Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shilohh, (and others), one question: can you boot your setup in safe mode?

As soon as I try, I get the following:

IMG_0375.jpg

This is using OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi. Now, if I use OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead, I can boot into safe mode, but then my native NVRAM does not work anymore. Does this happen to you as well? Any ideas?

And some points regarding the USB card (I use exactly the same 7-port model):

• The card apparently seems to use 2 hubs to achieve a total of seven ports. What I am wondering about is that one of these hubs shows up as an USB2(!) hub. As I see on your screen a few pages ago, you seem to have the same symptom.
  • The card does not charge devices while being in sleep or powered off - which is a bummer, since that was possible with the ASM1042 ports. Not sure if there can be anything done about that, since it also does not charge in windows while sleeping
  • It seems that there is not as much power available as with the ASM1042. While it still charges my iPad, this seems to be slower. Would be nice to have an App that actually shows the exact amount of current provied by the ports.
  • With 10.10 I do not see the "additional charging" information in the SysProfiler, and with 10.11 I do not see any current information at all. Is it the same with your setup? If I add a clock-id to a USB3 specific SSDT, the information is back, but then all devices are disconnected after sleep. But not sure if this information is more or less cosmetic, as the devices do in fact charge. Maybe I need a better SSDT, but I do not know how.
  • And, but this is actually a problem I had before, when I boot via USB (2 or 3 does not matter), the System is dead when waking, i.e. endless spinning wheel when the system tries to read anything from that disk. Makes it difficult to actually test sleep and wake with my test system.

As soon as I try, I get the following:

View attachment 161401

This is using OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi. Now, if I use OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead, I can boot into safe mode, but then my native NVRAM does not work anymore. Does this happen to you as well? Any ideas?

This has happen to me to but intermittently and with other systems as well, I just cannot catch the pattern yet. I am just using Aptio v2 on all systems

This has happen to me to but intermittently and with other systems as well, I just cannot catch the pattern yet. I am just using Aptio v2 on all systems

Guess it is because of different memory allocation between the two driver versions, but unfortunately its happening all the time. I also asked the Clover devs, but nobody seemed to be able to help.

Hi Shilohh,

I used Apple's updates and got a black screen when I tried to boot. Do you know what I can do in the future to avoid this?

I did not get that far ahead in reinstalling all my apps so I just erased my drive again. This time I'm having problems with Wifi and sound again. I can't seem to install the drivers for some reason. Anyway, this is the message I get when I used your instructions for sound. Maybe I did something wrong with the DSDT? . My BIOS audio is not disabled but I will double check

View attachment 161270

Here is the message I get when I run the command in terminal. I checked the smuuid my config.plist and the last 12 digits of my ethernet address was correct. Any ideas what's up? Great build, I just keep making dumb mistakes for some reason.

Thanks
You have to boot using nv_disable=1 and run AGDPfix.app after OS X updates. The only way to avoid this step would be to use the MAcPro5,1 system definition but then you wouldn't has as good CPU power managent. If you decide you want to do that for your own simplicity, I'll send you the files.

Based on your screen above, I'd say your ACPI files are not loaded. Pleas mount your boot drives efi partition and go to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched delete SSDT-0 and SSDT-8 and SSDT-7 if it exists. Add the new files (SSDT-0 and SSDT-8) from the attached zip at the bottom of the OP. Then reboot.

Last I checked I could but I haven't tried in a while. I'll test when I get home.

And some points regarding the USB card (I use exactly the same 7-port model):

• The card apparently seems to use 2 hubs to achieve a total of seven ports. What I am wondering about is that one of these hubs shows up as an USB2(!) hub. As I see on your screen a few pages ago, you seem to have the same symptom.
  • The card does not charge devices while being in sleep or powered off - which is a bummer, since that was possible with the ASM1042 ports. Not sure if there can be anything done about that, since it also does not charge in windows while sleeping
  • It seems that there is not as much power available as with the ASM1042. While it still charges my iPad, this seems to be slower. Would be nice to have an App that actually shows the exact amount of current provied by the ports.
  • With 10.10 I do not see the "additional charging" information in the SysProfiler, and with 10.11 I do not see any current information at all. Is it the same with your setup? If I add a clock-id to a USB3 specific SSDT, the information is back, but then all devices are disconnected after sleep. But not sure if this information is more or less cosmetic, as the devices do in fact charge. Maybe I need a better SSDT, but I do not know how.
  • And, but this is actually a problem I had before, when I boot via USB (2 or 3 does not matter), the System is dead when waking, i.e. endless spinning wheel when the system tries to read anything from that disk. Makes it difficult to actually test sleep and wake with my test system.
The USB2 hub is a feature not a symptom. If you connect a usb2 device, it loads on that hub.

Yes the this USB3 card has a simpler feature set than the ASM chips. Did you connect the the inateck's power port to your power supply?

Please post the SSDT you are using and a ioreg if you want me to look at it. aapl,clock-id should not be used on any of your USB ports. xhc-clock-id could be used but I haven't found a need or reason.

The USB2 hub is a feature not a symptom. If you connect a usb2 device, it loads on that hub.

Interesting, you may be right! So it really seems to depend what you are connecting, but apparently it does not apply to all ports on the card, only to the ones connected to the hub.

Yes the this USB3 card has a simpler feature set than the ASM chips. Did you connect the the inateck's power port to your power supply?

Yes I did, but have no way of determining if that actually delivers power as it should. Question: do your devices charge while your machine is asleep or even powered down?

Please post the SSDT you are using and a ioreg if you want me to look at it. aapl,clock-id should not be used on any of your USB ports. xhc-clock-id could be used but I haven't found a need or reason.

I used clock-id in the past to prevent waking when moving the mouse or using the keyboard (yes, thats a feature for me). Currently I use a DSDT and SSDT based on your guide, but with some modifications. I post it here. Whats also interesting that even without clock id now, my machine refuses to wake from keyboard, which is actually a good thing.

Also contains an attempt to get my Firewire card show up correctly in SysProfiler and to get rid of the "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled" message, but I have not succeeded yet and so there might be an error. Also note that I included a fix to correctly display the Apple logo on boot in the GPU section.

If you want to take a look - sure! Would be appreciated.

View attachment patched.zip View attachment Darkside.ioreg.zip

Last edited:
You have to boot using nv_disable=1 and run AGDPfix.app after OS X updates. The only way to avoid this step would be to use the MAcPro5,1 system definition but then you wouldn't has as good CPU power managent. If you decide you want to do that for your own simplicity, I'll send you the files.

Based on your screen above, I'd say your ACPI files are not loaded. Pleas mount your boot drives efi partition and go to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched delete SSDT-0 and SSDT-8 and SSDT-7 if it exists. Add the new files (SSDT-0 and SSDT-8) from the attached zip at the bottom of the OP. Then reboot.

All this time I never learned how to use commands on the Clover GUI. How would I use nv_disable=1?

Also, you are saying to delete SSDT-8 and then to add? Did you mean to add SSDT-9?

Interesting, you may be right! So it really seems to depend what you are connecting, but apparently it does not apply to all ports on the card, only to the ones connected to the hub.
It doesn't matter what port I plug a device into. Devices load the same way in IOReg each time regardless of port for me.

Yes I did, but have no way of determining if that actually delivers power as it should. Question: do your devices charge while your machine is asleep or even powered down?
No this device does not supply power while off or in sleep.

I used clock-id in the past to prevent waking when moving the mouse or using the keyboard (yes, thats a feature for me). Currently I use a DSDT and SSDT based on your guide, but with some modifications. I post it here. Whats also interesting that even without clock id now, my machine refuses to wake from keyboard, which is actually a good thing.
My wired USB Keyboard and mouse both wake the system. You may want to check out the new ACPI files in the zip. I moved the USB2 fix to a separate SSDT as it isn't needed in OSs older than 10.11. OS 10.9-10.10 exhibit USB sleep wake bugs with this USB fix for 10.11.

Also contains an attempt to get my Firewire card show up correctly in SysProfiler and to get rid of the "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled" message, but I have not succeeded yet and so there might be an error. Also note that I included a fix to correctly display the Apple logo on boot in the GPU section.

If you want to take a look - sure! Would be appreciated.
Not sure what you mean by "Also note that I included a fix to correctly display the Apple logo on boot in the GPU section".

This code from MacPro5,1 (edited into its own ssdt for your system) works:
Code:
/*
 * Intel ACPI Component Architecture
 * AML Disassembler version 20100331
 * Disassembly of iASLi0crrQ.aml, Mon Nov  9 20:19:06 2015
 * Original Table Header:
 *     Signature        "SSDT"
 *     Length           0x0000009E (158)
 *     Revision         0x01
 *     Checksum         0x00
 *     OEM ID           "APPLE"
 *     OEM Table ID     "PCI3"
 *     OEM Revision     0x00001000 (4096)
 *     Compiler ID      "INTL"
 *     Compiler Version 0x20100331 (537920305)
 */
DefinitionBlock ("iASLi0crrQ.aml", "SSDT", 1, "APPLE", "PCI3", 0x00001000)
{
    Scope (_GPE)
    {
        Method (_L1A, 0, NotSerialized)
        {
            Notify (\_SB.PCI0.PEX0.FWBR.FRWR, Zero)
        }
    }

Device (_SB.PCI0.PEX0.FWBR)
    {
        Name (_ADR, Zero)
        Device (FRWR)
        {
            Name (_ADR, Zero)
            Name (_GPE, 0x1A)
            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
            {
                If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
                {
                    Return (Buffer (One)
                    {
                        0x03
                    })
                }

Return (Package (0x02)
                {
                    "fwhub", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                        0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                    }
                })
            }
        }
    }
}

You could also do:
Code:
/*
 * Disassembly of iASLJYpFxv.aml, Mon Nov  9 21:31:29 2015
 * Original Table Header:
 *     Length           0x00000116 (278)
 *     Checksum         0x0C
 *     OEM Table ID     "PCI3"
 */
DefinitionBlock ("iASLJYpFxv.aml", "SSDT", 1, "APPLE", "PCI3", 0x00001000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0.PEX0, DeviceObj)

Scope (_GPE)
    {
        Method (_L1A, 0, NotSerialized)
        {
            Notify (\_SB.PCI0.PEX0.FWBR.FRWR, Zero)
        }
    }

Scope (_SB.PCI0.PEX0)
    {
        Name (_SUN, 0x03)
    }

Device (_SB.PCI0.PEX0.FWBR)
    {
        Name (_ADR, Zero)
        Device (FRWR)
        {
            Name (_ADR, Zero)
            Name (_GPE, 0x1A)
            {
                If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
                {
                    Return (Buffer (One)
                    {
                        0x03
                    })
                }

Return (Package (0x06)
                {
                    "name", 
                    Buffer (0x24)
                    {
                        "FireWire IEEE-1394b OHCI Controller"
                    }, 

"model", 
                    Buffer ()
                    {
                        "XIO2200A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)"
                    }, 

"fwhub", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                        0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                    }
                })
            }
        }
    }
}
If you want it to show in PCI of sys report.

For USB3 you could do:
Code:
/*
 * Disassembly of iASLAPXKVP.aml, Mon Nov  9 21:34:37 2015
 * Original Table Header:
 *     Length           0x00000161 (353)
 *     Checksum         0x43
 *     OEM Table ID     "PCI2_USB"
 */
DefinitionBlock ("iASLAPXKVP.aml", "SSDT", 1, "APPLE", "PCI2_USB", 0x00001000)
{
    Device (_SB.PCI0.NPE1.XH01)
    {
        Name (_ADR, Zero)
        Name (MBSD, One)
        Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
        {
            0x09, 
            0x04
        })
        {
            If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
            {
                Return (Buffer (One)
                {
                    0x03
                })
            }

Return (Package (0x13)
            {
                "AAPL,slot-name", 
                Buffer (0x0B)
                {
                    "PCI Slot 2"
                }, 

"name", 
                Buffer (0x18)
                {
                    "USB 3.0 Host Controller"
                }, 

"model", 
                Buffer (0x07)
                {
                    "FL1100"
                }, 

"AAPL,current-available", 
                0x0834, 
                "AAPL,current-extra", 
                0x0A8C, 
                "AAPL,current-extra-in-sleep", 
                0x0A8C, 
                "AAPL,max-port-current-in-sleep", 
                0x0834, 
                "AAPL,device-internal", 
                Zero, 
                "AAPL,xhci-clock-id", 
                One, 
                Buffer (One)
                {
                    0x00
                }
            })
        }
    }
}

I like to keep everything separate for modularity but you seem to have the right idea if you want to combine all your PCI devices in 1 SSDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back