Contribute
Register

HP ProBook 4730s Best Mountain Lion USB Installer Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to get my 4730s running Mountain Lion its a i7-2630QM, 1080p screen, BIOS F40. I used Rehabman's (http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html) process which worked flawlessly with my 4530s, it worked well for the 4730s but having issues booting up where the password screen either:

1) Is locked but its trying to look for a bluetooth keyboard, I cannot move the mouse or cannot type the password. The screen is also not in high resolution. I power down the 4730s and try again.

Go into SysPrefs -> Bluetooth, then Advanced. Turn off the two checkboxes for Bluetooth Setup Assistant.

2) On occasion it boots to the password screen but the password is in the bottom right of the screen (not great resolution), after entering the password I can change the resolution to 1600x900 or 1920x1200 and it works great.

I cannot get it to constantly boot with 1920x1200 resolution (I would be happy with 1600x900 too).

Use Chameleon Wizard to, edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist to set your resolution to the native resolution of your LCD panel: 1600x900. It is in the lower right marked "Graphics Mode" You wouldn't want 1920x1200 because 1) it is 16:10 aspect ratio and your panel is 16:9, and 2) your native resolution is not 1920x1200.

Any ideas if I used the right install process for the 4730s or should I try this threads process with xMove etc. If I need to use the the process starting with xMove, do I use the exact same process with the older Probook Installer and will I need to downgrade my BIOS to F20 since I have F40 running?

Definitely do not use this old guide/thread you've replied to.

Rehabman, thanks so much for your expertise and responding to posts so quickly, you cannot believe how appreciative I am of your valuable time. I made an incorrect statement and you caught it, I meant to say a resolution of 1920x1080 in my previous post and not 1920x1200, I apologize! Its good to know I followed the right thread for the install.

Can you answer another quick question, its a 'yes' or 'no' answer to limit your time. Will I be successful creating two OSX partitions on the same hard drive? In the end I am looking for 3 partitions, 2 for OSX and one for Windows 7. I have installed two partitions on my 4530s (OSX and Win7) and its extremely stable but I have not tried creating 2 OSX partitions yet.

If I were to ever meet you I would buy you a dinner.

Rehabman, thanks so much for your expertise and responding to posts so quickly, you cannot believe how appreciative I am of your valuable time. I made an incorrect statement and you caught it, I meant to say a resolution of 1920x1080 in my previous post and not 1920x1200, I apologize! Its good to know I followed the right thread for the install.

I kind of figured (but you never know)... but still the native resolution of your display is not 1080p, so you still want 1600x900.

Can you answer another quick question, its a 'yes' or 'no' answer to limit your time. Will I be successful creating two OSX partitions on the same hard drive? In the end I am looking for 3 partitions, 2 for OSX and one for Windows 7. I have installed two partitions on my 4530s (OSX and Win7) and its extremely stable but I have not tried creating 2 OSX partitions yet.

By two OS X partitions, you mean to install two different versions of OS X, or two copies of the same version, or do you just want a 'data' partition. No matter what it works (I have a single SSD with 3 OS X partitions, one for each ML, Lion, and SL).

Thanks, you answered my question and its great news. My plan is to run two OSX ML partitions and one Win 7 partition. FYI - I noticed there was no 1600x900x32 in Chameleon Wizard, so I chose 1920x1080x32... everything is so much better right now. What a relief!!

Since I have your attention:
1) Any Remote Desktop tool you recommend for my OSX (either iMac or my 4750s Hackintosh running ML) helping family members over the internet who have OSX devices (4530s Hackintosh running ML)?
2) Any Remote Desktop tool you recommend for OSX (either iMac or my 4750s Hackintosh running ML) helping family members over the internet who have iOS devices (eg. iPad 2)?

Please ignore the last questions if you like. I am starting to investigate options. Thanks!

Thanks, you answered my question and its great news. My plan is to run two OSX ML partitions and one Win 7 partition. FYI - I noticed there was no 1600x900x32 in Chameleon Wizard, so I chose 1920x1080x32... everything is so much better right now. What a relief!!

You can enter whatever you want in the box.

Since I have your attention:
1) Any Remote Desktop tool you recommend for my OSX (either iMac or my 4750s Hackintosh running ML) helping family members over the internet who have OSX devices (4530s Hackintosh running ML)?

I use Microsoft's RDP app to access my WHS2011 server on my LAN, but I'm not sure if that is what you're asking.
There is a built in remote desktop app for accessing Mac computers.

2) Any Remote Desktop tool you recommend for OSX (either iMac or my 4750s Hackintosh running ML) helping family members over the internet who have iOS devices (eg. iPad 2)?

Maybe you're talking about something like LogMeIn or TeamViewer?

You are so helpful, thanks for answering all the questions, you are truly a great person!!

Will this work with ML 10.8.4? I just got ML from the app store and 10.8.4 seems to be the only available version. Do I need special tricks?

Do I need Rehabmans or Mactitions guide?

Will the HD6490M work?

What is the Ultimate Mountain Lion Guide for the Probook 4730S?

Will this work with ML 10.8.4? I just got ML from the app store and 10.8.4 seems to be the only available version. Do I need special tricks?

Do I need Rehabmans or Mactitions guide?

Will the HD6490M work?

What is the Ultimate Mountain Lion Guide for the Probook 4730S?

You should follow the sticky guide at the top of the forum. This guide is old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back