Contribute
Register

HP ProBook 4730s Best Mountain Lion USB Installer Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

And thanks for this installation guide!

I'm having a bit of problem though. I've done everything to the usb stick (using ocz diesel 8gb) in your instructions, but after i install chimera on it (i assumed chimera is also supposed to be installed on the usb stick) and stick it back in, the system says "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." and when i try to boot from it, it just goes to the boot screen of my current OS (SL) and i can't select anything other than that hard drive.

I've tried different usb ports (including the usb3 one). Usb stick is formatted fat32.
Oh, and i guess my ML setup is 10.8.3 since i just purchased it yesterday.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks
M

Hi!

And thanks for this installation guide!

I'm having a bit of problem though. I've done everything to the usb stick (using ocz diesel 8gb) in your instructions, but after i install chimera on it (i assumed chimera is also supposed to be installed on the usb stick) and stick it back in, the system says "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." and when i try to boot from it, it just goes to the boot screen of my current OS (SL) and i can't select anything other than that hard drive.

I've tried different usb ports (including the usb3 one). Usb stick is formatted fat32.
Oh, and i guess my ML setup is 10.8.3 since i just purchased it yesterday.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks
M

Install stick must be MBR with HFS+(J) partition.
NO Chimera, UniBeast does all that is necessary.

Install stick must be MBR with HFS+(J) partition.
NO Chimera, UniBeast does all that is necessary.

Thanks for that install stick info (it could be updated to main instructions that usb stick should be MBR with HFS+(J) / Mac OS X Journaled?). After formatting it like that i tried Unibeast, but the installer just throws "an unknown" error after typing in account password and doesn't proceed.
I was able however to use the xmove / chimera combination to install ML with no hassle, but i'm unable to boot to ML from hard drive, i get these lines on the screen:
boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: GPT
boot0: error

Booting using the usb stick get's me through the loading screen to a grey screen with the mouse cursor visible and moving using external mouse, but it doesn't seem to proceed from there.

Any ideas what i could try to advance from here?

Your help is much appreciated and i will contribute any potentially useful information that i find!

Thanks for that install stick info (it could be updated to main instructions that usb stick should be MBR with HFS+(J) / Mac OS X Journaled?).

J was short for journaled, yes.

You seem to have missed the guide for unibeast. There also have been several probook-specific guides around, just read them all :D.

Booting using the usb stick get's me through the loading screen to a grey screen with the mouse cursor visible and moving using external mouse, but it doesn't seem to proceed from there.

This boot again needs the same boot arguments (-x, -f, etc.), until you have run ProBookInstaller to do its magic. That should also cure the boot0 error.

J was short for journaled, yes.

You seem to have missed the guide for unibeast. There also have been several probook-specific guides around, just read them all :D.

This boot again needs the same boot arguments (-x, -f, etc.), until you have run ProBookInstaller to do its magic. That should also cure the boot0 error.

Thanks man, now i got it booted up! With -x that is. Haven't fiddled around with these a lot nor in a long time (some years back made my first osx86 install on a desktop) so i'm not the sharpest pen :).

So with -x it worked fine, but quite slowly (took time to open windows etc). After that i used Probook Installer 6.1b5 (latest i think) to install the basic things based on cpu, screen and such. After that it booted from the hd, but now the screen is all weird (like totally; only a fourth of the screen visible and full of lines and glitches), wonder what did that. Also network stopped working and didn't go back up even if i installed the wifi driver (atheros 9285).
So i tried installing the basics from Probook Installer 5.1b1 (which got everything working for me on SL) and now the graphics are looking good (there are some glitches which i guess i can fix with some of the guides), wifi works, but system seems to freeze for a while every now and then. Also e.g. brightness and volume controls on keyboard don't work.

I'll keep on trying to test different installs and find information regarding these problems, but of course any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
M

ps. about the previous usb stick discussion, i meant just that in this instruction it doesn't say the usb stick should be formatted in a certain way, so it could be helpful to others to add it to the instructions, just a suggestion (also that the first boot after install should be done using usb stick). And thanks for the Unibeast link, haven't seen that one yet, there's so much information to take in.. Yeah, "read them all", thanks for that hint as well ;).

Thanks man, now i got it booted up! With -x that is. Haven't fiddled around with these a lot nor in a long time (some years back made my first osx86 install on a desktop) so i'm not the sharpest pen :).

Don't degrade yourself -- I'm at this project since January...

ps. about the previous usb stick discussion, i meant just that in this instruction it doesn't say the usb stick should be formatted in a certain way, so it could be helpful to others to add it to the instructions, just a suggestion (also that the first boot after install should be done using usb stick). And thanks for the Unibeast link, haven't seen that one yet, there's so much information to take in.. Yeah, "read them all", thanks for that hint as well ;).

There is been such a fast development going on that guides get outdated faster than you can write them. With the upcoming ProBookInstaller 6.1 the whole DSDT patching and Kext finding has become different for users, and the information for different hardware is scattered, hence "read them all". No insult intended!

dg

Is graphics card supported now?

I am trying to get my 4730s running Mountain Lion its a i7-2630QM, 1080p screen, BIOS F40. I used Rehabman's (http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html) process which worked flawlessly with my 4530s, it worked well for the 4730s but having issues booting up where the password screen either:

1) Is locked but its trying to look for a bluetooth keyboard, I cannot move the mouse or cannot type the password. The screen is also not in high resolution. I power down the 4730s and try again.

2) On occasion it boots to the password screen but the password is in the bottom right of the screen (not great resolution), after entering the password I can change the resolution to 1600x900 or 1920x1200 and it works great.

I cannot get it to constantly boot with 1920x1200 resolution (I would be happy with 1600x900 too).

Any ideas if I used the right install process for the 4730s or should I try this threads process with xMove etc. If I need to use the the process starting with xMove, do I use the exact same process with the older Probook Installer and will I need to downgrade my BIOS to F20 since I have F40 running?

Thanks for your help and please donate to this fantastic site!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back