Contribute
Register

iMac G3 Test Bench / Show case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difficult decision... But i think, maybe, You already gave part of the answer? You said, you want it to look good (cabling). Ok, mATX is more of a challenge, but are there practical reasons for putting that, instead of an ITX, in? Do You need the slots, when, as You said, You will have to go internal graphics anyway because of power restraints? (If You use the MDD-PSU, that is.)
My two cents,

Olli

Difficult decision... But i think, maybe, You already gave part of the answer? You said, you want it to look good (cabling). Ok, mATX is more of a challenge, but are there practical reasons for putting that, instead of an ITX, in? Do You need the slots, when, as You said, You will have to go internal graphics anyway because of power restraints? (If You use the MDD-PSU, that is.)
My two cents,

Olli

True, the more slots there are in there, the more wires potentially there are also to route outside. And as the iMac was not designed to deliver a whole load of cabling to external devices maybe it is better to go ITX.

Looks like I had better earn a bit more cash to pay for a board as I am certainly not going to be pulling the board from my Cube again any time soon.

We all could use some more cash, hehe. By the way, do You think that the case plastics of the i/eMac are laser cuttable? If i put a 17" LCD into the E one day, i´ll have to do some cutting to have all the screen-estate available. I think it would look better than myself start cutting, filing and sanding...

We all could use some more cash, hehe. By the way, do You think that the case plastics of the i/eMac are laser cuttable? If i put a 17" LCD into the E one day, I´ll have to do some cutting to have all the screen-estate available. I think it would look better than myself start cutting, filing and sanding...

No way would I try and laser those plastics - I can tell they would not stand a chance to cut cleanly. It has to be the good old fashioned way for them unfortunately (sigh).

Pulled apart the case tonight to make a decision on the PSU. Conclusion: use the Silverstone SFF 450W PSU I have. The MDD supply is even when taken apart slightly too long (could squeeze it in but I am not happy having an open PSU right next to hard drives etc. The BeQuiet ATX PSU would I think squeeze in there but again would leave not much space next to the drive caddy, plus it would extend between the main support levels and just looks a bit big. The Silverstone though will fit nicely and leaves me some space for contingency for other components and wiring.

Had an idea today, i found some places here that offer water-jet cutting your stuff. Gonna give them a call the other day and see what it would cost me. It´s the front bezel for the screen and i really wouldn´t want to mess it up...This is different then cutting your old G4 PSU-shelf ect.. Rather spend some money for a nice and clean cut since i don´t think i´ve got the tools and facilities to do it myself.

Olli

Had an idea today, i found some places here that offer water-jet cutting your stuff. Gonna give them a call the other day and see what it would cost me. It´s the front bezel for the screen and i really wouldn´t want to mess it up...This is different then cutting your old G4 PSU-shelf ect.. Rather spend some money for a nice and clean cut since i don´t think i´ve got the tools and facilities to do it myself.

Olli

Be interested to see how you get on.

So after leaving this on hold and thinking hard about this project I have now decided it is going to take a different direction.

It is going to have a screen, but not a terrible low resolution one. Instead it will have the retina display from the MacBook Pro.....

I will be using this part: http://dp2mbpr.rozsnyo.com and this item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300906281212

Both parts are a little bit of a gamble. The converter board is from a guy that I bought a board off for using the iPad Retina display - so I know he is technically capable and assume/hope that in due course the board will arrive.....The display is listed as you see it as not busted/broken but untested. The feedback on those items looks good though so though there is a chance I may end up with a pile of scrap the signs are hopeful - it is also under half the price of the tested items out there.

I have some ideas on how the panel will fix in the iMac, so we shall see if they work out. It will be there as a permanent screen though and the case will not be a "show" case anymore. Currently the plan is to make the iMac now to be back into the all in one machine it always was, but somewhat updated (!). If it works out well then I will give it to my wife as her new machine (it'll be a nice surprise for her to have her beloved iMac back again).

Current thinking is to find a nice ITX board that has display port and HDMI and make a simple build with that.

Hey Minihack,

some news, good. I was thinking, if i would ever hack my iMac, what to do too. Get a low resolution screen that fits the original case, or buy a newer panel with up-to-date resolutions. Problem is, what to do with the space that´s left, the original being 4:3 and the new being Widescreen units. Have You come up with an idea what you will do to cover up the "holes"?

Olli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back