Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
First timer hackintosh build in progress is a socket 2011:
Intel core i7 3930k
GA X79S UP5 mother board
EVGA GeForce GT 640 2gb primary video
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4gb for GPU acceleration in Adobe Premiere not connected to a monitor (likely for windows only)
64gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 memory
2) SanDisk extreme 240 GB drives (one for mac one for windows)
4) Seagate Barracuda 2 TB SD2000DM001 (raid 5 or 10)
NZXT Hale 82 80 plus bronze ATX 850W PSU

Of course I removed all connections to extra drives and only the GT 640 in slot one is installed. so... i've been on this thing for a week learning how get the system going and had OS X snow leopard installed but got a spinning start up ticker and an apple but it wasn't spinning, just ticking one tick ever minute or so. So i figured it was confused about all the ram and I removed half of the it. Yep that was it! Okay so it loads right away and now I'm ready to install update OS X 10.6.8 and YIKES... kernel panic! So I remove the graphics card to refresh the bios and while removing the card the entire buss comes out with it. Return to Amazon, waiting for replacement, should be here today.

Meantime, I start researching here on Tonymac and what do I find but some really great information that I overlooked which explains the kernel panic when updating to OS X 10.8.6 Sandy Bridge system. Yes I'm a novice so I didn't realize that this mother board, even though it is a socket 2011, is a sandy bridge mother board.

I also remembered that right here on Tonymac they provide instructions for installing mountain lion directly without using snow leopard, so I grabbed a friends laptop that has snow leopard on it and that can be upgraded and I purchased mountain lion. My old imac (2006) doesn't upgrade to mountain lion so I couldn't use this machine to upgrade. I did have a box set of snow leopard which is why I attempted the install using that method first. Anyway I've gotten the USB stick prepared to do the install and I'm wondering if there is anything I should know or do differently because I've got an i7 3930k processor to keep the hackintosh from being sticky or sluggish.

I will update later to give progress on this build but I would love some feedback because I don't know a thing about kext or DSDT. More research here will help but of course it's always nice if someone knows what to do already and is willing to help out. :beachball:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back