Contribute
Register

Hiding drives from OSX (not chimera)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I finally did to stop my Ubuntu drive nag screen:

http://kingwin.com/products/cate/mobile/racks/kf_253_bk.asp

I bought two of these and put them in front where the CD Rom slots are in my case. Then I went into my Z77 Bios (UEFI?) and set the two bottom ones to be "removable" so I can pop them in when I want to boot to Linux/Win7.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but those things are cheap (~$25) and I got four extra USB 3 connections as well.

Yeah, the ubuntu one I can get out since it has a UUID... It's the Win7 RAID's that are wrecking my day.

Bump... Anyone got Amy ideas??

TinkerToolSystem allows you to hide partitions on boot. => System tab, then Volumes
(I'm using an older version, but I'm quite sure they have kept the feature)
It's a very useful tool for other things too and not expensive.

In conjunction with it, use Semulov (free) to mount/unmount volumes directly from the menu bar.

this happens because OS X doesn't find a partition it can read in the disks.

for your linux disk, make a very small partition with fat/extfat/hsf/hsf+ format and then you can tell OS X to not mount that partition, that will remove the message for the linux disk.

I don't know if you can create the small partitions in the RAID disks without damaging the RAID, but I think the solution is the same.

I have an alternative solution for hiding drives in OSX that i use on my system. I use the Automator

image.tiff
View attachment Automator Example 1.tiff

launch Automator from the Applications folder

Under Choose a type for your document: select "Application" then click Choose

This will give you the Automator application main workspace window (the right hand side will be blank)

On your desktop, highlight all the drives that you wish to hide from OS X and drag them onto the blank space in the Automator displaying the message "Drag actions or files here to build your workflow."

This will group and display the drives in a box with a blue outline

On the left hand side pane under Actions > Library , select Files & Folders

On the right hand side, locate Eject Disk from the list and select Eject Disk with a double click

The two should now be linked together so now we need to test it..

Hit the Run button on the top right hand side

A pop up will appear with the message "This application will not receive input when run inside Automator."

• Press OK
Your disks should now eject and you should have green check marks for both links as per the example image shown.

Next click Save and name it whatever you want, the destination will be the Desktop and the newly created Automator file should now be on your desktop

Open System Preferences > System > User & Groups > Login Items

click the + button and locate the Desktop then select the newly created Automator file you just made. Hit the Add button then exit System Preferences.

from now on when you log into OS X your disks will appear for a few seconds and then automatically eject.

• To test the app manually, you can mount the ejected drives with Disk Utility and eject them manually by double clicking the Automator file you created.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an alternative solution for hiding drives in OSX that i use on my system. I use the Automator

image.tiff
View attachment 69328

launch Automator from the Applications folder

Under Choose a type for your document: select "Application" then click Choose

This will give you the Automator application main workspace window (the right hand side will be blank)

On your desktop, highlight all the drives that you wish to hide from OS X and drag them onto the blank space in the Automator displaying the message "Drag actions or files here to build your workflow."

This will group and display the drives in a box with a blue outline

On the left hand side pane under Actions > Library , select Files & Folders

On the right hand side, locate Eject Disk from the list and select Eject Disk with a double click

The two should now be linked together so now we need to test it..

Hit the Run button on the top right hand side

A pop up will appear with the message "This application will not receive input when run inside Automator."

• Press OK
Your disks should now eject and you should have green check marks for both links as per the example image shown.

Next click Save and name it whatever you want, the destination will be the Desktop and the newly created Automator file should now be on your desktop

Open System Preferences > System > User & Groups > Login Items

click the + button and locate the Desktop then select the newly created Automator file you just made. Hit the Add button then exit System Preferences.

from now on when you log into OS X your disks will appear for a few seconds and then automatically eject.

• To test the app manually, you can mount the ejected drives with Disk Utility and eject them manually by double clicking the Automator file you created.

OK so a bunch of answers here.. All no's though.

They s1d2 bit will not work.. If I remember its because it doesn't mount to even be assigned that. No uuid even.

No go on tinker tools, as they just provide a front end to block via s1d2 method. I actually emailed with the dev I believe a while back.

These drives arent mounting at all to be able to eject or highlight...

I'm 80% sure I couldn't created a small partition on a pair of raid disks. Its not a bad thought though.

Once I get back I may make a YouTube video to post so everyone knows exactly what I am seeing. I think posted screenies once upon a time but it went no where then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back