Contribute
Register

Is it stupid to think I can get a "problem free" hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i sold my imac that was ageing on craigslist after seeing tony macs website i built my computer and for the life of me could not get qe/ci working i got so frustrated i reformated to windows 7 i was upset with this seeing as i had fallen in love with osx after the few years of haveing an imac after being on windows for 3 weeks i wanted to give it one more try and boy am i glad i did i have a 100% working machine with 10.6.8

sleep wake the hole 9 yards

i did try the lion update and found that i couldnt achieve the same thing and reverted back to snow leopard im sure as time passes and lion ages more great minds will come up with solutions to problems i am haveing and that is when i will upgrade patience and good googling skills will yeild great results

Not stupid at all. Mine is in my sig and it is pretty much problem free. I can do anything I want to do on it without troubles. I use it everyday, it gets put to sleep every night and woken every morning.

I use it for photo editing, video re-encoding, word processing, web browsing the primary print server for the household and many other things. I also have a Windows 7 VM that runs on it for any Windows development work I do. I haven't installed Xcode yet as I don't have any coding I need to do related to OS X yet.

It has currently been up for 17 days and runs fine, I think the last time I rebooted it was due to 10.7.1.

The laptop in the sig on the other hand has had some issues, but since Lion has been pretty stable I must admit. I've not gone to 10.7.1 on that yet and probably won't as I get a 11" MBA Ultimate in a couple of weeks which will replace it.

I went through this period with my Hack, too. Nothing seems to be getting any better and there doesn't seem to be a ready answer to your problems. The key is persistence! Turns out that I had a bum video card. Once I figured that out and put in a new one, everything began to work. I have no problems with sleep, bluetooth works after sleep, etc. It works like my iMac, but is much faster! Keep asking questions, that what this forum is for.

Mine is working very well! Key of course, as others have said, is to have the correct hardware. In my case, I had to make do with what I could scrounge up because I didn't have any money to invest in this project. I was fortunate to have some mostly compatible parts available, however.

You have to be willing to give up on certain hardware, though. My main desktop is a quadcore Phenom on an MSI880GMA board. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be easy, as I haven't found anybody having successfully used that board on AMD. But the core2duo system in my sig wasn't bad. I wanted to use a SATA HDD drive, but the only DVD I had to use was IDE. The OSX installer barfed when it saw both SATA and IDE in use at the same time, so I had to switch to an IDE drive. Also, I initially was using a Realtek 8139 NIC. Unfortunately, it would stop working under heavy loads and require rebooting. So I hunted down the only other NIC I could find laying about, an 8169. Turns out it's almost an orphan, Apple dropped support for it after DP1 in Lion.

But, in the end, I have a system where the only thing that doesn't work is sleep. Sound, unfortunately, does also have occasional pops and whines... so after this experiment I'm sure I'll go back to my quadcore AMD machine as it is much more powerful, but it *IS* possible for a Hackintosh to pull service as your only computer reliably.

EDIT: Whoa... I actually got sleep... to work?... a effn mazing.

Absolutely rock solid and problem free build here too (In my sig, the P55M-UD4 build).

This is one of the original Tonymac builds dating back a year or maybe longer, but the thing is that now with the later and improved versions of iBoot, Multibeast etc, I'm loathe to actually upgrade it because everything literally does 'just work'.

I had some very early issues regarding memory but that was because I bought really cheap 'compatible' modules.

Having switched to decent stuff now, Ive not had a single crash or issue with this system at all.

I also, over a period of time, came up with my own set of post installation routines, which help to fine tune the performance and configuration of the system.

When the day does eventually come that this machine moves into the hands of a new owner or a new life, I will be sad in a way. But that will certainly not be happening any time soon.

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back