Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Zelanaiznac,
The 2 ports next to the LAN (asm1042a [1142 device ID]) are working but have some bugs. Unless somebody releases or patches a driver, I don't see the asm1042 (R4E) ports working in 10.11. I also don't think we'll see any love for the asm107x ports unless Apple adds support or someone puts out a kext. I'm not sure if messing with device IDs in the oem kexts can help but I'm pretty sure that ACPI edits are not going to help because the device properties can't be changed by editing the ACPI tables (device IDs and port information is provided by the chip's firmware).

I like everything about my R4BE and I would recommend it over the R4E. I'm curious about the evga X99 classified board because it has all intel USB 2 and USB 3 ports through the x99 chipset. My guess is that it would be a lot easier to manipulate them in the acpi tables but I'm not going to buy a new system to find out.

@Tak21,
A PCI USB3 card could work for you but I'd make sure that it's fully working in 10.11 before buying it. Keep us posted.

shilohh
Thank you thank you thank you again. incredible! with your instructions, this piece of **** turned into a workhorse!

If I use a pci-e usb 3.0 card with native support, this would fix the upgrade pain?
Reason I am asking: these cards are < 30 EUR and compared to the effort (vs the price of my pc!) it seems to be an option for me. I am currently looking at this product: " Inateck USB 3.0 Karte Pci Expresskarte 5 Ports + 1 USB 3.0 20-Pin-Stecker mit 15pin Sata Connector". It is reported to work native and I can use the internal connector for my case USB 3.0 ports.

Note: I did the same thing for sound. I am using a Creative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 USB and ever since I do not have to bother with sound when upgrading / new installing.

it has fresco fl1100 chipset, the same that the mac pro trash uses so, maybe, it will work

Hi bros,

Could anyone give me some hints on the installation of Capitan as I tried it 2 days but it still cannot install via a USB drive (32GB and 8GB as well, no good). It stops on the bluetooth something then waiting for the root device then hang.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme Sandy bridge 3930K, GTX 670 2GB RAM.

I use -v, cpu=1, npci=0x2000 in my config.plist under clover.

Many many thanks.

baybaymac

Hi bros,

Could anyone give me some hints on the installation of Capitan as I tried it 2 days but it still cannot install via a USB drive (32GB and 8GB as well, no good). It stops on the bluetooth something then waiting for the root device then hang.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme Sandy bridge 3930K, GTX 670 2GB RAM.

I use -v, cpu=1, npci=0x2000 in my config.plist under clover.

Many many thanks.

baybaymac
What you are experiencing is the USB 2 ports are mapped in the DSDT in a way that makes the 10.11 kexts not compatible. So the installer loads the kexts and the USB ports go dead. Then the rest of the USB installer can't be accessed. I have a ssdt that I'm still testing that will allow you to install. Also, you'll want to install as macpro3,1 4,1 5,1 or iMac13,2. I'll post what I've got when I get home.

Many many thanks, bros. Your installation guide is always the best and easier to follow. Awaiting your top-notch work!!!!

Thanks ya'll for the kind words. I don't have time to overhaul the guide right now but I don't want to keep everyone waiting. I finally worked out a simple solution for the USB2 nightmare that El Cap brought. I won't be answering all the questions until I get a chance to update the guide.

NOTE: Right now I can only say the new files will work for R4BE and R4E. If you have Asus X79 Deluxe you can try the files for R4BE but no guaranties. If you any other Asus X79 board you can try the files for R4E but no guaranties. If these new files don't work for you, you can use "SSDT-7" from USB2FixOnly.zip instead of SSDT-0.aml in the EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder of the USB installer and the boot drive. Do not install USB3 kexts.

Either clone your boot drive or install to a second drive.

Create your USB installer using the attached files.

Install the newest clover using the attached files.

Install OS X.

Install the newest clover to your El Capitan boot drive using the attached files.

Install the X79MacPro61SpeedStep.kext using kextbeast.

EDIT: If you have R4BE Use the "DSDT Stripper for Device SSDT.txt" to create your DSDT. If you have any other board SKIP THIS STEP for now.

Run the AGDPfix.app and reboot. DONE.

Oh yeah, Install the web driver for El Cap if you have a kelper or maxwell card that required it in Yos or you'll need to use nv_disable=1 until you do.

I'll cover updating your current Yosemite later but if you know what you're doing, just make sure you delete all your old ACPI files and use these new ones. Also delete all the kext you installed including FakeSMC and except for the X79MacPro61SpeedStep.kext and update clover.

EDIT: Original Post Updated for El Capitan

Attachments

• USB2FixOnly.zip
    995 bytes · Views: 157
Thanks ya'll for the kind words. I don't have time to overhaul the guide right now but I don't want to keep everyone waiting. I finally worked out a simple solution for the USB2 nightmare that El Cap brought. I won't be answering all the questions until I get a chance to update the guide.

Either clone your boot drive or install to a second drive.

Create your USB installer using the attached files.

Install the newest clover using the attached files.

Install OS X.

Install the newest clover to your El Capitan boot drive using the attached files.

Install the X79MacPro61SpeedStep.kext using kextbeast.

Use the "DSDT Stripper for Device SSDT.txt" to create your DSDT.

Run the AGDPfix.app and reboot. DONE.

I'll cover updating your current Yosemite later but if you know what you're doing, just make sure you delete all your old ACPI files and use these new ones. Also delete all the kext you installed including FakeSMC and except for the X79MacPro61SpeedStep.kext and update clover.

I will try to rewrite the guide soon but I need to get some sleep now. :crazy:

This is great and terrible at the same time. I am reading this while working at home today. That means I know that I can install El Capitan but I have to wait another 8.5 hours.

Thanks for all of the hard work Shiilohh. I will be trying this out after I get off of work today unless i develop a severe cold *cough, cough* after lunch today :)

Thanks ya'll for the kind words. I don't have time to overhaul the guide right now but I don't want to keep everyone waiting. I finally worked out a simple solution for the USB2 nightmare that El Cap brought. I won't be answering all the questions until I get a chance to update the guide....

...attached zip...

Shilohh; you are the best! I was able to boot my installer USB stick right up after apply the changes in the Zip. That's the first time I was able to even get to the installer with El Capitan.

What would we all do without you?

I haven't been using my system for a few months; but I figured I'd give it another go now that El Capitan is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back