I can vouch for HDMI and DVI working fine, but I can't guarantee the DisplayPort output (although, in theory, it should work with the way I have it coded).

Mine: View attachment ATI5000Controller -- LANGUR edits.kext.zip
Remember to rename it to just ATI5000Controller.kext after unzipping it, and to back up your old version of the kext!

Just put it on your desktop, run KextBeast, repair permissions, and reboot, using AtiConfig=Langur once at Chimera. If it doesn't load right, try booting into safe mode (with GraphicsEnabler=Yes) to force it to load, and then try rebooting normally.

I have set up a clean installation with integrated graphics which worked fine. I have then installed your kext as you have described.

When rebooting it got stuck and i booted in safe mode with ge=yes. This did not work either. With ge no i managed to get back into ml.

When booting with aticonfig=langur I always get stuck at the apple logo and spinning circle. It just keeps spinning.

Have you got any idea why and what else have you set in the bootlist ?

Best regards for your support
Seaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back