Contribute
Register

Help configuring OpenCore for Gigabyte Z390 + i9-9900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, I got the same numbers after going through all your steps in post #2.
Now looking at post #1 again I'm not clear on something -
You explain for "Unlock MSR" to copy the EFI folder to the EFI partition on my USB drive.

I have my USB drive that is called "Boot" from going through all the OpenCore steps on Windows. Inside that "BOOT" drive is EFI > BOOT > BOOTx64.efi. Am I replacing the file there with the file that I downloaded in your step 1?

Or if not, do I boot from the USB drive and then install macOS? I see in your instructions you list "Unlock MSR" and then "Create Your USB Installer and Install macOS", so I think I am jumping in at a different section, having already done a lot in Windows, following the steps from SnazzyLabs guide.

Sorry for the confusion but if you could clarify what I need to do now that I've confirmed the numbers from post #2 I'd appreciate it.

Look for another USB flash drive so you don't have to mess with your OpenCore EFI.
  1. Initialize the new USB flash drive as HFS+/GUID.
  2. Mount the EFI partition of the new USB flash drive.
  3. Copy the EFI Shell EFI to the EFI partition of the new USB flash drive.
  4. Boot from that new USB flash drive.
  5. You should now be greeted with the Grub prompt and you can proceed.

Look for another USB flash drive so you don't have to mess with your OpenCore EFI.
  1. Initialize the new USB flash drive as HFS+/GUID.
  2. Mount the EFI partition of the new USB flash drive.
  3. Copy the EFI Shell EFI to the EFI partition of the new USB flash drive.
  4. Boot from that new USB flash drive.
  5. You should now be greeted with the Grub prompt and you can proceed.

Seems I'm stuck trying to boot from the USB flash drive.
I grabbed another USB stick, plugged it into my Macbook Pro and formatted it: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) / GUID
I'm assuming Mac OS Extended (Journaled) = HFS+ ?
Or do I need to initialize the USB drive on my Windows machine?

Next I googled how to mount the EFI partition of the newly formatted USB drive. I did that and dropped the EFI Shell "bootx64.efi" onto that mounted drive "EFI".

Then ejected and plugged it into my Windows 10 machine. It said it needed to be initialized to work, but I ignored that.
Then restarted the PC, hit "del" upon started to get into BIOS menu and selected USB drive, I think.

In BIOS, under "Boot" tab i have my Boot Option Priorities. Option #1 is: UEFI: General UDisk 5.00, Partition 1.
Option #2 is my 1TB Samsung SSD, Option #3 is my 512GB Samsung SSD, and Option #4 is General UDisk 5.00 (assuming that's the other partition of the USB drive?)

Under the Save & Exit menu there is "Boot Override". If I go down to "UEFI: General UDisk 5.00, Partition 1" and hit enter, the screen goes black, but then nothing happens. I'll wait several minutes, just black screen, and eventually force down the PC.

Seems I'm stuck trying to boot from the USB flash drive.
I grabbed another USB stick, plugged it into my Macbook Pro and formatted it: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) / GUID
I'm assuming Mac OS Extended (Journaled) = HFS+ ?
Or do I need to initialize the USB drive on my Windows machine?

Next I googled how to mount the EFI partition of the newly formatted USB drive. I did that and dropped the EFI Shell "bootx64.efi" onto that mounted drive "EFI".

Then ejected and plugged it into my Windows 10 machine. It said it needed to be initialized to work, but I ignored that.
Then restarted the PC, hit "del" upon started to get into BIOS menu and selected USB drive, I think.

In BIOS, under "Boot" tab i have my Boot Option Priorities. Option #1 is: UEFI: General UDisk 5.00, Partition 1.
Option #2 is my 1TB Samsung SSD, Option #3 is my 512GB Samsung SSD, and Option #4 is General UDisk 5.00 (assuming that's the other partition of the USB drive?)

Under the Save & Exit menu there is "Boot Override". If I go down to "UEFI: General UDisk 5.00, Partition 1" and hit enter, the screen goes black, but then nothing happens. I'll wait several minutes, just black screen, and eventually force down the PC.

Don't take it out of the EFI folder. Just drop the entire EFI folder in to the EFI partition.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 3.53.24 PM.png

okay got it. Did that and was able to boot from it, and saw the Grub screen. Entered the text as instructed and then went to Bios screen.
Now my machine will only boot to Grub on the USB drive.
I powered down, uplugged that USB drive and plugged in my USB drive with OpenCore to install macOS.
Now I get this message with the AORUS logo: OC: Configuration requires vault but no vault provided!

btw, I dropped the .aml files into the ACPI folder as you instructed, but I don't think I did anything to the config.plist file.. do I need to? I'm wondering if that is still left as the "sample.plist". All I did was drop those .aml files into the folder, so I don't know if there are more steps I need to complete before I'm ready to install macOS.

But back to this current problem, I no longer can boot my PC (future Hackintosh). When I go into Bios, neither of my Samsung SSD's show up anymore.

okay got it. Did that and was able to boot from it, and saw the Grub screen. Entered the text as instructed and then went to Bios screen.
Now my machine will only boot to Grub on the USB drive.
I powered down, uplugged that USB drive and plugged in my USB drive with OpenCore to install macOS.
Now I get this message with the AORUS logo: OC: Configuration requires vault but no vault provided!

OpenCore configuration is the issue... Try:

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 4.43.01 PM.png

what app are you in to view your config.plist file like that?
And once there, am I wanting Vault to show "Optional" like your screenshot?

btw, I dropped the .aml files into the ACPI folder as you instructed, but I don't think I did anything to the config.plist file.. do I need to? I'm wondering if that is still left as the "sample.plist". All I did was drop those .aml files into the folder, so I don't know if there are more steps I need to complete before I'm ready to install macOS.

But back to this current problem, I no longer can boot my PC (future Hackintosh). When I go into Bios, neither of my Samsung SSD's show up anymore.

Yes. You MUST tell OpenCore that you want it to load those aml files or it won't use them. This is also true for kexts.

what app are you in to view your config.plist file like that?
And once there, am I wanting Vault to show "Optional" like your screenshot?

You can use Xcode or PlistEdit Pro to edit the config.plist.

Yes, use "Optional" to get around the error you encountered.

Yes. You MUST tell OpenCore that you want it to load those aml files or it won't use them. This is also true for kexts.
Great. Now that I'm not following a step-by-step guide and am obviously unfamiliar with this, how exactly do I tell OpenCore to use those aml files? And the kexts? (or anything else for that matter).

Appreciate your help by the way. If it'd be easier I can invite you on my Slack channel, but maybe others will benefit from following the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back