Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done, man! You are absolutely in the expected range!

View attachment 290704

One important question though: Apparently you are using CPU Core Ratio set to " Sync All Cores" . But is your system stable with the latter BIOS setting, the i9-7980XE and 10.13?

Yes I'm using the most current HS 10.13.1 and although I can leave my "Sync All Cores" on for hours with no issues, I just choose not to. I'm mainly doing it for rendering tests and then switching it back to normal; with the only exception of keeping my XMP enabled.

My ONLY main issue is... how do I get ALL my emails from Apple Mail from my older system (Mac OS X 10.8.5) to my new one (Mac OS X 10.13.1)? I tried just taking the V2 folder and copying it over to an SSD and then putting it in the correct folder on the new system and it only imports about 1/10th of my emails (hardly any at all). I've looked online on various sites to no avail! This is probably the most frustrating thing for me, because I need those emails and if my old system dies, so will my emails. Now I do have a dropbox account that is currently backing up my emails but I don't know how get them from my existing dropbox account into my new system? Any input from anyone would be extremely helpful, thank you! :)

Not very efficient, but you could create a temporally email account with enough capacity and upload your Mails using IMAP and than downloading them on the other side. Or if your are familiar with Linux, Raspberry Pi etc, just set up your own mail server and use again IMAP as an transfer agent.

(Thats how I transferred my Emails from the old Outlook times)

My ONLY main issue is... how do I get ALL my emails from Apple Mail from my older system (Mac OS X 10.8.5) to my new one (Mac OS X 10.13.1)? I tried just taking the V2 folder and copying it over to an SSD and then putting it in the correct folder on the new system and it only imports about 1/10th of my emails (hardly any at all). I've looked online on various sites to no avail! This is probably the most frustrating thing for me, because I need those emails and if my old system dies, so will my emails. Now I do have a dropbox account that is currently backing up my emails but I don't know how get them from my existing dropbox account into my new system? Any input from anyone would be extremely helpful, thank you! :)

You can try with Import Mailboxes from File Menu in Mail.
Otherwise...if your all emails are in an old bootable system disk...I would try Migration Assistant.
Create a new user account where will be all your email (in new V5 format)..then copy to your actual user....fixing permissions!

"For sure one can download and install the full package installer like during the earlier 10.13 beta process.."
- OK thx for info... I thought mabybe you know path and can share it ;) but np, I will find it ;)

"But maybe you will be only able to do it once your iCloud, iMessage and Facetime problem is solved"
sorry I didn't understand that joke... :/ Maybe I'm only too tired with it, that's why I don't feel so great some jokes about that...
Btw I shared my config before, just for little check by you... if you don't find some little details which causes my iMsg problem...
but on the same time I feel in 99% -that is problem of new account and account verification.
I'm almost sure, it will works when I will change my smartphone on iPhone... soon...

BTW: New installation works very well with new BIOS implementations
Sleep/wake works much better than before, after 10-15 sec.:thumbup:

I think a rest of things works great... the. last one which wasn't tested by me - is Thunderbolt
which works very nice on Windows... but on OS X: "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded."
which is a little weird because if I remember well, it was ok before (1 moth ago)
I have to test it.. :p

I can't share the path as I avoid beta testing at present and therefore do not possess any knowledge about the actual procedure.. What else I should I do in addition to what I am already doing at present? Anyway, I guess it will be the same procedure as used during the beta testing..

Never loose your sense for humour, it would be really a pity. I really appreciate your sense for humour and I like to share!

Never thunderbolt drivers have been loaded officially, nor the thunderbolt card was apparent in the system report.

But nevertheless e.g. a TB hard drive connected to the TBEX 3 would show up in your system after boot and would be fully functional.

If you follow my TB guideline, TBEX 3 will be fully functional, but you can forget about sleep/wake.

It is indeed still fully functional as it also was fully functional 1 month ago!

As soon I find time, I will investigate your EFI-Folder... Promised!

Yes, I have lowered them even to 4.5 Ghz - This does not help the NVME install. Since the backup of Superduper failed (failed to make NVME bootable), also all the special partitions on my NVEM drive have disappeared - I guess I am due for a fresh install, but this time I will use the SSD instead of the NVME - it is much easier to maintain, because if something breaks, you still can access the SSD via Macbook and USB and make changes. The NVME is bricked on the mobo, like this it is really painful to repair and to get your system back working.

I will report later how the fresh install went ...

I agree on the adaptor for that SSD Nvme M.2 (M key) for SATA connection.. Kinda pain in the a** for access/recovery DATA from it. I went down on that road before and I only found a company in China selling that,

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073W4F9BC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-...617065?hash=item5d70fd7429:g:gj4AAOSww9xZGSBz

There is another company have the adaptor for U.2 connection
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HR0PKJQ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

But I still like the speed of that Nvme drive, like 5 times faster than regular SSD, :p:p:p

You can try with Import Mailboxes from File Menu in Mail.
Otherwise...if your all emails are in an old bootable system disk...I would try Migration Assistant.
Create a new user account where will be all your email (in new V5 format)..then copy to your actual user....fixing permissions!
I will try that method and hope that works. I'll let you know my results, thank you!:)

Hello to @ALL,
thanks to @kgp for the great guide...I think to build up a system soon with ASUS x299 Prime Deluxe.
Hope not to be off-topic, but I have 2 questions:
someone have tried the RAID hardware configuration through BIOS setup? can macOS see the RAID Disk/Volume?
other question is about a 10GbE ethernet card...what the best for macOS X?
This: ASUS XG-C100C...it uses the chip aquantia AQC107...maybe the same chip will be used inside iMac Pro...has anyone had the opportunity to try it?
Thank You very much!

- BIOS Hardware RAID impossible!

- You can create a software RAID with OSX...

- and of course there are many alternative and partly extremely costive solutions to create hardware raids to be recognised by OSX

10GB ethernet adapter.. no idea...

Sorry

Currently the AQC107 chip is on the Rampage VI Extreme also. macOS 10.13.2 beta 2 does detect the AQC107 and the kext is loaded. No link is established when connecting a cable. No physical lights on the back also. It does not work in it's current state on the R6E. That's all I can say about it, because I don't really need 10Gb Ethernet.

Thank you. :)

I really don't like when (very often) we don't have enough time for everything what we want to do..
and I don't want to take too much of your time, but only like that most of us can go further
which is not cool anyway because you do a lot for all of us ...here :)
OK it's not time to mention about a lot of things what I said 20-30 pages ago... :) btw Thank you! :)

About my humour, I think it's only one weird evening like that, cause (not cool) family and entourage things...
we have all some days like that :p

At this moment I prefer wake/sleep which work really nice, than TB which was used only for tests,
I will consider to totally turn and put it off because really don't need it now :)
We have so many USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports etc, my Vega works great with my 2 monitors so...
it doesn't make a sense to keep it inside :p actually hmmm...... maybe I will sell it :D

Reactions: kgp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back