Contribute
Register

KNNSpeed's Build: DZ77RE-75K - Core i7-2600k - XFX 5670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason I asked is I am putting together a computer for a Pro Tools rig and this board has enough sata ports. The Gigabyte board I was considering doesn't.

All the sata ports work, so no worries there!
The only things that don't work quite right are sleep, usb 2.0 in one or two of the 3.0 ports, and the plug 'n' play feature of thunderbolt, but otherwise it's pretty much flawless.

Using the Mac Mini system definition has no noticeable performance loss, either, if you were concerned about that. I still get full speed (and speedstep) out of my i7-2600k according to the Hardware Monitor app.

I also want to overclock an ivy bridge proccessor 3770k...how difficult is it to navigate the UEFI on intel? I noticed in Multibeast that under SSDT you checked Sandy Bridge Core i7? I did not see Ivy Bridge Core i7

SSDT is for Sandy Bridge i5 and i7 processors only. See the MultiBeast Features document which comes with MultiBeast in the downloadable zip file.

I also want to overclock an ivy bridge proccessor 3770k...how difficult is it to navigate the UEFI on intel? I noticed in Multibeast that under SSDT you checked Sandy Bridge Core i7? I did not see Ivy Bridge Core i7

Yeah, as Stork said. Ivy Bridge is natively supported by OS X, and on a 7 series chipset it shouldn't have any problems. I don't have an Ivy Bridge CPU yet, though, so my knowledge on the subject is really limited.

As for the UEFI, overclocking is really, really easy with the new Visual BIOS thing Intel's got going on. It's literally as simple as sliding some sliders around. Of course, there's still the old way using the Classic menus, if you prefer that method.

KNNSpeed
How did you figure out the usb ports where interfering and which ones?
thanks

Awesome thread - great to see someone so keen to help.

This might be off topic - I am just curious how you got the windows boot loader to allow you to choose between 7 and OS X, as most of the guides, well all of the ones I can find, are to have chimera or a OSX boot loader as the first thing - and choose between 7 and OSx from that.

Reason I am posting this in this thread though, is because of the board you are using, which would be better, the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH , or the DZ77RE-75K ??

Then one last question, I am planning on running a Quadro K5000 in this system, would I need the mac edition? or the standard k5000 as there are two versions?

Kind Regards

Basil

I am bouncing back and forth on both boards...I am leaning toward the intel board primarily for the additional sata (9) and usb (18) ports.
My biggest concern is I dont have enough experience to know what to do if something isn't working correctly. If someone has any pics of the UEFI it would be great!

KNNSpeed
How did you figure out the usb ports where interfering and which ones?
thanks
I plugged in a USB flashdrive into all of them, and 2 of them didn't work. However, those 2 ports worked with USB 1.1 mice amd keyboards and USB 3.0 devices, so it doesn't seem to be too big a deal.

Awesome thread - great to see someone so keen to help.

This might be off topic - I am just curious how you got the windows boot loader to allow you to choose between 7 and OS X, as most of the guides, well all of the ones I can find, are to have chimera or a OSX boot loader as the first thing - and choose between 7 and OSx from that.

To get the windows 7 bootloader to load OS X, I had to grab a special file called boot0md. Once I had that, I stuck it in the root of the windows drive, and added an entry for it in the BCD. See here my screenshot here:
View attachment 37214
I got the file from here:
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,2091.0.html
I'm not sure if the link is still up. If not, I can upload it if you want.

Reason I am posting this in this thread though, is because of the board you are using, which would be better, the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH , or the DZ77RE-75K ??

They both work, save for the few really just minor things I've noted in my guide. They also both have guides, but I can only help with the DZ77RE-75K. It's up to you, really--One thing that I recently came across, though, is that in order to use the 2 thunderbolt ports on the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, you need to actually disable some of the other ports on the motherboard (I believe it's a SATA cluster). I don't know about you, but I prefer the DZ77RE-75K in that you don't have to sacrifice anything to use ALL that the board has to offer, including the thunderbolt port.

That being said, I think the Gigabyte board works with some thunderbolt peripherals that the Intel board doesn't, but it's been a couple BIOS updates since I last tried anything, so that certainly may have changed.

Then one last question, I am planning on running a Quadro K5000 in this system, would I need the mac edition? or the standard k5000 as there are two versions?

Kind Regards

Basil
Unfortunately, I have no idea. I only know how to edit the kexts for ATI 5000 series (and I guess 6000 series, too) cards.

I am bouncing back and forth on both boards...I am leaning toward the intel board primarily for the additional sata (9) and usb (18) ports.
My biggest concern is I dont have enough experience to know what to do if something isn't working correctly. If someone has any pics of the UEFI it would be great!
This is what the UEFI looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=dpZr2khbPWQ
If something goes wrong with overclocking, I wouldn't be able to help you. I can help with anything else, though!
Also, for the Gigabyte board, if it's one of the dual-thunderbolt models, see my answer to basilwt above. In order to use some of the thunderbolt features, it seems you have to disable some SATA ports. Seeing how SATA is what's important to you, I'd pick the DZ77RE-75K over a dual-thunderbolt Gigabyte board. As for any other Gigabyte board, it depends. Which model are you looking at?

Excellent, thanks - I will have another think about it.

Thanks for the info about the windows boot loader - thats exactly what I was after - I assume that method would be useful in the event you had / have a windows install first - then shrink the partition to make space for a mac partition / or use an alternative drive etc.

Can you go in that order?

Install Windows 7 on a new drive, then shrink the partition, then install OSX using the thumbdrive to the free space at the end of the drive (assuming you partition it using disk utility) - and then if you chose to install chimera (multibeast) where would it sit?

There would be the 100MB system partition windows creates, that contains the windows boot loader - what happens in this case? Would you have needed to create a boot partition somewhere for mac - that you can then point to from the windows boot manager?

I havent followed your links yet - thinking about it now - it may answer my questions - :) - im gonna go through them quick - but thanks again for your help / advice.

Kind Regards

Basil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back